Menu

What are some fun projects you've done in your homeschool?

JaniceO

I know some people frown upon projects. My kids are former public school students and they actually enjoy projects. I'm looking for some fun, educational ideas. Right now, we are going to start working on President File Folder Reports (from Mrs. Renz's website). I'm going to simplify it for my 1st Grader, but all 3 boys are going to be expected to complete it. I also plan on tracing their bodies on a huge piece of paper and then putting the body parts on it.

What are some other ideas? My boys are 5th grade, 3rd grade, and 1st grade.

You might like to do some of the engineering challenges on the Think! website. New ones are posted each week (on a Saturday) and then pictures are posted through the week of other children's solutions. You can send in photos of your own creations, if you like. The challenges are always fun, using easy to obtain materials and make you think!

make a cell in jello or make a pillow of a cell

make a bridge of toothpicks and gumdrops

make a poster about parts of speech

make a how-to video relating to science or math

make a lap-book on any topic

make a photo collage

go to unplugyourkids.com for great project ideas

go to harmonyartmom.com for great art ideas

go to the crafty crow for great craft ideas

listen to a piece of music and draw a picture to represent the music

what are you studying? I have lots of ideas!

see our blog: http://www.exploreacademy.blogspot.com. -- you could alter most of what we do to make it appropriate for younger kids.

Edited by Explore Academy
adding our blog link

Salt dough maps. My son is doing a salt dough map of the Italian Peninsula, marking it for the founding of Rome. He had to type out all the labels and make flags with toothpicks. He had to make the dough and color it. The project is going well and took us most of the school day yesterday (I'd rather devote a day once in a while, rather than having projects dragged over days, all the time). We'll finish it up today. Ds will also be putting an elevation legend on his map. He said that he imagined Italy was rather flat (even though he read about it being hilly and mountainous), until he did this project. It helped him to understand why the different people groups were fighting for the flatter, better farmlands. I plan to do a display board on Rome and a 5 paragraph essay or research report with it, also.

Thank you so much for all of the ideas, and please, keep them coming. We are going through SOTW 1 right now (but I don't like alot of the projects in there). In geography, we're wrapping up Europe and getting ready to start Africa. I also plan on doing a mini unit type thing on the Election. For science, we are going to start Chemistry (much to my displeasure, but I was outvoted) as soon as our books get here from Amazon.

Zee, I always pictured Italy as flat as well. I'm not sure why I had that image in my mind. BUT, after living here, I can tell you that it's definitely NOT flat. It's almost all mountainous. Which just helps make it even more beautiful in my opinion.

What about making a map of Africa using different paper patterns --

3 different maps -- 1 for each kid with 4-5 categories for each

endangered species

poverty level

population

For chemistry -- figure out the best ratio for baking soda/vinegar for volcanic eruption

-- are permanent markers permanent? use a variety of things to "treat" permanent marker and or make sharpie pen t-shirts to learn about solubility

hope those help

can you elaborate on this or have an example. i would love to do something fun like this for my second grader instead of posting a pre bought one.

thanks

make a cell in jello or make a pillow of a cell

make a bridge of toothpicks and gumdrops

make a poster about parts of speech

make a how-to video relating to science or math

make a lap-book on any topic

make a photo collage

go to unplugyourkids.com for great project ideas

go to harmonyartmom.com for great art ideas

go to the crafty crow for great craft ideas

listen to a piece of music and draw a picture to represent the music

what are you studying? I have lots of ideas!

see our blog: http://www.exploreacademy.blogspot.com. -- you could alter most of what we do to make it appropriate for younger kids.

History Portfolios might work for you.

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this or not, but you can get those tri-fold cardboard display things & use that to showcase things you've studied. We did a Leonardo da Vinci/Renaissance art camp & used the tri-fold displays to showcase the work we did. We attached the pics they painted, hung a little banner they made on it, put on photos of them working on the projects, and put the 3-D type projects (science projects, masks) in front of the display board. It was fun to have it sitting up on display & the kids loved showing friends, their grandparents, etc....

...are an egg drop. Have them design an egg container or holder of some kind and then have dad take it and drop it off the house or some other high place. Some variations are to fill the box with water, popcorn, bubble wrap, or have a parachute on it. Our hs group does this yearly and the local fire dpt. drops them from the extended ladders. It's exciting to see what the kids can come up with.

Another project might be to get involved in a postcard exchange. We are currently doing one and it has been exciting for the kids to send and receive postcards weekly (3 a week) and explore the areas they come from. This has been the most excited the kids have ever been about geography.

HTH!

can you elaborate on this or have an example. i would love to do something fun like this for my second grader instead of posting a pre bought one.

thanks

IMG_2040.JPG

IMG_1774.JPG

ref=dp_image_text_0?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books

The above samples should help some.

Other things to do:

For nouns, collect pictures/words from a magazine of nouns and paste them in the proper columns for types of nouns.

For verbs, draw pictures and put a verb beneath each one.

Or just pull some sentences from a favorite book and write them on a poster with one color representing each part of speech.

All of these activities can be adjusted from elementary through high school by increasing/decreasing the complexity.

Interjections are fun -- cut 5-10 pictures from a magazine and cut out the same number of speech bubbles. Have your student put an appropriate interjection in each speech bubble that goes with the picture.

Hope that helps.

If you have more questions, it is easiest to post a comment directly on my blog: http://www.exploreacademy.blogspot.com

You could probably find lots of fun chemistry experiments online-just google 'free elementary chemistry experiments' or something....things like making your own slime, make your own rootbeer, bouncy balls, things like that. I don't have time to look any up right now but I know they are out there! :001_smile:

This book has life-size blackline figures of all the internal organs of the body along with a brief explanation of the function of each. You trace each child's body on butcher paper and copy the organs, then the child colors the organs and places them on their "body."

We did it a year ago and my boys still have their "bodies" hanging on their walls. They loved it!

You can get the book at Rainbow Resource.