Menu

Maximize health insurance benefits before year end

Pegasus

I would appreciate everyone's thoughts on ways to maximize our health insurance benefits before year end.  These apply for folks who have hit their deductible and/or out of pocket maximum.  If you haven't, it may be better to postpone expenses to next year.

1. Squeeze in any planned/needed appointments, tests, etc. Most of us are prone to procrastination but now's the time to get an appointment before years end!

2. Get all prescription refills in December.  I'm actually considering asking my doctor for a new 90-day script on one expensive med that I'm currently filling every 30 days. If I fill the 90-day script in Dec, that will last me the first quarter of 2018 before I have to pay out of pocket for the next refill.

3. If you have a FSA, check your balance and the rules for when you must use it up.  Make plans to use the total before you lose it, even if it is for items that are not absolutely essential (a new set of prescription sunglasses, an extra order of contact lenses, etc.)

Would love to hear other ideas.  It's been an expensive year here and hoping for a much less expensive new year.

• Like 1

I would appreciate everyone's thoughts on ways to maximize our health insurance benefits before year end.  These apply for folks who have hit their deductible and/or out of pocket maximum.  If you haven't, it may be better to postpone expenses to next year.

1. Squeeze in any planned/needed appointments, tests, etc. Most of us are prone to procrastination but now's the time to get an appointment before years end!

2. Get all prescription refills in December.  I'm actually considering asking my doctor for a new 90-day script on one expensive med that I'm currently filling every 30 days. If I fill the 90-day script in Dec, that will last me the first quarter of 2018 before I have to pay out of pocket for the next refill.

3. If you have a FSA, check your balance and the rules for when you must use it up.  Make plans to use the total before you lose it, even if it is for items that are not absolutely essential (a new set of prescription sunglasses, an extra order of contact lenses, etc.)

Would love to hear other ideas.  It's been an expensive year here and hoping for a much less expensive new year.

If it's a medication you take on a regular set schedule (once or twice a day, etc.) then unless you're due for a refill--if your existing prescription for that particular medication isn't going to run out within the next week or so--I don't think most insurance companies will authorize a refill, even with a new prescription.

• Like 1

If it's a medication you take on a regular set schedule (once or twice a day, etc.) then unless you're due for a refill--if your existing prescription for that particular medication isn't going to run out within the next week or so--I don't think most insurance companies will authorize a refill, even with a new prescription.

IME if there is a new prescription for a longer term the insurance company might balk, but generally will allow it to be refilled ultimately.  If there is any change (in dosage), they will allow it.  If you switch to their 90-day supply mail order pharmacy, they will generally allow it unless you just had a 30-day refill.  The mail order allows a longer time frame for pills you have left/refilling.  Usually, they will allow a refill of a 30-day supply at the pharmacy with a couple weeks left.  (We have way too much experience with medication refills in this house.)

Edited by Butter

You can check to see if the pharmacy can call for an override to fill the prescription early. I can get three "vacation overrides" per year.

Don't forget dental & vision.  If you are the procrastinator (I am really good at getting my kids in regularly.  Me? not so much.)  have someone else make the appt for you.  If Dh makes the appt, I won't miss but I rarely get around to making the appt for myself.   Do it now so that any follow-up can also happen this year.

If anyone is eligible for free glasses, but doesn't "need" new ones right now, get the free ones anyway for back-up or for your 72-hour kit.  My 3 glasses wearers never like any of the "free or very inexpensive," frames, so we get the more expensive ones but not every year.  On the year when we are not getting new glasses we get the free ones to have on hand.  Dh gets prescription sunglasses every other year.

Amber in SJ 

Already on that page! We hit our out-of-pocket in March.

I'm two years overdue for MRI's on my arthritic joints, so I'm getting that lined up. 

One of my college kids is overdue for an endoscopy, so we have that scheduled for November.

I was at the allergy doctor last week, and she said I'm due for retesting and new extracts in January. I had the office staff check, and insurance is fine if I do it in mid-December.

Thanks for the reminder. I just looked up what ours will and will not cover.

Need to make an eye appointment for myself and new glasses. If there is a bit left at the end I will buy first aid supplies as I didn't know those were covered....stock up on all those things that seem to disappear just before we need them.