Menu

Medical alert systems for elderly?

boscopup

We have an 86 year old in the family who is suddenly living alone (and refuses to move in with any of her children). She needs a medical alert system, preferably one with fall detection. I've googled and googled, and some of the "review sites" I'm not sure are even legit. Consumer reports only lists a small amount of systems and the list is from 2014. I read the comments, and the ones with fall alert had bad reviews (really, all the systems had bad reviews). There are other systems not on that list listed on other review sites, and I'm having a hard time getting good reviews. Where do you go for legitimate reviews on medical alert systems? Has anyone had a family member use one and like the service? It needs to be a landline service, as she's rural and has spotty cell coverage in her area. We don't need a mobile service, as if she's away from home, she's with someone - she doesn't drive herself.

I've noticed that our local pharmacy carries a couple brands.  I wonder if you could talk to your pharmacist, and ask her what feedback from her customers have been, what her thoughts are, etc.  It might be a place to start, anyway.

We use Medical Alert with our family member.  We have both the fall detection and the GPS tracker.

Compliance with wearing the fall detection device is an issue. It's a separate neck pendant from the watch-like bracelet.  It can be easy to set off if she sits down quickly (falls into the chair). Also, she may not like wearing it in the shower, or will take it off to shower (when she needs it most, and also fail to remember to put it back on).

Overall, we really like the technology. It's the people issues we struggle with, iykwim.

That is a good question. Who would think that anyone would refuse a safety measure like that? My mom has. I suspect she doesn't want to face that she needs it.

I got my mum an easy to use mobile phone to keep in her pocket in case she needed a taxi when out, or if she wanted help at home. I paid for the contract. She thanked me and never carried it.

We have the Freedom Alert.  We have been very happy with it.  It is something that you pay for outright, with no monthly fees.  Over the course of the years, it has paid back itself.  We are not interested in a button that has a monthly fee.   So, We bought the Freedom Alert which comes with one pendant, and then in addition we bought the button that sits outside her shower.

If the button on the Freedom Alert is pressed, it will call the first number programmed in....(my cell phone).  If I don't press the number "5", it assumes that it has gone to voicemail, and will call the next number on the list.  After it has gone through all the numbers, if no one has pressed the number "5"  then it dials 911.  The person wearing it talks directly through the pendant.  Something that I feel is very important.  It also works outside in the yard, and to the mailbox.  I believe the total cost with the bathroom button was around $350 up front.  But, there are no monthly fees with it.

IMO For elderly, it is nice to have a pendant instead of a cell phone.  There is one button to push. (You have to hold it down for 3 seconds for it to activate).  With a cell phone, there is just more buttons to navigate.  And, in an emergency or with a fall, our senior needs something that is very simple and clear to activate. I guess this just might be different with every senior, some seniors might better be able to navigate a cell phone in case of a fall, but not ours.

It is a problem for her to wear it sometimes.  Sometimes she feels that she doesn't need it.  Sometimes she forgets to wear it.  But, we just keep reminding her because we feel that it's the best option.  

I give high ratings to the Freedom Alert.  It is easy to set up with the land line, and has worked very well for several years.

Edited by Okra

My grandfather fell and broke his hip *while living in an assisted living facility* because he took off his medical alert necklace, complaining that it got in his way while he slept.   He got up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, fell, and had to stay there until someone came to check on him when he didn't show up for breakfast the next morning.   Compliance is going to be a huge issue with many seniors, unless you can find a monitor that fits like a bracelet, isn't bulky enough to interfere with sleep, is waterproof so it can be worn while showering, and the individual who needs it will actually wear it.   

• Like 2