Menu

Need info re: Victoria, BC and an update

Hikin' Mama

My baby graduated from homeschool a year ago, so I haven't been active here in quite awhile, but I need info and this is the best place to get it. :)

My daughter, her bff, and I are planning a trip to Victoria in August. We will fly to Seattle, spend a couple nights, and then ferry over to Victoria. I just need some suggestions of where to stay and any other BTDT advice.

Things we want to do:

high tea--where is the best place for this? (Does gluten free high tea exist? Only I am GF, so I can still partake of tea, no matter what.)

hiking--any suggestions for good trails not too far from Victoria?

Butchart Gardens

Craigdarroch Castle

girls might want to SUP

Provincial Museum

Night life suggestions--girls are 18 and 19, nothing super wild though :)

I am open to any other suggestions. We aren't shoppers so don't care about that. I would love suggestions regarding good centrally located hotels in a safe area. Is driving there fairly easy?

And since I haven't been here in awhile, other than to look something up, an update:

I am truly enjoying my post-homeschooling life. I have two older sons and the daughter, who graduated last year. Both of my sons live out of state. My daughter works two jobs and took one college class each semester this school year. She is still trying to decide what she wants to do with her life, but enjoying both jobs in the meantime and working about 50 hours per week.

I had many ideas of what I wanted to do after I "retired," but broke three bones in my leg in June 2016. That kinda shut down my plans, as I had to have surgery and wasn't allowed to be weight bearing for three months. I then began the journey of trying to get back in shape. (I was previously very active and a runner.) In the meantime, my son and his wife separated and divorced, she moved back here, and I began watching my grandkids (3yo and 1yo) full time while she works. I volunteered during tax season as a tax preparer and LOVED it! I still do all the bookkeeping for our business. I won't have the grands for 3.5 months this summer (they will be with their dad, my son), so I am going to do another volunteer job at a low income tax clinic that goes year round. I am also contemplating taking some science classes at the local CC beginning this fall. I already have a Bachelor's degree from many, many moons ago, but if I decide I want to get a second, I can go to the university a couple hours away and live with my brother there during the week (don't I have an awesome little bro?). However, I'm pretty committed to helping with my grands when they are here, so university may be a ways off. I'll just take all the CC classes I need first, and then go from there. I was able to take my first ever solo vacation this spring. Just my dog and I headed to the Oregon Coast and hiked and ran in the rain everyday. It was awesome!

Well, thank you for any and all advice you can give regarding a trip to Victoria, BC! We have wanted to go for a few years now, and it is finally working out that we will be able to.

• Like 2

Definitely the Empress for tea. We were there last year and stayed at Huntingdon Manor. It was in a nice area and easy walk to all the downtown attractions. Butchart Gardens was beautiful. Driving around wasn't bad in Victoria, but we mostly walked around town or took the little water taxis. We drove from Seattle to BC and took BC Ferries to Victoria. Really nice scenery on that route, and we even saw whales on the way. Dh can't do the Victoria Clipper, which is a lot faster, because he gets easily seasick.

• Like 1

3rd on The Empress for tea. I know they have a child's menu, and I don't eat gluten and remember eating, not sure if they have a gluten free menu or if I just ate fruit and veggies.

We also really enjoyed the minature museum and the bug museum.

re: Craigdarroch Castle

We went there a couple of years ago (kids ages 7 up to 19 or so, and myself) and all loved it.  It's walkable from the waterfront, although it's a longer walk (and sort of uphill getting there). 

The 19 year old could have a drink if she wanted!  I had my freshly 19 year old daughter with me and I bought her a mojito so I could buy her her first legal drink.  :)

Have you checked out Airbnb for accommodations?  That's the route I'd start with first, personally (but that could be because I'm a host and love Airbnb).  If you don't already have an account there, use this link to sign up and get $40 off a qualifying stay --> https://www.airbnb.com/c/dsautter6.

Victoria is wonderful!  We love Vancouver, too.  But Victoria is definitely more British feeling than Vancouver. 

If you want Fancy high tea thrn the empress is the place to go. If you just want high tea (or a really good breakfast) go to the James Bay Tearoom. It was recommended to me by a local last time I was there. I wanted to do tea but my daughter didn't want the frufru of the Empress. It was so good we went there every day. It is walkable from downtown but a long walk.

We stayed at the Royal Scot Hotel, it was nice but not fancy. Again, if you want fancy go to the Empress. Beautiful. Absolutly beautiful. The Royal Scot used to be apartments some of the rooms have a full kitchen.

Take the Victoria Clipper from Seattle. You can walk almost everywhere. They have busses to Butchart Gardens that are reasonable.

do remember victoria is another country - each person must have a passport.

there are three ways (well, actually four. five?) to get to victoria.

from seattle itself (you an take the train from the airport to downtown) - the victoria clipper   - two runs during the summer, three on fssm/weekends.  from the waterfront in downtown seattle to the inner harbor.  they do packages, places to stay, things to do. whale watching,  high tea at the empress (it really is the epitome in victoria for high tea), get you to/from places that do require transportation (re: butchartgardens). and will put it together for a discount over separate purchases.

victoria is never a place I'd associate with hiking . . .(further up the island, sure.)

do take some time to watch the performance artists in the inner harbor.  there have been some really good ones over the years.

parking in the inner harbor area of victoria (re: empress/provincial museum) - is a pain in the patootie.  unless you have a hotel that includes parking.

other modes of transport:  car ferries.

Washington state ferries from anacortes to sydney/the saanich penninsula.  get reservations.  one daily run,  not sure if they do two in the summer . . .keep in mind -you are going through customs.  (you're probably already aware, but you'd be surprised how many people don't think about it.)

Tswassen - bc ferries schwartz bay/saanich penninsula.  every two?three? hours for a run.

both go through the san juan/channel islands. san juans is a slightly prettier trip. bc ferries are nicer boats (and more of them).

blackball ferries from port angeles on the olympic penninsula to the inner harbor.

supposedly a new high speed passenger only catamaran from victoria to vancouver.

eta: was able to find the summer WA state ferry schedule.  there are two runs in the summer between anacortes and sydney/saanish penninsula.

Edited by gardenmom5

One thing I enjoyed when in Victoria for the day once was walking around by the houseboats.  It isn't anything fancy, but it is different and interesting to see what the community is like.

The BC Museum is quite good, so yes, I'd do that.  It's been forever since I went to Burchart Gardens, but it was so impressive when I did - highly recommend it.

Empress is where people do high tea in Victoria, and you could also hit the BC Parliament.  I like the stained glass windows in Latin.

I've been to Victoria a few times and never taken a car - I highly recommend taking transit if you can.  Worked great for us.

Edited by Incognito

Yes - PASSPORTS are a must now.

When downtown near the harbor, visit the Royal BC Museum  and eat fish and chips at Red Fish Blue Fish. Also, Barb's Fish and Ships is also fun and tasty, #2 to RFBF. Both are at different points along the river walk. Get there EARLY for lunch (by 11am) or dinner (by 5pm), as both places get huge lines at meal times

Also while downtown be sure to splurge one night and go to Ferris Grill & Garden Patio for dinner... oh.my.word! -- get the Pacific Rim -- the most amazing Asian dish ever! (prawns, wild salmon, stirfry veggies tossed with rice noodles in a spicy sichuan black bean sauce). Further inland is Penny Farthing pub -- I had a terrific salad with salmon on it. ;) If you like brewpubs, Spinnakers is fine. Make reservations for restaurants if eating at traditional meal times, as August is high tourist season on the island!

Also if visiting Craigdarroch Castle, just 2 blocks away, you can enjoy walking the grounds of the Lieutenant Governor's Mansion for FREE -- some of the most beautiful mature trees I've ever seen, plus many lovely plantings -- not as extensive as Butchart's, but very nicely kept, and the grounds were more extensive than I had guessed from looking at the outside. Both houses are about a 20 minute walk (5 minute drive) from downtown.

If doing tea in James Bay, then also walk the breakwater, and enjoy the Unity Wall mural.

You can take a bus to Butchart Gardens if you don't rent a car, but just be aware that the Gardens are a good 35 minutes away, mostly north and a bit west, from downtown Victoria.

We stayed (off season, so cheap) at a terrific Air BnB place that was the downstairs apt. of a house that was right about 2 blocks from downtown, so we walked everywhere. It was clean, had a full kitchen, livingroom, and I think the couch folded out into a bed, so up to 4 people could sleep comfortably. I can't find the name of the place now, but I see there are a lot of nice looking places, so you might look into cost/availability and have a place to yourself. Be sure to check about if it includes *parking* if you will have a car, as parking a car downtown is a nightmare, and a lot of the houses and new apartments there do NOT have parking availability.

If you do have a car, and are willing to drive about 2 hours (north, up the west side of Vancouver Island), the tide pools and nature trails at Botanical Bay are simply magical. I felt like I was in the Shire walking on the wood trails, and then the tide pools were amazing. It's important to time your visit at low tide so you really can see the tide pools -- the link in the middle of this webpage takes you to the tide timetables.

We also hiked a few miles of the Juan de Fuca trail (I think it was Mystic Beach to China Beach), which was lovely.http://www.explorevancouverisland.com/china_beach_vancouver_island_bc.htm

Have a SUPER trip! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

do remember victoria is another country - each person must have a passport.

Yes - PASSPORTS are a must now....

NOTE:

Passports are required only if you're 16 or over. Kids under the age of 16 do NOT need a passport if driving or taking the train into Canada. Flying in, yes, everyone of all ages needs a passport.

This is just an FYI; I know this is not applicable to the OP, just making a clarification for anyone else reading.I've taken kids both over and under 16 into (and out of!) the country in the last 2-3 years.  

Edited by milovany
  • Like 1

you're not taking children under 16, so you don't need those separate rules.

WA state ferry website:

U.S. and Canadian citizens 16 years of age and older traveling to or from Sidney BC  must have  one of the following designated documents: passport, passport card, enhanced driver's license (EDL), or "trusted traveler" document such as a Nexus Card. Travelers must have required travel documents such as passports and visas if necessary, ready and in hand at the tollbooth. Passengers must arrive at least 60 min. prior to the scheduled departure in order to facilitate documentation screening at the tollbooth or risk missing the sailing.

If you are not a United States or Canadian born citizen you will be required to have a passport and possibly a Visa.

victoria clipper (which also applies to trains and driving across.). flying is passport only.

BORDER CROSSING TRAVEL DOCUMENT REQUIREMENTS
  • A US Passport, Passport Card, Enhanced Driver License or an Enhanced ID Card (EDL/ID) is REQUIRED to cross the US/Canadian border by land and sea.

you can read more here;

http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-inspection-experience/documentation-needed-to-cross-border/

if you want to rent a car in seattle - and drive into Canada - check with the rental agency about doing so, as well as what is involved to drive a rental  across the boarder.

here are the rules about it for an American citizen. (they're different for Canadian citizens.)  http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-inspection-experience/rental-cars/

Passports needed only if you're 16 or over. Kids under the age of 16 do NOT need a passport if driving or taking the train into Canada (flying in, yes, everyone needs a passport). 

Just an FYI .... I've taken kids both over and under 16 into (and out of!) the country in the last 2-3 years.  16+ needs a passport; 15 and under does not.  I know this is not applicable to the OP, just making a clarification for anyone else reading. 

under 18 requires permission of both parents - that means a letter of consent if only one parent is present is strongly urged.

under 16 children also have ID requirements.

http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-inspection-experience/travelling-with-children/

here's the clippers list of 50 things to do in victoria.

http://www.clippervacations.com/things-to-do-victoria/

here's one that was interesting - it's been awhile.  replica of anne hathaways' cottage.

http://www.birdsofafeather.ca/attractions/anne-hathaways-cottage

Edited by gardenmom5

under 18 requires permission of both parents - that means a letter of consent if only one parent is present is strongly urged.

under 16 children also have ID requirements.

http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-inspection-experience/travelling-with-children/

Yes, I have always carried birth certificates and a letter from my husband when I've traveled with our kids, but without him, into/out of Canada. My parents were both born in Canada, so we've gone a lot.  Even WITH a letter and birth certificates for all, we were detained coming back into the States once while they contacted my husband by phone.  I just like to point out whenever I see it stated that everyone needs a passport for travel to/from Canada that kids 15 and under don't if traveling by land.  There were times we wouldn't have been able to go if that were the case because getting passports for seven kids at once was impossible financially.     

Edited by milovany

You've had some great responses already. I would suggest the Galloping Goose Trail for hiking: http://www.gallopinggoosetrail.com Beautiful scenery. Also, a walk along Dallas Road by the ocean is really nice. 

I love exploring downtown. There are great shops, neat buildings, and tons of fun places to eat. Beacon Hill Park is also nice to walk through - it's beautiful, there's a petting zoo, and you can hit the Beacon Hill Drive-In (https://www.beacondrivein.ca) for ice cream or a quick lunch afterwards. 

The Empress is known as "the" place to have tea. It's expensive. I took my mom and sister there for tea a few years ago and am glad that we did it.

I would consider a B&B for your accommodation. There are some really, really lovely old houses that are within walking distance of downtown. 

As for nightlife, I'm not sure about clubs, but Spinnakers was mentioned. That's a neat place. Bard and Banker is nice. For a completely unique and bizarre experience, you could pop in for a beer at Big Bad John's (

The drinking age is 19 in BC.

Thank you SO much for ALL the info! I'm glad to hear we probably won't need a car. I much prefer walking/public transport. I will probably just rent a car for the time(s) we want to go somewhere to hike.

And the passport info is good. I do have a passport and the girls have theirs in progress, but the last time I went to Canada, no passport was necessary. Things do change. :)

I can always count on the Hive for the best BTDT info!

Thank you SO much for ALL the info! I'm glad to hear we probably won't need a car. I much prefer walking/public transport. I will probably just rent a car for the time(s) we want to go somewhere to hike.

And the passport info is good. I do have a passport and the girls have theirs in progress, but the last time I went to Canada, no passport was necessary. Things do change. :)

I can always count on the Hive for the best BTDT info!

Have FUN! -- And one last PS -- I just saw that the Lt. Governor's Mansion serves tea at one of the cottages on the grounds! So if you walk up from downtown to visit Craigdarroch Castle, you can then go 2 blocks over to the Lt. Governor's Mansion, enjoy the gardens on the grounds, and then have tea before heading back to the downtown area! :)

• Like 2