Menu

Cranky baby with low-grade fever

Noreen Claire

The baby is almost 9 months old. He's been cutting multiple teeth for a few weeks. However, he's always been an easy, happy, calm baby.

Very suddenly, last Friday, he became very fussy. He doesn't want to be put down, he doesn't want to play. He is nursing much more frequently, but he is also still eating solids. I figured that it was his teeth plus some separation anxiety, but on Sunday he started running a fever. This is now day 4 with a low-grade fever and no other physical symptoms. He does seem more tired than usual, and won't crawl across the room to get to me, rather he stops part way and puts his head down and cries. We went to the walk-in hours at our Pediatrician's office yesterday and she said his ears and throat were perfect. He doesn't seem to have any localized pain (like a stomach ache). The pedi checked him for hand-foot-and-mouth, but he had no other symptoms. She thinks he is just fighting off a virus and should be better in a few days.

I'm not sure if I'm asking for advice, support, or BTDT stories with happy endings. I'm just tired and worried and want my happy, easy baby back!

Awww, I'm sorry to hear that! That has happened TWICE so far this summer with my 1 year old. Days of fever and crankiness, and then he's back to his sunny self. The first time, however, the rest of the family ended up getting a virus that felt like hand-foot-mouth which hobbled us for 2 weeks. His fever must have fought it off effectively. This has been a bad summer for us for yucky stuff. Hope you're managing to get some rest and hope he's back to himself soon (and the rest of the family stays healthy)!

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that!

Fever for a few days with no other symptoms might be roseola. It's a weird virus. I'm pretty sure some of mine have had it. After a few days of fever with no other symptoms, the fever disappears, and a benign rash appears all over the body for a few days. So bizarre! I only recognized it in hindsight.

• Like 1

Could be things you can't see- maybe tummy virus but no diarrhea or vomiting, maybe a cold virus with a headache. Maybe body aches and pains, sore throat.

I hope he feels better soon. And take him back in if it continues. Sometimes ear infections can develop slowly so doctors may not see anything one day but then they develop.

• Like 1