Menu

A big spider was crawling on me while I was driving on the freeway...

J-rap

I was just glad that I could keep my cool enough to keep my eyes on the road.  We had been camping recently so I suppose it was leftover from that.  It was on my bare leg (I had shorts on).  I felt a tickle and looked down to see this big spider crawling on my thigh.  

It reminded me of another time when I was driving my young children on the freeway, and a bird started flying around in our van!  It had flown into our window when it was parked, and then started flying and looking for a way out once we were on the road.  It was all I could do to try and keep the children calm and my eyes on the road.

What experiences have you had on the road?

Edited by J-rap

One time my glasses broke in the middle - rimless frames where the lens came unattached and I really couldn't see well.  I was going fast coming out of a tunnel up in the mountains on I-70.  I had to pull over at the next available turn-off and try to fix them.

Wasn't there a recent thread about seeing stuff on the side of the road - tonight I saw a canoe on the side of the highway (next to the median, obviously fell off someone's vehicle).  I guess it's summer lol.

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 1

One time my glasses broke in the middle - rimless frames where the lens came unattached and I really couldn't see well.  I was going fast coming out of a tunnel up in the mountains on I-70.  I had to pull over at the next available turn-off and try to fix them.

Wasn't there a recent thread about seeing stuff on the side of the road - tonight I saw a canoe on the side of the highway (next to the median, obviously fell off someone's vehicle).  I guess it's summer lol.

Yes, there was a recent thread on things seen along side the road!  And a canoe... wow!  I'm glad that it was at least on the side of the road and not right in the middle.

It must be spider week because a couple days back I had a spider on my neck while driving down the freeway with my kids. It wasn't big but I am just not a spider person. My husband had brought me home yet another thrift store bookshelf for our ever growing collection so I think he mist have hitched a ride in.

This wasn't the car but two weeks ago I was laying on our couch watching a movie in the dark and saw a movement out of the corner of my eye. I grabbed my phone and shined the light on my sleeve and their was a huge wolf spider. Man I hate those things! I freaked out flung it onto the floor and then dropped a huge book on it. I stood their contemplating what I should do. I was terrified to pick the book up so I jumped up and down on it and then ultimately woke up my poor DH who came out and rescued me lol. I am a huge baby when it comes to spiders. I have had spider bites send me to the ER on two different occasions and developed some issues around them.

• Like 3

It must be spider week because a couple days back I had a spider on my neck while driving down the freeway with my kids. It wasn't big but I am just not a spider person. My husband had brought me home yet another thrift store bookshelf for our ever growing collection so I think he mist have hitched a ride in.

This wasn't the car but two weeks ago I was laying on our couch watching a movie in the dark and saw a movement out of the corner of my eye. I grabbed my phone and shined the light on my sleeve and their was a huge wolf spider. Man I hate those things! I freaked out flung it onto the floor and then dropped a huge book on it. I stood their contemplating what I should do. I was terrified to pick the book up so I jumped up and down on it and then ultimately woke up my poor DH who came out and rescued me lol. I am a huge baby when it comes to spiders. I have had spider bites send me to the ER on two different occasions and developed some issues around them.

I had quite the image of someone jumping up and down on a book on top of a spider!  ha  :)  

Not an insect story, but once on the 91 freeway in S. Calif, far left lane so nowhere to pull over, a cassette tape fell off the seat and on the floor and wedged itself under the accelerator pedal. I immediately lost the ability to push the pedal and our big white station wagon (this was long ago - didn't the reference to a cassette tape clue you in? :-) ) slowed waaaaaay down for a California freeway!!! Luckily my mom was able to unbuckle herself and squish down to get it before we got rear-ended, as California drivers have no patience with someone driving slow in the "fast" lane (the car was down to 40mph from over 70 by the time I could speed up again). What would have happened had I not had a passenger with me?  I have had an obsession with no loose objects in the front of the car ever since. 

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 1

My sister was driving with her son a few years ago and WASPS started flying out of her air conditioning vent! She pulled over quickly and for them all out or killed them all. Terrifying. (I have a phobia of flying insects that sting).

That would be pretty terrifying!

I remember reading about a guy who was driving and a big snake crawled out from under his seat. I can't even imagine my level of hysteria if that happened!

Oh my goodness -- I can't even imagine how I would have handled that one!

• Like 1

A few years ago I was driving home from Costco with all three of my kids in the car we had just bought food for a party to celebrate my oldest daughters confirmation.  As we turned a corner coming off a stoplight my car began filling with choking smoke.  I could not see and I definitely could not breathe and all the kids were screaming and  trying to open doors.  I pretty much slammed to a stop and we opened the doors and began pouring out of the car and I was terrified that someone would be hit but also terrified because I couldn't breathe.  Smoke was pouring out of the car and suddenly three men were there helping us. We were within sight of a fire station and they were going off duty and driving home.  They started directing traffic and helping us.  We were all covered in white powder.

I had long kept a fire extinguisher in my cars part of a safety kit (my husband is always prepared for anything).  Anyway as we turned the corner one of my costco purchases fell over and hit the handle of the fire extinguisher just right and the plastic safety device on the handle was old enough and brittle enough that it broke and the angle was just right that it held own the handle and the whole extinguisher deployed in my car with all the windows closed and the AC running.

The firemen were impressed that I carried a fire extinguisher. I had six hours until confirmation and the entire inside of my car and everything in it was totally coated in white powder.

post-71237-0-75337800-1497793429_thumb.jpgpost-71237-0-41357300-1497793431_thumb.jpgpost-71237-0-20626600-1497793433_thumb.jpg

My mother's house was about two miles away.  I drove there is a total panic.  We went through the food and decided what needed to be replaced.  Then I left her my kids and the van and drove her car back to costco.  When I came back an hour later all the kids had been bathed and the van had been vacuumed and wiped down.  We found white powder in cracks and crevices in that van for years to come.

I will admit though that a spider would have totally done me in. 

post-71237-0-75337800-1497793429_thumb.jpg

post-71237-0-41357300-1497793431_thumb.jpg

post-71237-0-20626600-1497793433_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tania
  • Like 5

A few years ago I was driving home from Costco with all three of my kids in the car we had just bought food for a party to celebrate my oldest daughters confirmation.  As we turned a corner coming off a stoplight my car began filling with choking smoke.  I could not see and I definitely could not breathe and all the kids were screaming and  trying to open doors.  I pretty much slammed to a stop and we open the doors and began pouring out of the car and I was terrified that someone would be hit but also terrified because I couldn't create.  Smoke was pouring out of car and suddenly three men were there helping us. Ww were within sight of a fires station and they were going off duty and driving home.  They started directing traffic and helping us.  We were all covered in white powder.

I had long kept a fire extinguisher in my cars part of a safety kit (my husband is always prepared for anything).  Any way as we turned the corner one of my costco purchases fell over and hit the handle of the fire extinguisher just right and the pleaser\tic safety device on the handle was old enough and brittle enough that it broke and the angle was just right that it held own the handle and the whole extinguisher deployed in my car with all the windows closed and the AC running.

The firemen were impressed that I carried a fire extinguisher. I had six hours until confirmation and the entire inside of my car and everything in it was totally coated in white powder.

attachicon.gifDSCN8491.jpgattachicon.gifDSCN8492.jpgattachicon.gifDSCN8493.jpg

My mother's house was about two miles away.  I drove there is a total panic.  We went through the food and decided what needed to be replaced.  Then I left her my kids and the van and drove her car back to costco.  When I came back an hour later all the kids had been bathed and the van had been vacuumed and wiped down.  We found white powder in cracks and crevices in that van for years to come.

I will admit though that a spider would have totally done me in. 

I think that tops my spider story!!