Menu

And this is why I handle our family finances

creekland

Hubby - super sweet guy that he is (aka not a bashing thread) - decided to get me some CDs for Mother's Day since we listen to Oldies on the road and I'll be traveling a bit to my mom's and back.  So... he gets on Amazon, finds $30 worth of CDs he thinks I'll like, totally ignores their "Free Shipping with $35 purchased" and spends $6 for shipping instead.  :glare:  :cursing:

How do I know?  He ended up having it billed to youngest (unknown to youngest - not on purpose)- using my account on Amazon - so the Invoice and Shipping notification were sent to me.  :lol:  Naturally, as soon as I got the e-mail in I'm wondering WTH?  I didn't order anything.  Who hacked my account?  And since it was billed to youngest, I contacted him first - knowing he really wouldn't have done it as he has Amazon Prime.  "We" let him buy for us if purchasing under $35... or at least I thought it was "we" before.  Apparently the "we" was "me" even if he was right there with me shopping - even one month ago buying a DVD to use with MIL.  :confused1:

So... last night after I got over steaming about his spending the $$ on shipping for something I don't really need (I'm so not a "gift giver" love language wise.), we got laughing over it. He told me "They should have warnings on that site... Do you have your wife's approval?  Are you sure?  Has she looked this over before you push that button???"

Nah, I told him.  They probably want to kiss you and will send you oodles of e-mail.  Someone actually paid for shipping rather than selecting $5 off another item - even when they'll likely be making another purchase within a month to get something for FIL's birthday.   :lol:

His intentions were 100% pure and golden - I love him to death and if this is his only fault, I can live with it!  Still... I'm handling our finances and the vast majority of our shopping!   He'll be reimbursing youngest.

• Like 8

I don't see the problem. If you compare the $35 for free shipping next to the $30 plus $6 shipping, he overpaid one measly dollar. Not something to get excited about, in my opinion.

Not really.  We're also paying $5 more for the next item that we will probably get within a couple of weeks considering his dad's birthday is the beginning of June.  Then too, we'll have to add something to that cart to get free shipping as we usually spend about $25 on birthdays.  Had he combined shopping trips it'd have saved us from that too.  ;)

We won't even mention the stack of CDs we already own that have dust on them on our bookshelf.  I always listen to the radio when driving.  I had to double check that our van has a CD player.  These will get listened to once or twice, then gather their own dust - until we get rid of them in a couple of years when we downsize to a condo.

And we're supposedly saving for that Petra trip...

All in all, no biggie and I still say since this is his only fault, I'm not really complaining at this point.  It was just aggravating when I first saw it due to the whole WTH moment and having trouble understanding how an engineer could make such a gaffe when we've been shopping on Amazon (together) as recently as a month ago and always combine things to get free shipping or use youngest with his Prime acct.  (I can understand him thinking I'd like two of the CDs (Neil Diamond, Abba) - the other is probably for himself - Bruce Springsteen.)  Engineers like patterns/details.  Hubby likes patterns/details.  Why in the world did he break the pattern or not notice the details?  (Probably to get shopping over quickly.)

LOL!

I think that's why I have Prime. To save myself time over looking for $5 more to spend. Haha.

When DH got hurt last fall, someone gave us a Peapod gift card. Now, you know about where I live. Dominos and Papa John's don't deliver here. But Peapod does. So 8yo son is utterly thrilled that groceries arrived at our door without him having to lug them. He says, "Wouldn't it be nice if Peapod brought other stuff and not just groceries?" My reply: "That's called Amazon Prime, aka not dragging all the kids into WalMart for two items."

• Like 4

Even so....it always bugs me when DH spends more than necessary just because he wasn't paying attention.  Like when he went to buy oil for his truck and just grabbed it at the gas station because that's where he was and spent like 3X what I would have spent at the grocery store, had he just told me he went.  Sure, we have a car maintenance envelope and the money is already there, but sheesh.  Just pay a little bit of attention! lol

This catches my thoughts exactly.

We joked last night that it was a good example of something a comedian had said one time (not sure who anymore).

"A man will pay $20 for a $10 item because he wants it then."

Of course the flip side is:

"A woman will pay $5 to get a $10 item she doesn't need because it was on sale."   :laugh:

I told him next time to run any "presents" through me first and I'll pretend to be surprised if he wants.  I am really not a gift giver.  He actually likes that.  He never has to get flowers, chocolate, jewelry, etc, on all those "Hallmark Days."  I'm surprised he fell for this one TBH.  When the kids were here we had them get us "something" to teach them "normal" living (thinking future spouse), but we usually don't get each other things - not even for Christmas.  (We talk together about what we want to get "us" and often it's practical.  One year it was a new toilet.   :coolgleamA: )

I have found that the art of shopping is frequently lost on men.  I'm all about... did I get the best deal?  How can I get free shipping?  Was there a discount code I could use?  And I feel triumphant when I have accomplished that.

My dh, not so much.  I have learned to accept this about him.  It only leads to frustration otherwise.

• Like 2

I'm NOT the financial person in our house. I would have easily done what your dh did if I didn't pay attention. I ordered Amazon Prime free trial to save a couple bucks but forgot to cancel it - we buy very little on-line. We got charged the monthly fee, cancelled in time to get a refund, and somehow made $6 on the difference in exchange rate (Canadian dollars) in the meantime. A very lucky break for me.  :laugh:

• Like 3

I get it. DH bought seed packets for planting a garden. He just grabbed whatever looked good and if it looked really good he picked up two packets....Even though there's enough seeds in one packet for several plants. After planning out what we wanted to plant (and setting aside the duplicates!) we had about $6 worth of unneeded seed packets. He saw a fidget spinner at the mall and thought DD would like it so he got it. It was $20. I have one just like it in our amazon cart right now that is ~$6. He just doesn't get how those little bits keep adding up!

(also not trying to dh bash, we all have things we don't do well!)

• Like 1

Yep, 9 out of 10 times DH will tell me he put something in the cart and then when I'm ready I place the order (we have Prime now but he still does it) the one time he hits the buy button is because he knows I'll flip out and talk him out of buying the expensive, useless, you're not 20, why do you need a 12 inch sub-woofer and amp for your car?

• Like 1