Menu

My "little guy" got a job today

foxbridgeacademy

So my just turned (a couple days ago) 16 y.o. applied for about 10 jobs yesterday. One of them called him back first thing this morning and hired him this afternoon.... he forgot to ask the rate of pay he was so nervous!  DD and I were sitting in the car and it was making us nervous, lol.  I'm happy for him, the kid has been wanting to make money for years now but I'm sad too, he's so grown up.  I'm sure I'll get over it when I'm juggling driving him and DSD back and forth to their jobs every day, I'll be to busy and frazzled to be sad.

• Like 26

Yeah - congrats! He is a man now. ;) Well...almost.

Ds's first job was being the driver for a nearby blueberry farm.

That would be a cool job, but I can't get him to get his license, he's a penny pincher and the insurance is more than he's willing to pay so either I'll be driving him or since the job is close enough he can ride his bike.

• Like 1

Congratulations! I hope the rate of pay was the least important thing about the job for him as it should be for all sixteen year olds, but he will be fine even if it isn't.

You are allowed to be sad even if you are frantically busy. I remember that much about raising teens anyway. ;)

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

I'd really encourage him riding the bike to work. That will get him to be even more responsible about the job and be even more independent. That independence will make him feel very good in the long run--even if it's hard on you because he's growing up now.

Get him a good lock and if needed reflective gear for visibility. If riding both ways puts him in bad traffic, put a rack on your car and just leave it on for now so you either drop him off with the bike or pick him up.

• Like 2

Yay!! Congratulations to him!

My DS got his first job this summer too and it's been the best! ðŸ‘

Good luck to him! (And yes to having him bike there--DS is totally independent getting to and from work and volunteering and it's been great for him--and for me).

• Like 2

I'd really encourage him riding the bike to work. That will get him to be even more responsible about the job and be even more independent. That independence will make him feel very good in the long run--even if it's hard on you because he's growing up now.

Get him a good lock and if needed reflective gear for visibility. If riding both ways puts him in bad traffic, put a rack on your car and just leave it on for now so you either drop him off with the bike or pick him up.

That's a good idea about the rack, thanks.  We're going over there today for him to drop off some paperwork so I'm going to look at his route. 99% of it is fine, it's the crossing 6 lanes of traffic that's freaking me out.

That's a good idea about the rack, thanks. We're going over there today for him to drop off some paperwork so I'm going to look at his route. 99% of it is fine, it's the crossing 6 lanes of traffic that's freaking me out.

Do you have a local bike shop? They may be able to give a route that doesn't Cross so much traffic.

Also check with local governments or parks. There may be local initiatives that have mapped nice bike routes and trails which you may be unaware of.

• Like 1

So my just turned (a couple days ago) 16 y.o. applied for about 10 jobs yesterday. One of them called him back first thing this morning and hired him this afternoon.... he forgot to ask the rate of pay he was so nervous! DD and I were sitting in the car and it was making us nervous, lol. I'm happy for him, the kid has been wanting to make money for years now but I'm sad too, he's so grown up. I'm sure I'll get over it when I'm juggling driving him and DSD back and forth to their jobs every day, I'll be to busy and frazzled to be sad.

Aw. That is so a we some. My son has worked full time all summer and I am so proud of him too.

• Like 1

So my just turned (a couple days ago) 16 y.o. applied for about 10 jobs yesterday. One of them called him back first thing this morning and hired him this afternoon.... he forgot to ask the rate of pay he was so nervous!  DD and I were sitting in the car and it was making us nervous, lol.  I'm happy for him, the kid has been wanting to make money for years now but I'm sad too, he's so grown up.  I'm sure I'll get over it when I'm juggling driving him and DSD back and forth to their jobs every day, I'll be to busy and frazzled to be sad.

Congratulations to your son!  Such a great milestone.

May I ask what sort of job it is?  Did he have to apply online?

My son has also been job-hunting, but only one place out of about 20 had a paper application.  Everyone else said apply online, and when he tried to do that, he couldn't get anywhere unless he agreed to accept unsolicited emails from about a dozen irrelevant organizations AND agreed to accept automated phone calls - but there was no info regarding the content or purpose of those calls.

So the job hunt here is currently stalled out.  :(  I'm planning to send him to some independent businesses instead of chains, but there aren't many of those around anymore....

Congratulations to your son! Such a great milestone.

May I ask what sort of job it is? Did he have to apply online?

My son has also been job-hunting, but only one place out of about 20 had a paper application. Everyone else said apply online, and when he tried to do that, he couldn't get anywhere unless he agreed to accept unsolicited emails from about a dozen irrelevant organizations AND agreed to accept automated phone calls - but there was no info regarding the content or purpose of those calls.

So the job hunt here is currently stalled out. :( I'm planning to send him to some independent businesses instead of chains, but there aren't many of those around anymore....

Not the OP, but are there areas of potential work your son is especially interested in? What are his hobbies? Are there shops where the owners already know him? Someplace he goes regularly?

Mine didn't formally apply for his--he's a regular at our local bike shop and simply inquired if they might need help. He was thinking some sort of internship and ended up with an actual paying job. The manager already knew that DS knows his stuff and that cycling is something he takes seriously, so it's a great fit.

• Like 1

Not the OP, but are there areas of potential work your son is especially interested in? What are his hobbies? Are there shops where the owners already know him? Someplace he goes regularly?

Mine didn't formally apply for his--he's a regular at our local bike shop and simply inquired if they might need help. He was thinking some sort of internship and ended up with an actual paying job. The manager already knew that DS knows his stuff and that cycling is something he takes seriously, so it's a great fit.

Thanks for the suggestion.  And congrats to your son, too!  A "dream" job as a first job is rare, indeed!

There are stores that would fit that bill but they aren't hiring.  At this point any McJob would do.  There are SO few places that hire at 16 around here.  :(

• Like 1

This is so exciting! Congratulations to both of you! I remember when my oldest got his first job around the same age. He got hired on at the Lego Store so while he was putting on his big boy pants and working he still got to be a little boy inside and play with Legos. First jobs are so important. I saw so much growth and maturity happen with that job. It will be so much fun for you to watch the fruits of life education.

• Like 3

This is so exciting! Congratulations to both of you! I remember when my oldest got his first job around the same age. He got hired on at the Lego Store so while he was putting on his big boy pants and working he still got to be a little boy inside and play with Legos. First jobs are so important. I saw so much growth and maturity happen with that job. It will be so much fun for you to watch the fruits of life education.

That's so cool, I wish that had been my first job.

Congratulations to your son!  Such a great milestone.

May I ask what sort of job it is?  Did he have to apply online?

My son has also been job-hunting, but only one place out of about 20 had a paper application.  Everyone else said apply online, and when he tried to do that, he couldn't get anywhere unless he agreed to accept unsolicited emails from about a dozen irrelevant organizations AND agreed to accept automated phone calls - but there was no info regarding the content or purpose of those calls.

So the job hunt here is currently stalled out.   :(  I'm planning to send him to some independent businesses instead of chains, but there aren't many of those around anymore....

It's a fast food place, the same company I had my first job at actually.  He went through snagajob.com and yeah they were all online.