Menu

Teenager flying and I have connecting flight questions ?

amyx4

So, ds17 is flying at the end of the month for a team event. He hasn't flow since he was 5. He's flying by himself. (I'm fine with that) At the final destination there will be other coaches/parents looking for him. 

The prices seem to be cheaper if he has a connecting flight vs. a direct flight or layover.  Same airline all the way though. 

Should I not book this? If not, why not? 

I'm open to any and all free advice. He's the last of the team to book cause we need save bit more for this event.

• Like 1

Make sure connecting time is sufficient for the airport. You can look up minimum connection times online. Often it won't let you book a too tight connection, but sometimes suggested flights don't really meet the minimum requirement. 

Do not book the last flight of the day. If he flies early in the day, there will be more alternatives on which he can be rebooked if he misses his connection.

Make sure he knows what to do if he misses his connecting flight. The airline has to fly him to his destination, so he need not panic.

• Like 2

The prices seem to be cheaper if he has a connecting flight vs. a direct flight or layover. Same airline all the way though.

Which airport is he transiting at? Does the airport typically have delayed or cancelled flights?

We missed a connecting flight at Hong Kong airport due to typhoons season resulting in the plane we were on arriving late at the HK airport from SFO. We has to stay overnight at the transit lounge because three flights were cancelled due to the same bad weather. So we missed our 11pm flight and the 2am, 4am and 6am flights were canceled.

ETA:

SFO has many flight delays too.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

If there is a substantial price differential, go for the 2 very short flights, instead of one longer flight. However: He should leave as early as possible in the morning (eg: 7 A.M. scheduled departure from the origin airport).  I would personally allow 2 hours, between the scheduled arrival of the first flight and the scheduled departure of the 2nd flight. This will be in Summer, so there is only a very slight chance of diversion (because of severe Thunderstorms at the connecting airport, for example). I would FULLY PREPARE him for what to do in the event that he misconnects and the airline cannot get him to his destination airport the same day. I would FULLY PREPARE him for what to do if he needs to stay in the connecting city overnight, if things go terribly wrong.  Probably everything will be perfect and there will be no issues. 

My teenager has done a fair amount of air travel alone, including all the way to South Africa. 

Book a morning flight, not the last flight of the day.

Allow 3 hours for connections. Many travel agents say less is fine, but I have been burned when I tried to schedule less. Stuff comes up. Best for your teenager to have a bit of a wait and be able to find his connection in a relaxed, unpanicked manner.

Buy travel insurance. Our daughter missed her connecting flight in New York on the way to South Africa due to weather. The insurance covered her to stay in a really nice (safe!) hotel minutes from the airport, and the insurance gave her access to a VIP lounge both in the hotel and in the airport. I felt much, much better knowing she had easy access to food and that she was in a secure environment.

DD15 flies fairly often and always with connecting flights.  You mostly can't get There from Here without a connection 

Most useful thing for her to have when connections go weird has been a smart phone.  Flight cancelled?  She calls me and I call the airline directly and we get her rebooked.  Much better than waiting in line. Flight Delayed?  She gets a notice on the airline app on her phone.  Same thing for a gate change.  Can't find Grandma at the other end?  Call grandma's cell phone.

I never book connections less than an hour apart - two hours is about perfect.

• Like 1