Menu

AoPS C&P after AP Calc?

My son is in 9th grade and is planning to take AP Calculus next year.  Whether he takes AB or BC depends on whether his current precalculus teacher (who just might be the worst teacher on earth) is teaching one or the other (the rumor is that he will be teaching BC).  My son will take whichever course his current teacher is not teaching.

Would this high school math sequence raise any red flags?  

9th: Honors Precalculus (at the public school)

10th: AP Calculus AB (at the public school or with Derek Owens) or AP Calculus BC (at the public school)

11th: Counting and Probability (at home using both AoPS books)

12th: AP Computer Science (at the public school; considered a math class)

He tolerates math, sometimes enjoys it, but hasn't lately because of the teacher situation.  Does he really need to take the highest level of math available to him?  I think he'd just like to coast for a bit in math and put his energy into other areas.

If we go this route, he will be graduating with a homeschool diploma.  He hopes to attend our state's flagship university.

I don't work in admissions, but I don't think the sequence itself would raise any red flags. It's obvious by the student finishing Calculus that they need a math credit and CP is a fairly well recognized "elective" math credit.

Many college students take calculus (I-III) and then other courses that aren't as strictly sequenced.

It might help to speak to the schools he hopes to apply with. I'd look at state highschools and see what math electives they offer. Perhaps "Discrete Math" or something would be a "more recognized" label for the class?

Doing both the Intro and Intermediate level texts will give you roughly a years worth of material, so I'm not sure that anyone would have a problem. But again. I don't work in admissions.

• Like 1

If he's ever doing calculus again, then I wouldn't want so many years off from calculus.

I'd have no problem doing AoPS Counting and Probability after calculus.

AP Computer Science is not always considered a math class, but if it is at your public school then that is fine.

• Like 2

If he's ever doing calculus again, then I wouldn't want so many years off from calculus.

I'd have no problem doing AoPS Counting and Probability after calculus.

AP Computer Science is not always considered a math class, but if it is at your public school then that is fine.

My only concern would be that calculus is so far from graduation and his last years of SAT/ACT testing, and any college math classes.

I might rework the schedule to do Counting and Probability before Calculus and do a preCal refresher the summer before he takes Calculus. 

No idea about admissions but my oldest has changed his mind a few times on what he wants to take after calculus BC. The tentative plan is Statistics but he has been mentioning MVC daily in casual conversation. He'll probably decide for sure after math summer camp.

I would say that I should have ask him to try SAT math 2 subject test after precalculus instead of sitting for the test tomorrow after completing aops Calculus in April. As such he had to do a quick review of some topics to get back the speed.

Mine does have engineering as a high possibility choice so many in real life have suggested MVC and Linear Algebra for DE.

My oldest did the intermediate C&P book and intro to NT book over one summer, younger is doing the online class for intro to NT (started) and intro to C&P this summer. There is no aops book for intermediate number theory.

Edited by Arcadia

I agree with MathMarm:  My dd studied from the AoPS Intermediate C&P book we called it "Discrete Math" because that seemed to be the standard title for that material.  

I also agree with Arcadia that AP statistics is another option post-calculus.  It isn't very difficult.  

Honestly, after calc, I'd take a close look at a calculus-based probability and statistics course. .

Any recommendations? Should I be looking at engineering statistics or probs and stats for economics/business students if looking at dual enrollment courses?

Any recommendations? Should I be looking at engineering statistics or probs and stats for economics/business students if looking at dual enrollment courses?

Not for economics/business - that is essentially AP stats.  It isn't a bad course, but it's the algebra-based one.

Look for one for scientists & engineers.  It's typically a sophomore- or junior-level math course.  Some CC's offer it, some don't.

We have the book by Peggy Tang Strait - it's really well written.

• Like 1

We just went through this with DD16. She did Calc AB in 9th and BC last year in 10Th and I was a bit stumped as to "what next?" as all three of her first choice schools want to see four years of math.

After getting some great advice on this board, DD wants to do AP Statistics next year. She wants something "easy" as she is doing AP Biology and that takes quite a bit of time. Right now, the plan for senior year is to do the Aops c&P followed by a six week calculus review (so it's fresh when she goes to college that fall).

We're still trying to figure out our path.  DS15 did C&P in middle school, and Calc BC in 9th.  He's planning to do Calc III, Linear Algebra, Applied Statistics, Prob & Stats, and perhaps intermediate analysis & foundations of mathematics, or maybe mathematical statistics and data science, or maybe discrete math and mathematical foundations of comp sci.

I don't think the 4-years bit means much after calculus.  Beyond that, things get silly very quickly.