Menu

Car entertainment

Earthmerlin

I'm planning a 2 week road trip next month & need ideas for car entertainment. I'll be driving solo with my 7 yr old & am looking for things to occupy her sedentary time in the car. We've got audio books covered. She gets car-sick when reading too much so that'll have to be sparse. Verbal games are good. Are easy crafts a viable option? Anything else?

Edited by Earthmerlin

Just wanted to say that my mom always put together a plastic tub (with lid) of things for us entertain ourselves with on long car trips -- coloring books, sticker books, and a handful of small toys/travel games. The clever bit was that she saved back a handful of things to be "new" and "shiny" for the return trip. I'd suggest doing something similar. And if you'll be in the car almost every day of that 2-week trip, then I'd also rotate through the offerings (don't put *everything* in the toy tub). :)

sticker books

reuseable stickers/background scene

colorforms -- or -- magnetic scene and pieces to move around

Dover little stained glass coloring book and markers

finger fidget toys (miniature metal slinky, tangle, 

small Etch-A-Sketch

travel tangoes

"fuzzy face"

package of pipecleaners (bend and twist, braid, make shapes, etc.)

magnetic toys

paper road map for tracing your route

Polly Pocket play set -- or something similar

small Lego set AND a shoebox for assembling it in your lap, so pieces don't get lost

verbal games:

- alphabets of different types (animals, foods, and names are good)

Frst person comes up with an answer that starts with the letter A, second person with the letter B, etc. So if doing animals: 1st = anteater / 2nd = baboon / 1st = cat / 2nd = dog...

- yes and no

One person thinks of something, and the other person uses yes/no answers to narrow it down to guess what the things is. Teaches kids how to use categories to quickly get close: Is it alive? (yes) Does it live in the sea? (no) Does it live on land (yes) Is it a reptile? (no) Is it a person? (no) Is it a mammal? (yes) Do I know personally know this mammal? (yes) Is it our cat Fluffy? (yes!)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

Are you opposed to educational shows or workbooks?

Nope. A few videos on her portable DVD player are OK. Workbooks in very small amounts are also fine--she just tends to get motion sickness when reading in a car. Thanks for the ideas! Edited by Earthmerlin

Bingo, Battleship, and Guess Who were big hits last road trip for us. I printed them on cardstock and put them in page protectors for using with dry erase markers. There are tons of freebies online.

I like these ideas. I wonder how to play a 2 person game though, one of whom is driving. Edited by Earthmerlin

Bunch 'Ems. Very fun. Bonus points for making the things into whatever's happening in the audio book at the time.

Latch hooking?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

We have Bunch 'Ems too! I like the connection between them & an audio book! Creative!

Nope. A few videos on her portable DVD player are OK. Workbooks in very small amounts are also fine--she just tends to get motion sickness when reading in a car. Thanks for the ideas!

Well, it looks like you got better ideas than what i was going to suggest. In case you need ofher ideas here goes.

1. Bill nye the science guy

2. Magic school bus

3. Carmen san diego

4. Mindware has math workbooks where one tries to find something or get to a certain spot by doing math problems.

Then of course your typical maze, word search, and dot fo dot books.

Hope this helps.