Menu

Meal train for church family (trigger warning)

Jkacz

I could really use some help figuring this out.

About 2 months ago, a lovely woman in our parish passed away. She left behind her husband, 2 teenagers and her parents who lived with them. A meal train was set up and everyone signed up to bring dinners to the family. People are generally providing casseroles (Baked mac and cheese, stuffed shells, American Chop Suey) and we did Chicken Divan (chicken in a cream sauce over broccoli served with white rice) for the first day we signed up for. Now, 2 weeks later the temperature is 20 degrees warmer and I'm at a loss what to bring for the second day. It's going to be 86 degrees so a casserole seems too "heavy" on a warm day but I can't come up with anything else.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank-you very much!

When our baby was in the hospital, one of our friends brought an assortment of sandwiches, small pastries, fruits, and veggies. That was so nice because the kids could help themselves.

Another option might be a pasta salad or a garden salad with some grilled chicken strips. Or fried chicken and potato salad.

• Like 3

When our baby was in the hospital, one of our friends brought an assortment of sandwiches, small pastries, fruits, and veggies. That was so nice because the kids could help themselves.

Another option might be a pasta salad or a garden salad with some grilled chicken strips. Or fried chicken and potato salad.

ITA. Stuff to make subs are good, fruit/fruit salds, green salads or things like cole slaw. I would make someone sloppy joe and bring buns. Or soups with some nice frnch breads.

• Like 1

tubs of ice cream

:laugh:

It's not the worst idea!

Someone brought us ice cream from the local creamery when we were on meal train. It was nice that they thougt of that detail and TBH, I got so tired of the endless parade of casseroles. (Not to disparage anyone who brought them. Just that something different was really welcome. One person gave us a gift card for a dinner out. That was also terrific.)

• Like 3

Why didn't I think of any of these ideas? They're all great, and now I just have to choose. We're the last night of the train so the idea of some cold salads - pasta and/or potato with pulled pork, sloppy joe or deli sandwiches might be best so that they have some leftovers. Dessert is a given - homemade chocolate chip cookies.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Jenn

• Like 5