Menu

What is your favourite literature based History for Middle School?

Hakg

Would anyone care to share what their favourite literature based history program for middle school is?

DS12 is finishing up SOTW 2 which he has enjoyed but we need something meatier with extra literature scheduled in, and not just recommended, like in SOTW.

I have been looking at Bookshark's Level 7 History which looks great and uses SOTW 3 & 4 which would be a bonus, but I cannot seem to find too many reviews for this program?

Does anyone have anything positive (or negative) to report about it?

Or any other recommendations or programs you have loved that are literature based?  I would prefer secular but don't mind christian content so long as its not too heavy.

Edited by Hakg
  • Like 1

I had the same experience with SOTW1.  My kids loved it but it just wasn't enough by itself.  I could have added things in myself but I wanted something already scheduled out.  So we switched over to BookShark 6 this year and it's been great!!!  We are already looking forward to BookShark 7 next year.  The literature selections have been great.  For me, that's been the best part of BookShark.  My son liked to read before but that was always last on his list of things to do.  He has now turned into an avid reader and reading is at the top of his list of things to do now.  He doesn't do well without a good night's sleep.  A few weeks ago he was a real bear in the mornings and I couldn't understand why.  He finally came clean and admitted that he'd taken a book light out of my room and had been staying up late reading books!  I couldn't be mad at that.  :-)

I would also recommend going over to the Sonlight forum.  They are a non-secular sister company to BookShark.  Their Core H is the equivalent to BookShark 7.  You will be able to find out a lot of information over there.  

Thanks I had forgotten about the Sunlight forum as I haven't had to search for new curriculum for a while now.

I had the same experience with SOTW1.  My kids loved it but it just wasn't enough by itself.  I could have added things in myself but I wanted something already scheduled out.  So we switched over to BookShark 6 this year and it's been great!!!  We are already looking forward to BookShark 7 next year.  The literature selections have been great.  For me, that's been the best part of BookShark.  My son liked to read before but that was always last on his list of things to do.  He has now turned into an avid reader and reading is at the top of his list of things to do now.  He doesn't do well without a good night's sleep.  A few weeks ago he was a real bear in the mornings and I couldn't understand why.  He finally came clean and admitted that he'd taken a book light out of my room and had been staying up late reading books!  I couldn't be mad at that.  :-)

Thanks I am leaning toward Bookshark.  Although will check out Beautiful Feet and Build Your Library listed above first.  Thats funny about your son, no you couldn't be mad about that!

MEMORIA PRESS has meaty literature with guides tied into history.  Here is an example of one of their literature sets: Eighth Grade Literature.  This is a history specific set: Famous Men of Rome.

BEAUTIFUL FEET has a few different literature-centered history programs, such as their Ancient History Intermediate Pack.

With both of these companies, the teacher's guide, student's guide, and schedule are all pre-made if you choose to utilize them.

• Like 1

I had the same experience with SOTW1.  My kids loved it but it just wasn't enough by itself.

Each SOTW book as an activity book that goes with it.  Each includes reading lists of literature and non-fiction, narration/comprehension questions, coloring pages, hands on projects and geography assignments that go with each reading in SOTW.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=story+of+the+world+activity+book&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Astory+of+the+world+activity+book

Edited by Homeschool Mom in AZ

We are using Build Your Library grade 8 at half pace right now and loving it.  There were a couple books which we swapped out (I don't mind a secular program but there was at least one anti-religious polemic included), but overall the books are great and I love that it combines world history and the history of science together so we can see how one influenced the other.  It is a lot of books (I think I counted 47) so we slowed it down to make the workload more reasonable and to allow for the kids to dig into topics they were interested in a little more.

Each SOTW book as an activity book that goes with it. Each includes reading lists of literature and non-fiction, narration/comprehension questions, coloring pages, hands on projects and geography assignments that go with each reading in SOTW.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=story+of+the+world+activity+book&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Astory+of+the+world+activity+book

We use the Classical House of Literature blog. It schedules SOTW readings alongside the lit too.

Is this site still fully functioning? I checked it out for recommendations for our upcoming year and every link to the actual lesson info was nonexistent. 🤔