Menu

Vancouver, BC

Murphy101

I think Dh are pretty certain this would be perfect for us and the time of year we want to go.

So hit me with your must see/do suggestions!

So far in our list:

Rainforest trek in Victoria

Aquarium sounds amazing

Dh wants to zip line through one of the forests and or the suspension bridges - maybe Lynn Valley dines be as crowded as that other one whose name I've already forgotten other than it starts with a C.

Is scuba diving an option there?

Yarn stores and brewery or disteillery suggestions welcomed too.

And Roman Catholic Churches to consider too please!

Edited by Murphy101

We went to Vancouver BC for our 25th anniversary and stayed in a B & B right by Stanley Park which was an awesome location. We actually had a small basement apartment with our own entrance and opted not to pay extra for breakfast. But the park was one block away and in the other direction was any food you could possibly imagine. We found it on VRBO. We originally thought about doing Victoria, too, but with only five actual days in BC, we decided it was too much for one trip.

Two of our favorite things were a bike tour that included Stanley Park and the Musuem of Anthroplogy, especially some of the guided tours. It was our first city bike tour and we enjoyed it so much that we now always take them when we go to a new city. It's a great way to see so much more than you ever would on foot and since you are following a guide, you don't have to worry about directions, you can just take in the scenery. Plus they make frequent stops to talk about things and ours included a lunch stop at the big Public market by the water, and we even took our bikes on the little miniature ferries.

We also did several different outdoor hikes and the suspension bridges and rode a gondola up to the nearby mountain. There they had zip lines, a bird of prey show, awesome views, hiking opportunities, etc.

In all of our travels, I've had really good luck using Trip Advisor for accommodations, food, and things to do. It's never let me down. There was so much we wanted to do during our five days in Vancouver that we had a hard time narrowing it down, but we also like a mix of doing and relaxing when on vacation. And being near the park was perfect for that.

So, Vancouver and Victoria? Or Vancouver Island? The Okanagan? How long?

:D

I do not know what the Okanagan is, please enlighten me!

We are thinking we would fly into Vancouver and use our hotel there as our base headquarters for our 6-8 day stay. Hopefully and very tentatively the last week of May 2018. Nothing actually booked yet and probably won't book until September.

If you see Musk Ox on the menu, go for it!

A long time back I had it in a restaurant there, don't know the name of the place (but it was waterfront with a view of Granville(?) Island).

Delicious. Like beef, just more flavor.

Mmmm.

Bill

We went to Vancouver BC for our 25th anniversary and stayed in a B & B right by Stanley Park which was an awesome location. We actually had a small basement apartment with our own entrance and opted not to pay extra for breakfast. But the park was one block away and in the other direction was any food you could possibly imagine. We found it on VRBO. We originally thought about doing Victoria, too, but with only five actual days in BC, we decided it was too much for one trip.

Two of our favorite things were a bike tour that included Stanley Park and the Musuem of Anthroplogy, especially some of the guided tours. It was our first city bike tour and we enjoyed it so much that we now always take them when we go to a new city. It's a great way to see so much more than you ever would on foot and since you are following a guide, you don't have to worry about directions, you can just take in the scenery. Plus they make frequent stops to talk about things and ours included a lunch stop at the big Public market by the water, and we even took our bikes on the little miniature ferries.

We also did several different outdoor hikes and the suspension bridges and rode a gondola up to the nearby mountain. There they had zip lines, a bird of prey show, awesome views, hiking opportunities, etc.

In all of our travels, I've had really good luck using Trip Advisor for accommodations, food, and things to do. It's never let me down. There was so much we wanted to do during our five days in Vancouver that we had a hard time narrowing it down, but we also like a mix of doing and relaxing when on vacation. And being near the park was perfect for that.

Oh! Dh was really wanting me to look into renting an apt or doing the airb&b thing but I'm nervous about it bc if our room sucks at a hotel you can ask for another room if your VRBO or airb&b turns out to not be what you hoped - you're just up creek and have to find a last minute hotel?? This is our first big vacation and anniversary celebration so I really would rather play safe with plans than risk a ruined trip, kwim? Dh was annoyed bc he says we could have a fairly nice place for half the cost of hotels I was looking at. But I have zero desire to clean up or whatever. I'm not cleaning house on vacation. Is this unreasonable of me?

Oh! Dh was really wanting me to look into renting an apt or doing the airb&b thing but I'm nervous about it bc if our room sucks at a hotel you can ask for another room if your VRBO or airb&b turns out to not be what you hoped - you're just up creek and have to find a last minute hotel?? This is our first big vacation and anniversary celebration so I really would rather play safe with plans than risk a ruined trip, kwim? Dh was annoyed bc he says we could have a fairly nice place for half the cost of hotels I was looking at. But I have zero desire to clean up or whatever. I'm not cleaning house on vacation. Is this unreasonable of me?

We've done lots of VRBO rentals, and I only recall one where the cleaning requirements seemed over the top. It's mainly just running the dishwasher, wiping counters, and maybe taking out trash. I only choose places with lots of excellent reviews and haven't been disappointed yet. Personally, I have a really hard time paying for hotels because they seem like such a rip off. But I did do it when we went to Europe, but not anymore in the US.

Edit to add that at every VRBO place we've rented they have actual cleaners come between guests. It's just very basic tidying up before you leave, mainly concentrated in the kitchen.

Edited by Frances

If you see Musk Ox on the menu, go for it!

A long time back I had it in a restaurant there, don't know the name of the place (but it was waterfront with a view of Granville(?) Island).

Delicious. Like beef, just more flavor.

Mmmm.

Bill

Noted! Dh is a bit of a foodie, so somewhat adventurous eating adds to the fun. I'm not as adventurous as him, but I'll take a nibble off his plate to at least try it. 😋

Noted! Dh is a bit of a foodie, so somewhat adventurous eating adds to the fun. I'm not as adventurous as him, but I'll take a nibble off his plate to at least try it. 😋

One of the best things I've ever eaten. Worth seeking out. Trust me.

Bill

• Like 1

the observatory (granted it's been a long time since I went)

queen elizabeth park.  has a nice view of the city too.

stanley park - has old growth.

sun yat sen chinese gardens - the pay admission side.

if you want good chinese food - you'll probably have better luck in richmond.  (say the food writer for the seattle times)

get up to UBC, I believe it's the longhouse exhibt there.  the provencial museum in victoria has an excellent first nations exhibit.

granveille island has some fun tourist shops.

there's an underwater something in victoria.  the water temps here do not encourage snorkeling - unless you are a diver and have a full wet suit.  then there are places.

whale watching

• Like 1

I do not know what the Okanagan is, please enlighten me!

We are thinking we would fly into Vancouver and use our hotel there as our base headquarters for our 6-8 day stay. Hopefully and very tentatively the last week of May 2018. Nothing actually booked yet and probably won't book until September.

Another part of BC to consider ;)

http://www.okanagan.com/

You could check out what's on stage at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre downtown.  We saw Les Mis there a few years ago and it was just lovely.  

Side note:  I'm an Airbnb host and I encourage you to check some out!  You can tell a lot by the reviews and photos. Use this link if you're not already registered at Airbnb (www.airbnb.com/c/dsautter6) and you'll save something like $40 on a stay.  When I'm looking for a place to stay, I check out the photos thoroughly, as well as the recent reviews.  I lwant to see a good more-than-a-handful of photos and I look for numerous reviews where the guests gush about their stay and I also look for certain things (parking onsite, private bathroom, two beds, etc.), so use the search tool to limit my search by those things.  

Vancouver is a great city.  

• Like 1

I've lived in Vancouver and Victoria BC. One nice thing about going over to Victoria is the ferry ride. If you're lucky someone will spot a whale. I joke when we take the ferry that it's the only cruise I'll ever be on. Victoria is way more touristy then Vancouver. There is LOTS of neat things to see and do there. Vancouver is more ethnically diverse by a long shot. Stevenston's Fisherman's Wharf in Richmond is a nice spot to visit in the Vancouver area. I agree that Queen Elizabeth Park is a good spot as well. We used to live walking distance from it. It's lovely and not too crowded and has some lovely gardens. UBC is also a nice place. If you're brave you can check out the clothing optional beach there :D . Summer is a much nicer time to visit either city. That part of BC is about the same climate as Seattle. It rains ten months of the year and is bone dry for July and August. Definitely consider the Lynn Valley suspension bridge. The trails are beautiful and last time I went it was free but the Capilano bridge costs. Thankfully there are no ticks in BC! During the non-snowy season Grouse mountain in nice too but in the winter it's pretty crowded with skiers.  There's a neat cable car that takes you up to the peak. I'm happy to give feedback on any other spots there.

• Like 2