Menu

Kolbe or Seton

Lisamary44

Hi, we are new to homeschooling and are interested in Kolbe, Seton and Memoria Press.  Unfortunately we found out that Memoria Press does not offer enrollment so we will have to go with either Kolbe or Seton and use MP for enrichment.  I've seen on other topics on this site that members have said Seton is traditional and Kolbe is classical, however, it seems like they use some of the same text books.  In this regard, I am wondering if there is a difference between the two.  We are keen on using a curriculum that is more classically orientated, hence our interest in Memoria Press.  

Thanks!

Does your state require enrollment in a "cover" school? If not, then I would just file the paperwork to HS independently and use MP.

I have used materials from all 3. Seton has some good workbooks but overall I feel their program is the least intellectually rigorous. They're good for when you want a "get 'er done" workbook with Catholic references.

Kolbe is strongest at the jr high and above level. If we lived closer to their B&M school, I'd consider enrolling my kids for high school because the academic program is top notch.

ETA: MP is Catholic-friendly but not Catholic. If you want specifically Catholic materials rather than non-denominational Christian, go with Kolbe or Seton.

Edited by Crimson Wife

Ages/grade levels of kids?

Is there a reason you are looking for "enrollment?" What is your goal (or even your reason) for homeschooling? How much time do you want them to spend on schoolwork? How much time will you be able to spend on helping, directing and grading? How much differentiating do you want to be able to do? Do you want to allow for the kid's interests / passions or stick to a fairly set schedule of topics and subjects?

Are you wanting an accredited dimploma?

Are you looking to have them do any online courses through these providers? (Kolbe has more options than Seton, I think.)

Seton and Kolbe are both "school at home." Is that what you are looking for?

• Like 1

Our State does not require that we enroll but this will be our first year and feel we need a little more of a guiding hand at least for the first year.  Right now we feel like we're getting off a large ship and into a tiny dinghy (the best metaphor I can use for going from a parochial school to HS).  We are homeschooling because we have been left with no other choice although my husband and I want to do it and our children want to do it too.  The parochial school systems here in our city has failed our children from many angles including using common core - ughh.  they're going into 3rd & 4th grade.  I will check out Angelicum!  

• Like 1

Our State does not require that we enroll but this will be our first year and feel we need a little more of a guiding hand at least for the first year.  Right now we feel like we're getting off a large ship and into a tiny dinghy (the best metaphor I can use for going from a parochial school to HS).  We are homeschooling because we have been left with no other choice although my husband and I want to do it and our children want to do it too.  The parochial school systems here in our city has failed our children from many angles including using common core - ughh.  they're going into 3rd & 4th grade.  I will check out Angelicum!  

There are a LOT of choices other than Seton & Kolbe. Mother of Divine Grace is roughly as "classical" in outlook as Kolbe, IMO. Catholic Heritage Curricula isn't classical and doesn't offer enrollment, but would have more Catholic materials (than Memoria Press) if you are picking & choosing. Their Behold & See Science is a favorite for some & you could combine your two kids into one of the books.

If you really want hand-holding, I suggest St Thomas Aquinas Academy (STAA). They try to be classical in flavor. They also offer academic placement help and personalize the program to your kid or your family. You can call their people for a free 30 minute question & answer session. If you do this, I recommend checking out their website beforehand so you know what questions to ask. I know a couple families using this option. One calls them a lot for encouragement & questions.  :coolgleamA:  It will not be a one-size fits all approach. They'll work with you so that both your kids can do similar topics & may even use the same books for history or science. I believe each of your kids will have to do some testing so they can be appropriately placed in math & language arts materials.

I think Seton really pushes doing a LOT of workbook/seatwork without much flexibility & leads to burnout for the kids. Kolbe is very rigorous in the upper grades. I don't know how enrollment at the lower grades is, but I think they are more flexible than Seton.

Best of luck in your homeschooling journey. I think you'll find that after a little while, you might feel comfortable enough to do this without as much handholding.

It might have have enough hand-holding for you, but Mater Amablis is another Catholic option.

Keep in mind that your children are still young. If all you do as you begin HS is reading, writing, and maths pretty much every day, it will be okay. Heck, even if you start with just one of those and get into a groove with it before adding another one, it will be okay. (I mean, assuming you/the kids don't just sit and twiddle your thumbs the rest of the day  :tongue_smilie: .) 

Welcome to the Hive!

• Like 1

I suspect you do not need enrollment.  You can buy curriculum that provides lesson plans and TMs.  You simply grade yourself.  Enrollment really doesn't offer much, especially in elementary school.

Seton is very, very, very, very school at home.  It is like a traditional workbook/textbook busywork box sent to your home that requires a lot of time to complete for low level cognitive output (basically it is very knowledge focused vs. critical thinking.)

Kolbe offers more intellectual challenge, but it is still schooly, but far less busy work focused than Seton.  Kolbe's lesson plans are very user friendly.

MODG is less schooly than the other options and still comes with daily lesson plans.

• Like 3

A resource guide that IMHO all Catholic HSers should own is For the Love of Literature: Teaching Core Subjects with Literature by Maureen Wittman.

I can't remember off the top of my head which of the Catholic publishers offers lesson plans for the Catholic Schools Textbook Project history series (Catholic Heritage Curricula perhaps?) but I really like the CSTP volumes we have used.

• Like 1

I enrolled my oldest with Kolbe for 4th grade, which at that time used Classical composition and Famous Men of Rome. We were also using Latina Christiana. By mid-year we loved the MP items so much that we abandoned Kolbe and moved to MP, adding in their literature and geography. In 5th we started nearly complete cores.

If you want to enroll, you could enroll Kolbe, use the parts you like and substitute anything MP you like. Kolbe is very flexible in this way.

There are so many Catholic families using MP. Some of the senior staff at MP are Catholic and some are Protestant so they do a good job tending to both. Most families add in the BC and/or Faith and Life. For the first couple of years after making the switch I continued to use the Kolbe religion plans, but we did it on our own this year.

The biggest differences to me between Kolbe and MP are 1) MP covers less material but more deeply. If you look at the upper years, Kolbe schedules so much reading. 2) MP is very orderly. All the materials lend themselves quite nicely to a 33-34 week year with a lesson covered each week. There is predictability to the schedule. Kolbe's lesson plans were not as neatly wrapped into weeks with more variation as to how much material was to be covered. I believe they may have arranged it so that more difficult material gets more time and easier material less time. While this may be great, I prefer the predictability of knowing I need to complete a lesson each week.

As far as oversight goes with Kolbe, I didn't feel there was much. I am certain if I reached out they would have helped me, but there is no one asking if work is getting done or making sure you report. So, if that is what you are seeking, I didn't find that.

Edited by SevenDaisies
  • Like 2

Interesting re: Memoria Press.  I was looking at Angelicum Academy yesterday and was very impressed with some of their courses, especially the 'Faith & Life' series and that they offer philosophy for children!  Wow, that's a biggie for me.  Has anyone had any experience with Angelicum and their enrollment services?  

I am so grateful for all the replies!