Menu

Books similar to Hunger Games for 10YO?

mskelly

Are you looking for post apocalyptic type stories?  Sci Fi in general?  Something else?

Possible options:

Maximum Ride Series

City of Ember series

Maze Runner series

Ender's Game

Virals by Kathy Reich

Found by Margaret Peterson Haddix

A Boy and His Dog by A.M. Lightner

The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Lucky Starr Series (Isaac Asimov)

Red Planet (Robert Heinlein)

The Star Beast (Robert Heinlein)

Have Space Suit Will Travel (Robert Heinlein)

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh 

• Like 4

At 10 yo my son loved the City of Embers and The People of Sparks. He also loved The Uglies which is a series by Scott Westerfield. It is a dystopian series written before it was the cool thing to write ;) He also really liked the series about cats. I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called but it was a long series and it was more fantasy I believe. Maybe someone else knows what it is called.

• Like 3

At 10 yo my son loved the City of Embers and The People of Sparks. He also loved The Uglies which is a series by Scott Westerfield. It is a dystopian series written before it was the cool thing to write ;) He also really liked the series about cats. I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called but it was a long series and it was more fantasy I believe. Maybe someone else knows what it is called.

Cat Warriors?

http://www.warriorcats.com/

• Like 1

Also, Alan Dean Foster wrote quite a few books in a Universe I found interesting.  The Thranx Commonwealth books cover a wide range of titles and types.  Here are a few...

Pip and Flinx Adventure Series 

Icerigger Trilogy

Cachalot

Nor Crystal Tears

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 1

The idea from the Hunger games came from the Greek Myth "Theseus and the Minotaur". My son was reading the book and I glanced and I started to skim through the book when I realized the plot is similar to the Hunger Games. I googled and found out the author did in fact get the idea for the Hunger Games from the myth. So he might like the original story.

• Like 2

single books:

Things Not Seen (Clements)

The Ear, The Eye, and The Arm (Nancy Farmer)

Floodland (Marcus Sedgwick)

Off The Road (Nina Bawden)

series:

Among the Hidden series (Haddox)

Tripods series (Christopher) -- start with the prequel When the Tripods Came, written 20 years after the trilogy

City of Ember series (DuPrau) -- can skip book 3 (Prophet of Yonwood), an optional "prequel"

Greensky trilogy: Below the Root; And All Between; Until the Celebration (Zilpha Keatly Snyder)

lighter (non-dystopian) adventure in future or alternative settings:

Mars Evacuees series (McDougall)

Infinity Ring series (Dashner)

Artemis Fowl series (Coifer)

Nick of Time; Time Pirate (Bell)

Leviathan, Behemoth, Goliath trilogy (Westerfeld) -- fun steam-punk adventure in an alternative WW1 world

PS

I love OneStepAtATime's list :) -- I would just suggest previewing, as some of the books are a bit intense. Ender's Game, for example, was written in the 1980s for adults, and over the last 10 years or so has slowly been shifted downward into high school and now even middle school, although I don't think it is appropriate for all "tweens" -- it has some very brutal, realistic child-on-child fighting scenes, and children are treated very roughly by adult military characters to toughen them into brutal child-soldiers.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

Ender's Game is much more intense than The Hunger Games, imo, and more twisted.  

Someday well into the future he may want to watch Battle Royale, which preceded it (wait until he is at least 15 or 16 as it is bloody).

Maybe the Divergent/Insurgent/Allegiant books?  Not as much death, somewhat less cynical, not as well written.  

The Giver is similarly dystopian, but somewhat less action-oriented.  Great writing quality, though.

The Ember books are very good.  Geared toward a younger crowd but not stupid at all, and elegantly written.

Beware the Warrior Cats books.  Your kids will start acting like fighting feral cats.  It is miserable.

Edited by eternalsummer
  • Like 3

Lori D's list is excellent.

Other books that he might like:

Citizen of the Galaxy (Robert Heinlein)

Space Cadet (Robert Heinlein)

The Forgotten Door (Alexander Key)

Time Traders Series (Andre Norton)

Moon of Mutiny, Outpost of Jupiter and The Mysterious PLanet (Lester del Rey)

The Cat From Outerspace by Ted Key

And I agree with up thread, Gregor the Overlander series might be a good choice.

If I think of anything else I will post.

• Like 1