Menu

quick! Easy treats that are heat tolerant and can be made in bulk

ktgrok

I found out a friend of mine has a husband that is one of the linemen working to restore power here in Florida. I'm going to make up some kind of sweet treat (she said they like sweets) to take to her, and he will distribute to his crew. Cupcakes or anything with frosting will be destroyed in the heat. I'm thinking more like muffins or brownies or something? Something easy for me to do fairly quickly given I have a 5 month old and other kids. 

I have on hand some flour, (more whole wheat than regular I think) cocoa powder, chocolate chips, peanut butter, sugar, brown sugar, powdered sugar, plus the usual baking soda/powder/salt/spices/etc. 

I think I have pumpkin. Maybe pumpkin chocolate chip muffins? 

Or can I make some kind of brownie in a muffin tin? I have multiple tins so that would be easier than a million cookies I think. 

I just made a couple batches of scones. Would that work? A little less messy than muffins. Easy to use the pumpkin and/or the chocolate chips, and probably a little more durable for transporting.

maybe, I forget how hard are scones to make, lol? It's been a long time. 

Brownies I actually do a box mix. The Pillsbury mix has directions to make them in a 10x15 cookie sheet. Basically just make two boxes--can't remember the cooking time but it's on the box. If you put parchment paper on the pan first, it's easy to lift out the whole rectangle and then cut them into whatever size you want. Much easier to make a lot of brownies this way--definitely easier than scooping cookies.

• Like 2

Cookies, but probably not chocolate chip because the chocolate will melt. Oatmeal raisin would probably hold up, as would molasses, peanut butter, or M and M. A drop cookie recipe would be pretty quick. 

You could also try jam streusel bars -- make a streusel, put half of it to cover the bottom of an 8x8, spread it with jam, then put the rest on top and bake it at 350 20-25 minutes. 

Years ago I sent a care package to a military friend deployed overseas. I made rice krispy treats and brownies--which he appreciated--but what he appreciated even more was that each was wrapped individually in plastic wrap. He was a mechanic and liked being able to grab/eat a treat by holding onto the wrapper and not worry about getting grease on it. You could use sandwich bags in place of wrap. Just throwing this out there as something to consider.

As to easy treats, I agree with the suggestion for blondies or unfrosted brownies as you can bake a whole batch at once vs scooping cookie dough and baking it a pan or two at a time.

Edited by Cinder