Menu

secular science

We're using real science 4 kids for our 8th, 6th, 3rd, 2nd, k, and prek kids. The older ones do the middle school level, the younger ones are doing the elementary level, with the little ones joining in wherever. We like the program but the older kids especially really enjoy science and will be done with all five middle school level subject sets in under a year. I'd like to space it out a bit and add in something else as more science work. Any suggestions for a general science course, not necessarily with lab work, at an average to advanced middle school level? I prefer secular materials. We don't mind regular textbooks. Thank you!

Glencoe iScience is a general science textbook

Prentice Hall Science Explorer you can get as small topic books or larger year long strand books (earth or life for example)

Or there is Mr Q science or REAL Science Odyssey but both are single strand, RSO is very lab heavy, Mr Q is more reading and the labs are take 'em or leave 'em.

Conceptual Science Academy might work.  There is a Junior High level.  It is self-paced.  There are well done science videos to access at certain points along with on line quizzes and worksheets to print out as well as activities to do.  The questions at the back of each chapter are hugely important for prep for the exams.  The Quizzes are just to focus on certain aspects of the material and are very short and quite light.  So far DD is really liking their Astronomy offering.  

https://learnscience.academy/

• Like 1

I like to fill in with extra projects like a science kit.  Sciencewiz kits are great as are Magic School Bus for the younger crew.  They could also do a science fair project.  We also liked a robotics book that we used and did a unit on that.  

You could also do science in a nutshell kits from Delta Education.  They allow you to use it over or with up to 8 kids, I think.  

Another great program is Mystery Science where they could watch videos and do experiments on the subject.

I really like RS4K too, but it doesn't cover all it could.  :)  I'd love it if they came out with a technology/engineering course.

Have you looked at volume 3 of BFSU? (Building foundations of scientific understanding)

I really love the unique way this curriculum keeps all sciences together and focuses on scientific method rigor. I feel like it could give an outstanding beginning to later, more challenging scientific study. It is how I wish all schools would teach early science so that children can actually understand and excel in the sciences. I think of it as the phonics of science. Without phonics it is hard to be a solid reader. Without the basic building blocks of scientific thinking it is hard to go deep with the sciences. I really love it for families who value strong science.

• Like 4

We used and liked Galore Park's So You Really Want to Learn Science series for middle school grades. There's level 1 and level 2. I found the student and teacher books used on Amazon. Completely secular and they touch on all the main fields of science.

Edited by TarynB

If you could be ok skipping religious references Science in the Beginning is great. It is formatted to follow God's seven days of creation, so the first unit is on light and the second unit is water and so on. But aside from a few God did this, etc., the lessons themselves are strictly science. The lesson quickly states something and the experiment/demonstration shows it and there's a little more reading to sum it up. It's written very well. It's the first science I've found that's all inclusive and doesn't need additional explanations or reading. It will cover a wide variety of topics and is meant to be used with a variety of ages. Your older kids could even do all the experiments.

With my current kids use NoeoScience in the younger years, then switch to the Kolbe syllabus in middle school.  We add labs from various sources, including TOPS, snap circuits, and the Lego Mindstorm EV3 Educational Pack.

Older DD did the nutshell kits for Delta Education, Glencoe books, PLATO science and again, lots of labs from many sources.

Edited by melmichigan