Menu

S/O: How do you know when to consider speech therapy?

Rhondabee

An acquaintance and I were talking - we have kids the same age - and she mentioned her 3yo was starting speech therapy. And, she really encouraged me to have my 3yo tested, saying that if we didn't catch things soon enough, it would just be paramount to neglect.

OK - if you didn't catch the sarcasm - I frankly think she was over-reacting a bit. My dd speaks much better than my 10yods did at her age, and he's fine.

But, in another thread someone indicated that different speech problems are considered "critical" at different times. Is there a list of what should be mastered when somewhere?

Thanks,

Rhonda

Last year my DD started at 3 at the school. She said she was GLAD to have a young one - that it really is easier to fix stuff starting early. She said most Peds won't refer around here that young (I self referred at 3, the ENT wanted her getting services but didn't want to step on the Peds toes - he was the one that said, WAIT, she turned 3, we are cool - call this number!).

DD was pretty much all over with mix-ups. Enough they can't tell me - "she has X and Y to fix and will be done". I could really tell the difference in her over the summer. By the end of school we could understand her - end of summer we all needed a translator.

I wish we could do private - but that isn't an option right now.

The ones that drive me crazy her sisters apparently had down early, so it makes it really bad! LOL!!

I'd find the list of what is considered behind when and go from there.

At least for us,having a child evaluated was easy and free via the ps system.

When we moved to MS, my youngest was 2 1/2, and I noticed that whenever she talked, adults would look at me to "translate". I could understand her fine, but thats a red flag.When she was 3, I called the school and they did a bunch of tests on her development and speech. It was great- we knew where she was on all sorts of stuff, like fine motor skills, etc, not just speech.

Her speech was fine, by the way, she just talked really fast and well...we were in the deep South! I would not hesitate to recommend the ps for services like this if you think your child might need them. Addressing it early is easier, and far cheaper than when they "age out" unless they are in ps. And it can't *hurt* anything to have a child evaluated- no one is going to force you into speech therapy if you don't want.

I did a google search and found this article that has a list and these guidelines:

As a rough guide, your child’s speech should be understood by a stranger:

• 25 per cent by age one,

• 50 per cent by age two,

• 75 per cent by age three, and

• 90 per cent or greater by age four.

This might be helpful too:

http://www.childrensdisabilities.info/speech/milestones.html

When my second son was 3 years old, I knew he wasn't talking as well as he should be, but because he was so young, I didn't take it seriously enough...until my MIL gently prodded me to take him to get evaluated.

He was evaluated through the ps system for free, and he ended up having speech therapy for 2 years. His therapist was so nice. I never did call it "speech therapy" with him, just preschool. I didn't want to make a big deal out of it and make him feel inferior.

If there is a genuine problem, it needs to be dealt with right away. It couldn't hurt to at least get your child checked. :001_smile: I hope everything works out well for you.

My youngest's doctor would have liked her to be evaluated at age 2, but I wasn't concerned. I tend to think that kids speak at different rates just like they do everything else at different rates. However, when she still was not intelligible at age 3 and her sisters were not translating for her, we did have her evaluated. Her articulation was below the 1st percentile for girls her age and she had 3 years of speech therapy. As it turns out, she has other language based learning differences, so she probably would not have outgrown her speech problems.

My middle child's speech was unintelligible to strangers most of the time until she was 3 or so, but I wasn't concerned about it because dh, her big sister, and I could all understand her. By age 5, the only problem she had was a lateral lisp with s blends that we worked on at home. That was gone unless she was tired by age 7 or so, and eventually she didn't have the lisp anymore even when she was tired.

Edited by LizzyBee

Who do you call to get in touch woth someone from the ps system for an evaluation like this? I've been concerned about mt 3.5yo ds.

Each school district is different, so they may have different procedures for these things. In general, if your child is three you can call your local elementary school and ask to speak with the speech therapist assigned to that school. You will probably schedule directly with that therapist for testing. They are usually booked for months at a time.

If your child is under 3, you will probably need to call your local early intervention or infant & toddler services office. They can usually schedule and test rather quickly. These services are generally free and they come to your home for all services unless you enroll in their preschool.

HTH

Sue

My son watched talking letter factory every day for a month right before he turned 2. The last week or week and 1/2, he really started to learn all his letter sounds. At the same time, his speech improved dramatically (he wasn't really behind for a boy, in fact, after his speech improved, I had several people comment on how well he spoke for a boy.) I think hearing the speech sounds in isolation was really helpful for him. It could be just a coincidence, but it's a cheap movie, and you'll want them to know their letter sounds and names eventually anyway.

I'd try that first!

My youngest's doctor would have liked her to be evaluated at age 2, but I wasn't concerned. I tend to think that kids speak at different rates just like they do everything else at different rates. However, when she still was not intelligible at age 3 and her sisters were not translating for her, we did have her evaluated. Her articulation was below the 1st percentile for girls her age and she had 3 years of speech therapy. As it turns out, she has other language based learning differences, so she probably would not have outgrown her speech problems.

LOL, that was us at the end of the summer - not even the sisters could figure out what she was trying to say. Mrs H - you done with summer - we need you back! :tongue_smilie:

By age 3, 90% of 3yo's have mastered p, m, h, n, w. By age 4, most have mastered b, k, g, d, f, y.

HTH.

Yes, yes! That really helps. I really needed something objective, especially since she will only talk to you once she *really* likes you -LOL- kind of eliminates the test of "can a stranger understand her"!

According to your list, we are more than fine. I do hope your post doesn't get too buried - it will certainly help some other moms I'm sure.

BTW - while looking online, I did find this guide to helping teach your child how to pronounce different letters. Maybe it will help someone, too:

http://helpforkidspeech.com/articles/detail.cfm?TextID=59

(One day'll I'll learn how to rename my links - maybe.)

Thanks, FoS!

My son watched talking letter factory every day for a month right before he turned 2. The last week or week and 1/2, he really started to learn all his letter sounds. At the same time, his speech improved dramatically (he wasn't really behind for a boy, in fact, after his speech improved, I had several people comment on how well he spoke for a boy.) I think hearing the speech sounds in isolation was really helpful for him. It could be just a coincidence, but it's a cheap movie, and you'll want them to know their letter sounds and names eventually anyway.

I'd try that first!

We are learning our letter sounds now, very slowly. But, we got to /d/, and she can't differentiate between /d/ and /t/. I didn't even realize there *was* a Leapfrog movie. Sounds like a great idea!

Thanks,

Rhonda

1. For a list of speech/language developmental milestones from birth through early elementary school, you can go here

This is the American Speech Language and Audiology Association's website with information about typical speech and language development.

2. IMHO, early intervention for speech and language disorders is always best. However, there is a wide range of normal in early language development and depending on the agency providing the services, they may have different levels of criteria for recommending therapy services. When I worked in outpatient hospital setting, we had more leeway to see mild disorders/delays than when I worked in public school, for example.

If you are comfortable with your child's language skills, than go with your gut. In my professional experience (about 10 years) moms seem to "know" when something isn't quite right. And, if something in your gut says there is a problem and your pediatrician doesn't agree, advocate for your child anyway and try to get an evaluation.

I hope this is helpful to you. If you have more questions, you can email me privately.

If you are comfortable with your child's language skills, than go with your gut. In my professional experience (about 10 years) moms seem to "know" when something isn't quite right. And, if something in your gut says there is a problem and your pediatrician doesn't agree, advocate for your child anyway and try to get an evaluation.

I hope this is helpful to you. If you have more questions, you can email me privately.

I agree with the gut thing - i worked for over a year to get DD evaluated. I knew what i was hearing she wasn't making certain sounds correctly. She wasn't going to outgrow it.

I just figure that my prop tax money will go toward the speech therapy (and our therapist is good, i'd prefer private but well, that isnt' happening right now).

Now off to check your link!

My youngest is nearly 2 1/2 and I've been concerned about her speech for over a year. I tried to get a referral to an ENT but the GP told me to wait until she was 3 and put her in speech therapy. I saw an ENT (my dad ended up referring me:) ) and she has a hearing issue which is affecting her speech. My point is, hearing problems can affect speech development so make sure you get that checked too.

My 4yr old is speech delayed. He was referred to Early Childhood Intervention for evaluation. He ended up having services for a year til he aged out at 3. He has improved but is still VERY difficult to understand unless he speaks slowly. He says everything 2 or 3 times to get it right.

My 3yr old just started talking on his 3rd birthday. He is shy and won't talk to just anyone. I need to have him evaluated. When he does speak, he is understandable.

What has helped both my guys is http://www.starfall.com. The Learn the ABCs page is wonderful for helping them practice the letter sounds. They repeat the sound after they click on it.

My oldest was speech delayed and turned out to have some other language based LDs as well. I so wish we could afford to send the 2 little guys to the same private school he went to. SIGH!

1. For a list of speech/language developmental milestones from birth through early elementary school, you can go here

This is the American Speech Language and Audiology Association's website with information about typical speech and language development.

2. IMHO, early intervention for speech and language disorders is always best. However, there is a wide range of normal in early language development and depending on the agency providing the services, they may have different levels of criteria for recommending therapy services. When I worked in outpatient hospital setting, we had more leeway to see mild disorders/delays than when I worked in public school, for example.

nt