Menu

What were your first signs of perimenopause and how old were you?

I'm a week away from 40 and for the last several months my periods have started fluctuating some-I used to be every 28 days and now I'm ranging from 26-32, periods are heavier, I now get PMS before ovulation rather than before my period! My mom had a normal and uneventful menopause, so that's good news, from what I understand.

So I don't know what this all means, if anything, and wondered what others' experiences have been!

I was 44. Cycles became much shorter, sometimes twice a month. I started experiencing cramps such as those I had as a teen. My periods are MUCH heavier, especially day 2 and 3. I had hot flashes, usually during the night. Once I began using a natural progesterone cream the symptoms became bearable.

Symptoms started lighter than these but by age 44 this is where I am. 'Tis a pain in the buttocks. :glare:

Oh...someone mentioned their doctor not recognizing their symptoms as premenopause. Neither did mine when I was 42 and experiencing every symptom on my very long list except night time hot flashes. :001_huh: (I have them during the day!) And my doctor was a female!

I also have pms for the first time in my life. There are days when I could just rip someones head off.

It is SUCH fun being female sometimes. :D

Shorter cycles early-to-mid 40s. Possibly more emotional. I don't know -- I've calmed down, and whether it's due to still more changes due to aging or to diet, I'm not sure. Also, my cycles have gone back to normal, and I don't know if it was just a couple more years of age that did it, or again, diet. Maybe a combo.

(It's all about the fish oils for me. Also, stinging nettle infusion daily, and lots of greens. Yoga and exercise daily, and no caffeine.)

I happened to get a copy of Susun Weed's book, The New Menopausal Years, and it was great -- discussed all of the symptoms in a way I could relate to. Also, my midwife has been there, done that, and is great.

I had my last baby at 40, and definitely went into premenopause when my cycles returned a year later. Thankfully my internist's wife is the same age as I am, and he is very well-read about female problems :). I went on natural progesterone cream and a flax oil suplement, and am just about like I was pre-baby (which was almost 9 years ago), although I now have hot flashes for the day or two before my cycle and tend to run "warm" all the time. I pretty much wear short sleeves all the time now, even when teaching my college classes!

Most of the women in my family went into menopause rather suddenly at 50, but I'm figuring that I'll go longer.

Thank you, thank you! I wondered why my periods were getting heavier, I thought they'd start getting lighter. I think I'd better get that book and learn more about it!

And what kind of natural progesterone creams did you use-were they prescription or what? I want to start looking into that more for when I'll eventually need it:tongue_smilie: