Menu

Air duct cleaning

maize

Not sure about air ducts, but do clean your dryer vents.   DH almost had a major house fire in a home he was renting.  Luckily, he realized that the room was way too hot, unplugged the dryer, and called the rental company.  Apparently the vents had never been cleaned and it was a disaster waiting to happen.  No smoke detectors either.  

My neighbors who had their air ducts cleaned also had malfunctioning central heating/air-conditioning. So it was repairing the central heating and cleaning air ducts at the same time.

EPA has a long article on their website.

Should You Have the Air Ducts in Your Home Cleaned? https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quality-iaq/should-you-have-air-ducts-your-home-cleaned#deciding

• Like 1

Not sure about air ducts, but do clean your dryer vents. DH almost had a major house fire in a home he was renting. Luckily, he realized that the room was way too hot, unplugged the dryer, and called the rental company. Apparently the vents had never been cleaned and it was a disaster waiting to happen. No smoke detectors either.

I specifically asked about dryer vent cleaning in a 3rd floor apartment before we moved in to with in-suite laundry. The woman was rather startled by the question, but brushed it off as maintenance that does occur on a cyclical schedule. Fast forward 1.5 months to when my clothes that took longer than normal to dry weren't getting dry at all anymore. The dryer worked fine, but the vent from the laundry closet in the hallway through the bedroom ceiling across the hall and to the great outdoors - plugged SOLID. It took the maintenance man about three hours and several tools to get that sucker cleaned out. The mess that ended up on all the cars parked 3 floors below was a sight to behold.

I was less than impressed and wondered how long it would take for one of the neighbours to have a dryer fire if theirs looked like ours did! Luckily DH got orders and we were able to break the lease a few months after that so I didn't have to stick around to find out.

I can't answer the air duct cleaning question.

• Like 1

Our furnace repair guy said that it wasn't necessary unless a new furnace is being installed. Other than that, he said to take the vent cover off and vacuum down in the vent as far as the vacuum hose can reach. Do that with all of the vents in the house.

Edited by Fifiruth

I worked for a HVAC company years ago and while they did them often (even did the blue light to kill bacteria and such) the only ones that needed done were in cases of mold or if you had duct repair (to make sure there was no mold after the repair). We were in Florida where the air is so wet you feel like your skin is molding but in more temperate climates I wouldn't think it was an issue. 

• Like 2