Menu

Classroom decor... to cute, or not to cute?

I'm starting to think about classroom setup for the fall. Yay! I'll have a small class of almost all boys, almost all of them with ADHD and dyslexia both. 

My initial thought is that less is more in this situation. A lot of teachers go for extreme cuteness and classroom themes, but that's just not for me. I kinda just want to go minimalist... plants in colorful pots, some maps on the wall, a globe, and the basic art and writing supplies. As far as I can tell, kids neither notice nor care about how cute their classroom is. With older elementary boys, I especially don't want to offend their sensibilities with "baby stuff." I also think it's easier to concentrate in a streamlined, peaceful room.

All thoughts welcome! It's fun to think about decorating a classroom :)

Other than what's required by school, like the map for how to get out in a fire, or the shelter in place directions, I don't put anything on the walls that doesn't fit one of the following 2 criteria.

a) The kids made it and are proud of it.

b) It's a resource that the kids have been taught specifically how to use, such as a word wall, or a map, or an anchor chart. 

I guess that puts me in the "less is more" category. 

• Like 4

I have read that some classroom decor is distracting for some kids -- the type of decor that looks as though the teacher bought every single poster and bulletin board set.

I like reading about Waldorf classrooms. I don't imagine that you can paint the walls a soft color, but I like your idea of minimalist.

One of the best classrooms my kids had was one in which the teacher had an regular lamp. For some lessons, like read alouds, she turned off the overhead lights and used the lamp. (In my school district, I always mention getting rid of fluorescent lighting when they ask for suggestions.) This same teacher had a CD player for soft music.

Another thing my kids have liked from actual classrooms is any kind of pet or animal -- turtle, fish, etc. Plants, yes! One teacher had an entire windowed wall lined with plants. It was so soothing.

I also like the Waldorf idea of seasonal nature displays -- pine cones, that sort of thing.

If you can get funds for special chairs -- beanbag ones, stools, etc -- that can go a long way towards keeping sn kids calm and focused.

Daria's guidelines are about where we're at. We have things on the wall for Zones of Reg strategies, that kind of thing, but not clutter or cuteness. 

The current trend I read about in classrooms is home-like. I set my room up with zones for functions and try to make them comfortable and appropriate. classroom The Lakeshore Learning classroom designer is really good. 

For my ds' office, it's largely monochromatic, blue, with walls, curtains, bins, beanbag chairs, everything in shades of blue. I'm boring, sure, but the point is it's calming, not bouncy, not distracting.

Layout communicates expected behavior and can help their behavior. I would put your energy into layout and really thinking through function, how you want things to flow, how things get put away, where the chill when they need a break, etc.

• Like 1

I found the way classrooms are decorated in schools here unbelievably distracting. Too many different things, too many different sizes, colors, fonts, themes. Makes it hard to concentrate and must be a disaster for kids who have attention difficulties already. (Just like the textbooks, don't get me started)

I would prefer a completely undecorated classroom. White walls. A blackboard or whiteboard, and a large map if geography is studied. Bookshelf. Done.

Perhaps a poster on something students are studying at the moment as a visual aid; change it out when the topic is done.

Maybe things the students themselves have made. Lots of white space in between.

No decorative items on horizontal surfaces (oh, the knickknacks in my kids' public school classrooms!)

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 6

(40) Pinterest

That's the pinterest board I made when I was collecting ideas last year. There's other stuff you won't want, because it's just everything from that year in one place. 

(40) Pinterest As you scroll down, you'll find this one. I really liked it, and it's what lead me to my blue thing. The video tour link was good too. You might get all kinds of ideas. Anything to structure with space, structure with visuals, etc. The layout creates structure. Even my ds, with just a small, bedroom-sized office, has zones and clear structure. We have an independent work station, a read aloud area, a together play area, a table work area, a learning while moving or reading area. All in one 13Xsomething room! And the layout is TOTALLY DIFFERENT from last years!! I'm obsessive about layout, because to me it implies function.

So my cute is fuzzy pillows, kwim? You can have a little cute here or there. 

This is the way we go: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/1d/2e/db/1d2edb3a4a8936f1f52ed64a9e847aed--steiner-waldorf-boys-playing.jpg

The materials are as natural as possible; the decorative items are all actually functional bits and bobs, without much character in and of themselves (wood shapes, baskets, pieces of fabric); the art is kid-made; there are some plants.

Lots of text around on the walls I have found to be distracting.

It is best to provide as few distractions as possible, for wandering minds. Which is even more important, as most of the boys have ADHD.

A major problem with most classrooms, is that they are 'Echo Chambers' full of hard surfaces.  So that the slightest sound, echoes around the room.

Hanging some plain fabric on the walls, can help deaden the sound.  

The previously mentioned use of Lamps is also much better.  As fluorescent light is the worst possible light for classrooms. As it is basically 'blue light' and produces a strong glare from white paper.

You mentioned that the class is almost all boys, where males have a higher sensitivity to the glare from blue light.   Another issue with fluorescent lights, is that the 'flickering' can induce seizures in some people. 

Thank you, all! These ideas are wonderful. I'm glad I'm not alone in the anti-cute philosophy. The classroom is already quite nice without anything in it... white walls, plain wooden built-in shelves. After seeing these photos, I don't think I'll need to add anything other than the plants and the globe. Some natural-colored containers for supplies would be nice - there is a LOT of super bright colored plastic in classrooms these days.