Menu

Living books vs Living books curriculum

I've looked at Beautiful feet and Ambelside and Wayfarers and a few others, but I'm wondering if someone can talk to me about the difference between living books and an actual curriculum using them? I'm not interested in a curriculum.  I'd just like to get my kids reading more science and history next year, both on their own and as read alouds altogether. I'm trying to find recommended book lists sorted by reading level and topic (period/event/civilization) that I can just get from the library. So what are the best such lists that you know of?

ETA Out of what I've seen, I like Ambelside most, but I don't know the pros or cons of various lists, and I'd really like something that takes... I don't know what the right word is... That doesn't take a view of western superiority throughout history and science, if that makes sense?

Also, I wanted to add that I'm not interested in buying a bunch of books. I'll use what's at the library and probably that's it for now! :)

Edited by deanna1ynne

there are lots of lists, but i'm not sure which ones might fit your criteria. 

i like ambleside for the literature mostly. you can use just the book lists. be careful with the vintage texts though. many people find them inappropriate. my library didn't carry any. it seems they were both outdated and controversial. 

when i wanted to sort by topic, time period, etc, i used my public library online search tool with twtm timelines. especially for history. i often couldn't find the recommended books, but i could find other books that i liked on the same topics. if you are buying, you can just order what swb lists. 

i beleive book shark offers a books-only package that might be more what you are looking for. 

the volume of literature available does cause some challenges, but you just have to be picky with what you are looking for. 

I use booklists from the Well Trained Mind (available at the library if you don't have a copy,) the Story of the World Activity books (might be available at the library,) Memoria Press which you can see online or get the free catalog, and from the blog, The Classical House of Learning Literature. 

I drooled over the Wayfarer's curriculum. I looked at the sample over and over, but it would never work here for me to try to be so scheduled, and I have things already that I have purchased that are different, so it just doesn't make sense. I wish someone could plan for me with what I have around our particular schedules though. I have never tried to detail plan like that, but I can see where it would be helpful. But it wouldn't be realistic here. 

Tapestry of Grace has great lists, and would give you a starting point if you look at their website. 

!!! Can I just say how much I LOVE the fact that you can click on "find at my library" with each of their books! I was thinking just earlier today that someone should really figure out how to do that! Or how to search your library database for a whole list of books at once! lol. :)

• Like 1

!!! Can I just say how much I LOVE the fact that you can click on "find at my library" with each of their books! I was thinking just earlier today that someone should really figure out how to do that! Or how to search your library database for a whole list of books at once! lol. :)

I know! It makes me want to use their curriculum, even though it doesn't work for us, lol. 

Also, if your library doesn't have that book, you can get another with the same call number, and know it should work.

SaveSave

The nsta blog booklist books tend to be really good. Because they are mostly new they are readily available through the library.

http://www.nsta.org/publications/ostb/

They are mostly for younger kids but some are in more depth.

If you follow some of the science type sites on Facebook they often have recommendations for adults that would work for older high school students.

For history we like the well trained mind and story of the world booklist.

• Like 1

If you are interested in a modern, secular vision of a living books list, check out Build Your Library. She has thoroughly updated the Charlotte Mason approach--I find too many lists of books that are out of print and sometimes offensive in other CM type lists.

The curriculum is essentially a reading list and suggested schedule, and I have found that a large majority of the books are available at my local library system. It is not complete--no math, little non-narration writing, and I feel the science needs some beefing up, but a great reinvention of the CM reading lists.