Menu

Graphing calculator vs. regular scientific calculator?

I want my rising 11th grader to use a graphing Calculator(TI 83plus) for the computations one would normally use a scientific calculator for. She and my rising 10th will be doing Algebra 2 and more importantly, Chemistry together next year.  So it makes sense for both of them to use the same calculator. I don’t anticipate needing it for Algebra 2.

They will not use it for things they should do by hand.  Are there pedagogical reasons that they should use a regular one? I can’t think of any, but I don’t want to overlook something.

Thanks,

Kendall 

• Like 1

My younger finds his Casio scientific calculator fx-115 ES faster than his TI 84 CE graphing calculator for SAT and ACT exams.

My older rarely use the calculators so he doesn't care which calculator he is using but he does graph using the TI84 out of amusement. It is possible to solve using the graphing calculator instead of showing the work for algebra 2. Since I do check my kids work for working, it hasn't been a problem. More of solving it both by hand and by calculator.

My older did say he can solve matrix problems without remembering matrix concepts by using his TI84.

E.g. http://cfcc.edu/faculty/cmoore/TI83MatrixOper.htm

ETA:

My kids have PacMan loaded on their TI84s :lol:

There are more games (besides PacMan) for TI83 http://tiwizard.com/games-for-ti-83-plus-and-ti-84-plus/

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

My husband, who has two engineering degrees and was just a few credits shy of a physics degree, told me he has used the graphing function on his calculator "approximately never". A solid scientific calculator is extremely useful, but graphing calculators aren't really necessary even in math heavy courses.

I also agree that a good HP or Casio scientific calculator can be much quicker than TI's. Something about the layout of the menus, but we have found the same.

Um.... I used to play on my graphing calculator instead of doing my assignments. Is that an additional pedagogical reason to not use one? Quite frankly there are strong arguments against using calculators shy of calculus anyway. We aren't big fans of them here except for speed of repetitious calculations (like inventory and sales) or extremely complex ones.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Thanks for the input so far. I will experiment with the other calculators I have about the speed issue. I hadn't thought about that.  Using it to graph or do other math that they should be doing by hand is not an issue. They always do math at the table near me because I teach it to them usually, and I like catching understanding errors quick. I also like teaching off their errors or just off the problems and connecting to other math they know (or should know).  

• Like 1

I can't think of any reason why a student would bother with a graphing calculator at all (except for AP calc).

In my entire physics career, I never used one. My physics major DD has never used one either.

Btw, I also see no reason why two siblings should use the same calculator. A second scientific calculator is $6.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

My son uses a TI 84 because that's what his school requires.  He only uses the graphing function if he is required to.  

I use an HP 35s (scientific calculator) and if I need to see a graph of something, I use Desmos on my computer.  

• Like 2

My son owns both but has never used the graphing mode, he just likes techie toys.  I think he might use it in his calc class next year, not sure (I did calc with a simple scientific calculator).  For the ACT, SAT... my kids were issued calculators at the testing site.

• Like 1

I would suggest a TI-84 series calculator instead of the TI-83, if you go with a TI.    The TI-84 series calculators seem to "own" the business of the schools in the USA.  For reasons I do not understand, DD needed a TI-84 series calculator, for her Algebra 1 course. Now she is finishing Geometry.  This may have something to do with preparing the students for SAT and ACT exams, but yet, there are threads that seem to indicate that a Graphing Calculator is not required for those exams.  As "Arctic Mama" quoted her DH as not using the Graphing functions, This is a mysterious topic and one that comes up rather frequently.

Edited by Lanny

The Precalculus text I used with my oldest 3 (I think I will switch for the next kids) required a graphing calculator (TI 84 silver plus i think-college son took it).  Once I started using it, I found myself grabbing it instead of my scientific when I do calculations. I still have a $5 garage sale TI 83 that I use now.

I like that I can see multiple calculations on the screen.

I like that I can use the answer or entry buttons to get back what I had entered to either verify that I entered it correctly or to redo a similar calculation and just change a number.

I like that I can see what the child entered so that I can talk to them about what is happening when they enter correctly and what they did wrong when not. 

For my daughter that struggles, I like that the buttons are pushed in the order you write them rather than backward  such as tangent .3 rather than .3 tangent. She struggles enough to learn the math, having to learn to reverse it on the calculator just adds something else to try to understand.  If I am working with two of them side by side I thought it would be easier to have them both entering things the same way.  

I tried a non graphing calculator with a screen but I didn't like it. Maybe I didn't give it a good enough try.

I guess I am wondering if it is important or valuable for especially the struggling child to learn how to enter things backwards using a regular scientific. She is semi- aware that she needs to on the regular scientific, but when we use it she is distracted away from the math by trying to remember how to enter and I don't know if working on that until she is comfortable is valuable use of our time. 

I do know that the graphing capabilities and other features unique to the graphing calculator are not needed for any testing nor math.

Thanks for all of the input. I do have several different regular scientific calculators and will experiment with the speed issue. One of them acts like the graphing, looking at it I think it is called Natural Display.  It is a Casio fx-115 ES another garage sale find:) which I haven't used much but am going to use side by side with the TI 83 today to see what I think. 

Thanks for all the input so far!

This may have something to do with preparing the students for SAT and ACT exams, but yet, there are threads that seem to indicate that a Graphing Calculator is not required for those exams. 

That is correct: there are no problems on the SAT and ACT, or even on the SAT 2 subject test in math, that would require a graphing calculator. My DD got great results on all three with a simple scientific calculator

(There are problems that require a graphing calculator on the AP calc test; they are designed so they can only be solved using one, for whatever ridiculous reason).

For my daughter that struggles, I like that the buttons are pushed in the order you write them rather than backward such as tangent .3 rather than .3 tangent.

It is a Casio fx-115 ES another garage sale find:) which I haven't used much but am going to use side by side with the TI 83 today to see what I think.

The Casio fx-115 ES is what I mentioned upthread. That one lets your daughter press the trigonometry functions then the angles. Besides the "font size" is bigger than the TI84

The graphing calculator is needed for AP Calc and AP Statistics.

This may have something to do with preparing the students for SAT and ACT exams, but yet, there are threads that seem to indicate that a Graphing Calculator is not required for those exams.

For schools that ask their students to buy their own calculators if possible, it is easier and cheaper to ask the students to buy a graphing calculator which is usable for all exams than to buy a scientific calculator for SAT and ACT followed by buying a graphing calculator for AP Calculus and AP Statistics.

I pulled out all of our calculators this morning and had forgotten I had the Casio. We haven't used it. It might be perfect.  

It is also good to have the reminder that the AP Calc exam requires the graphing calculator. I taught AP Calc last year to my son and hadn't stopped to remember  that it is required there.  That will only apply to the younger of these two daughters, but I need to keep in mind that at some point she will need to use the graphing calculator. I wanted to move away from a graphing calculator heavy pre calculus and probably still will.  Oh well, that is another issue that I have a year to figure out. 

• Like 1