Menu

The Cat in Numberland and The Number Devil

I really *like* The Number Devil, but it's a free library book for me. I can't say I would pay $25 for it.

Yeah, wish our library had it. If It's Australian they'll stock it, but few of the American books I look for are there unfortunately. 

The Number Devil is a German Book that was translated. Maybe that will be helpful to you in perhaps finding it via a library or ordering from the UK.

My kid liked it a lot. It's a sort of survey of math topics.

• Like 1

We enjoyed the Number Devil but had it from the library. Dd used it as the basis for a fun slightly arty unit study we made up as we went along. Basically illustrating the math concept in in chapter her way. Ds enjoyed it as a read aloud. Both dc's are and were Math geeks.

• Like 1

Are they really good, have you read them?

They're each $25 here - pretty expensive. Are they worth it?

Do you use thebookdepository.co.uk? It's owned by Amazon and has free international shipping. I use it for non American titles. It's listed for under 10 USD. Shipping can take up to 2 weeks, but it's free!

https://www.bookdepository.com/search?searchTerm=the%20number%20devil&search=Find+book

Btw, we are a few chapters into The Number Devil, and my DD8 likes it.

Edited by underthebridge
  • Like 1

I really *like* The Number Devil, but it's a free library book for me. I can't say I would pay $25 for it.

I haven't read Cat in Numberland but a google search for it + PDF turns up a number of free downloadable copies.

I tried to find a pdf like you mentioned to see if I think it would be worth buying. I did not find it, but found a neat pdf on graph theory. 

I ended up at amazon to look at this book and it reminds me so much of a TED Talk I once saw on infinity. 

Cat in Numberland is a good book, but it only covers the nature of infinity, (albeit in a very clear, visual way) so I wouldn't buy it... we wouldn't re-read it enough times to warrant. I would buy the Number Devil, though, for reasons stated above. We have both in our local library, but having access to an amazing library system is offset by many other issues of a large city!

• Like 1