Menu

I need opinions on my son's idea

Alexigail

My son is 8 and loves to draw. He recently had an idea that he could sell his drawings and give some of the money to the Humane Society (25%).  He also has ASD and doesn't understand social nuance. He assumes that everyone will want to pay top dollar for his drawings. He wants me to set up a facebook page to sell his drawings and has spent the last two days drawing and talking about his project.

On one hand, I love his enthusiasm, especially since some of this is to help animals. (has already taken up a collection for the Humane Society that he often asks people to donate their change to.) On the other hand, I'm concerned about how this will come across. These are made with love but not super high quality by any means. I would hate to do this and have people make ugly comments. I also don't want people to think we're running some kind of scam. What are your thoughts about this idea? I welcome honest opinions about making this work or an alternate plan.

By the way, this idea came because my sister offered him $20 for one of his drawings and posted it to Facebook. Her friends responded enthusiastically that they would also pay for one of his drawings. This was obviously a sweet gesture, but my son has run away with the idea. 

Boy, do I feel you. My 5 year old (autism, too) loves to draw -- but ONLY aliens and similar, lol. He would love to do something like this, but (like you) I worry about the actual logistics and how it would come across. Mostly, I'm worried about people being ugly with him :(

• Like 1

I would try to turn the drawings into a calendar or something like that. I'd make it clear that this was to support the Humane Society. I'd also try to get someone at the Humane Society to somehow endorse the project so people can be reassured that it was legit.

That's a slick idea! Then it has a culminating point and a natural end too. :)

He sounds like he has a real entrepreunerial bent! That's not all bad. 

• Like 1

How about making a couple into greeting cards? You could package up sets of 5 and sell them as a bundle. Well packaged they might do well at a farmer's market.

I was going to suggest greeting cards. If you offer a price point at $5 or less, people can impulse buy, either for themselves or as future gifts.

A local pet store might be willing to have them available at a check out counter.

ETA

For myself, I will often want to support something local, as long as price is very reasonable. Notice I said price, not value. Whether the package has 10 cards or 5 cards or fewer is not important. Info about the artist and the charity means I can give them as a meaningful gift.

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 4

The notecards are a fantastic idea! You can package them in a cello bag (check the dollar store) with a card (Vista Print usually has free deals) with info about your son and the charity. Shops may not display them unless you're a legit 501c3 because they have to 1099 vendors and keep everything kosher for their tax purposes. (Mentioning that because it's not the shop being mean to a kid! :) )

• Like 3

I think people would be supportive of a child. My concern would be the effect on my child if the support dries up as he ages.

If it's a fleeting thing that can just be for fun it's different than if it will be seen as something that will only get bigger and better and more profitable, kwim?

• Like 1