Menu

Bread machines? Which one do you like?

Sweet Home Alabama

Thank you, Bluemongoose.  Honestly, I think that is the case with most of the machines.  I figured this would be the best place to ask to find out.

Several of the machines on  Amazon are priced very reasonably.  I used to have a double-batch bread machine years ago, and dh and I really enjoyed the home-made bread.

Thought it would be fun for our kids to enjoy one now especially since one can be had for less than $100. 

Hoping the bump back up to the top will give others a chance to reply.

:)

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama

Thanks, ladies!  

Would you all please tell me the model of your machines if the beeping is low/quiet?

I would like to be able to look at them.

KungFuPanda, would I use a bread machine recipe with the mixer?  Feels silly to ask.  It's so easy to dump ingredients in the machine and walk away.  Seems like using a mixer would be more work, but you're right about avoiding the obnoxious beeping.

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama

I have owned several and the Zoji is the best buy. It is more expensive but has lasted me... over 8 years now?  Honestly it could be closer to 10. None of the other ones I used lasted longer than a year. I had a very good Breadman, which at the time was the top challenger to the Zoji and it died just past the one year mark. Well, the timer or something went and my bread was under cooked 50% of the time. I took that as a warning that it was on the way out.  The Zoji is still going strong and I would replace it tomorrow if it died.

It does beep mid cycle and when it's done.  I am wondering if it is possible to put a piece of tape over some part of it to muffle the beep?

And yes, a stand mixer does a great job at making dough and doesn't beep. I adore my stand mixer. I could live without my bread machine but not my stand mixer because it does so many other things. My zoji is a nice luxury to have, especially with kids in the house. But, as a baker, I would never give up my stand mixer. If I wanted to be beep free, I would just go with a stand mixer. Plus, it does more than knead dough and keep it at a good temp.

Redsquirrel, when you say that the stand mixer does more than knead dough and keep it at a good temp, would you elaborate?  I haven't used a stand mixer.  We have my dh's grandmother's stand mixer, and he uses it to make homemade pizza dough.   I just thought a bread machine would do that and so much more.  Plus, I've used a bread machine and enjoy walking away after dumping the ingredients into it and returning to a fresh, hot, yummy-smelling load of bread.

Thanks, ladies!

Would you all please tell me the model of your machines if the beeping is low/quiet?

I would like to be able to look at them.

KungFuPanda, would I use a bread machine recipe with the mixer? Feels silly to ask. It's so easy to dump ingredients in the machine and walk away. Seems like using a mixer would be more work, but you're right about avoiding the obnoxious beeping.

You absolutely could use a bread machine recipe. I have a couple recipes from my old bread machine that I still use.

It just seems like when you first get a bread machine, it's magical and perfect. Eventually you start baking it yourself in the oven to control the crust. Then you decide to knead it a little if it's a humid day and the tough is a little sticky. One day you realize you're using the thing as a mixer when an actual mixer would be useful for more things. Might as well skip the bread machine. None of the other steps are any harder than measuring ingredients.

ETA: Even my food processor has a dough hook and I often use that if I want to make a small loaf or a single pizza crust.

Edited by KungFuPanda

She is our baby!!!  :)  She is a golden/ German shepherd mix, and her personality favors the golden breed.  She is the sweetest dog in the world, but so scared of thunder and beeping.  

I have this Oster and love it, but the beeping is very loud and can't be turned off. Definitely don't get this one! 

You are so sweet to think of your dog's comfort.  :thumbup1:

Redsquirrel, when you say that the stand mixer does more than knead dough and keep it at a good temp, would you elaborate?  I haven't used a stand mixer.  We have my dh's grandmother's stand mixer, and he uses it to make homemade pizza dough.   I just thought a bread machine would do that and so much more.  Plus, I've used a bread machine and enjoy walking away after dumping the ingredients into it and returning to a fresh, hot, yummy-smelling load of bread.

Well, a bread machine kneads dough very well and it keeps it at optimal temp for yeast. It also bakes the bread if you like.  I use mine for making a wide variety of bread dough that I then bake in the oven, making pizza dough, and making and baking some breads right in the machine. But that is about the extent of what it does.  I know some say they make jam or a cake, but that is just taking advantage of the heating element, it's not really what it's meant to do and I can't imagine it does it well.

My stand mixer (I have a kitchen aid) can knead bread or pizza dough, mix things like cookie batter or cake batter or beat frosting for cake, or pate choux, and also whip meringues and make whipped cream or marshmallows.  In other words, I can make bread with a stand mixer but I can't make cookies and royal icing with a bread machine. I have more options with my stand mixer than I do with a bread machine.

With the Kitchen-Aid, can I follow my bread machine recipe (dump everything in) then turn it on ad walk away? Obviously, there's more to it, but can I dump, turn it on, let it mix, turn it off, let it sit (on the counter?) punch it down, then bake? Is punching necessary? If it's that easy I may try.

We have had several bread machines and they keep committing suicide by jumping off the counter. I have gotten them at Goodwill so the expense isn't terrible (FYI- there's always bread machines at Goodwill!), but since i got my stand mixer, I thought I'd just use that. It's been almost 2 yrs and I still haven't tried baking bread with it because it is intimidating and I used to make it weekly with the bread machine.

Edited by Paige