Menu

When it rains it pours

kewb

My fridge is on life support. I just need it to make it to the next appliances go on sale holiday. It is, of course, a size no longer made. There is one fridge that fits the space without leaving weird and ugly spaces.

I have accepted this and am just hoping it hangs on.

The other day the selector knob on the oven broke. I can work it with pliers. Guess what part is no longer made because my oven is over 20 years old. In the kind of cool category, I can get the part on eBay for $250 because they are 3d printing it. Which is an amazing thing, however, I am not paying that kind of money for a knob.

We replaced the dishwasher maybe 10 years ago so I am hoping that keeps working.

We have a selector knob that broke on our stovetop too.  The fan is done for too.  I am considering hiring someone to come and fix it but since we definitely have plans to redo the kitchen, we don't want to replace the stovetop just for one burner that needs to be turned by pliers and missing fan.  

I hear your pain.

After we had lived in our home 10 years (we built it), everything decided to break at about the same time.  The fridge, the stove, the dishwasher, the washing machine, the garbage disposal, and the hot water heater along with a variety of small appliances.  I called it appliance armageddon.  

• Like 1

I have owned a dryer for going on 13 years that I have had to use a pliers to turn the selector knob for pretty much its entire life. The plastic knob broke in the first year and the replacement I bought broke shortly ater. The pliers, however, works everytime. Part of the post the knob is supposed to sit on broke when one of the males in this house used the dryer, but I can still turn it on with my pliers!

Dh insists that having to run the dryer twice to dry a normal size load is not normal. Yes, yes, but we need a sale first because the washer needs to be replaced too so I'll hand on for the sales with you.

It is oddly comforting to know I am not the only one using pliers to operate an appliance.

My daughter rolled her eyes at me when I told her there is no new knob coming and we are using the pliers. Not replacing the oven because of a $5 piece of plastic.

This year we've replaced our dishwasher, dryer, and hot water heater.  We've been here nearly 10 years and the only things left to replace are the range and the fridge.  Everything else has been replaced at least once, twice for some (dishwasher, washing machine, hot water heater.)  

The freezer door on our bottom-freezer fridge is being held together with a tent stake.  The door hinge broke and it's (of course) a part that isn't made anymore.  I'm hoping it hangs on (literally) until next year. 

Am I the only one who feels betrayed by their appliances when they break?  I'm developing appliance trust issues.  

• Like 1