Menu

Cheap vacation ideas leaving from Dallas, TX??

staceyobu

We want to leave town for a week or so.  Probably no more than 20 hours of driving.  We don't have thousands of dollars to spend, but  I am so itching to go somewhere that I'm trying to figure out a cheap way to do it.  We are open to the idea of camping, but also a bit leery of the work.  I saw one suggestion for DC because most of the museums there are free?!  My son is in 4th grade, so I've spent a lot of time looking at National Parks because 4th graders get free entrance.  

I'm just sorta stuck.  Yellowstone was at the top of my list, but geez, it's a long trip. We've done weekend trips so many times all over Texas.  I'd really like something slightly more epic!

Any suggestions??

Edited by staceyobu

St. Louis, and go to the City Museum. Seriously. There's tons to do there besides that -- caverns, the rivers, awesome zoo, the arch, plenty of historic sites between here & there and in the vicinity.....more of a city vacation than an outdoorsy one, but the City Museum is truly epic. Words can't describe, and the website photos don't do it justice.....

If you want more outdoorsy.....the El Malpais area of New Mexico is I think closer than Yellowstone, and very cool. Ice cave, lava flows (remains of lava flows, I should say, nothing active), really neat countryside. You could go into Chaco Canyon, etc. Not sure the distance from Dallas; we did it from Houston and it was I think 16 hrs (maybe 18?). 

Hot Springs Arkansas is another good spot; we've not been, but it's on the list. 

still in Texas but we just went to Cap Rock Canyon which was amazing. That's camping, though, so if you aren't ready to camp, maybe look at which parks have cabins (and then check availability). 

Lots of good ideas....have fun finding something!

• Like 1

We stay at the Marriott in Custer because we have a bigger size family than average. We use the two room suite and they have a great breakfast that even has hot foods every morning. But the first time we went during our marriage, we stayed at this little motel. It looks, not so great, from the outside. But it was actually very clean and comfy from the inside and just fine. That was called the Rocket Inn. I still know people who stay there. It is also in Custer. Growing up, we would camp when we went to the Black Hills. There is plenty for that too.

On things to do, one National Park pass gets you in to so much! This includes caves. You need to go to the caves the night before and get your tickets for the next day. They are free with the National Park pass. But you need the tickets and they do run out. But you are fine to get them the day before. Things we have done in the past and enjoy....

Car Henge on the way up. It is in Alliance, NE. Then the Mammoth Museum http://mammothsite.com alsoon the way up. After there (or on the way in if you do the reverse route as us) the geology museum at SD School of Mines. And we have always wanted to go to the Music Museum at USD in Vermillion, but that might be out of your way. The entire state is full of things to see and do. My favorite place in the world is Sylvan Lake  https://gfp.sd.gov/state-parks/directory/custer/campgrounds/sylvan-lake/. Make sure you hike that. And drive through the circle in Custer, I do not recall what it is called. It is the Loop or something..

Oh, get a paper map from a rest stop. They are free. Or heck, call ahead and see if they have a vacation package of things to do. Reserve in advance and DO NOT go on the week or Sturgis. Also, we always ride the 1880's train. And my older children have done this ropes course. It is across from a Pizza place we like too, and my younger children do the Alpine Slide while the olders do the Rope course.

Edited by Janeway

When we drive, we go straight up 35, and then in Wichita, we go to 81, and then once in NE, we go west on 80 and then north at Alliance. Our directions might not be optimal for you on the return though because we had family there. As of today, the word HAD is past tense. 

Oh, and don't forget the Badlands and Wall.

Not sure about in your area, but I rented a cabin. I love to camp, but with young children it is hard to pack and haul everything. I found a cabin that rents out for $350.00 per week. The items that you pack are towels, soap, clothes and food. It comes with pots, pans, blankets, pillows... most everything. This allowed all of us to enjoy our vacation. We turned the vacation into a wildlife tour to help with their schooling.

• Like 1

Not sure about in your area, but I rented a cabin. I love to camp, but with young children it is hard to pack and haul everything. I found a cabin that rents out for $350.00 per week. The items that you pack are towels, soap, clothes and food. It comes with pots, pans, blankets, pillows... most everything. This allowed all of us to enjoy our vacation. We turned the vacation into a wildlife tour to help with their schooling.

Where? Do tell please!

Hot Springs AK is awesome.  And New Mexico, aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh....

And are you game for Mexico itself?

I think flight prices for a family of 6 are going to be too high.  My understanding is that driving to the safe parts via the border is not safe.  

• Like 1

What types of things do you like to do?

From where you and the 20 hour limit, are there are so many places you could go, D.C. is great. We tagged along on a business trip there last spring and my kids loved it.

TN is closer, the Gatlinburg area has hiking in addition to all kinds of touristy things like Dollywood, mini-golf, go carts, an aquarium, etc. Nashville has a great science center, lots of music related things and the Parthenon (especially neat if you are studying ancient Greeks).

Janesways suggestion of the Black Hills is good, I went there many time as a kid and I'm taking my family there later this year.

Arkansas has a state park where you can dig for diamonds and keep any you find, I haven't done it but it's in my list of places I want to go.

• Like 1

Destin Florida about 9 - 10 hour drive. Topsail Hill Preserve State Park has nice cabins for $145 a night. Only draw back, to me, is no cars allowed at the 3 miles of white sandy beach, so your choice is to walk, ride a bike or take the trolley that runs every hour.

What types of things do you like to do?

This is part of my problem in being decisive. I have LOOOVED every where I have ever been. New Orleans?  Loved it.  NYC? Loved it.  New Mexico mountains? Loved it.  Camping in Arkansas?  Loved it.  South Padre? Loved it.  

We have lived in various cities in Texas and explored most of what is available in our state.  We have also frequently been to New Mexico because we used to live an hour away from the border.  We've done Colorado frequently, but not in a long time... so most of our kids wouldn't remember it.  

I love camping, beach trips, mountain trips, roughing it in a tent, nice hotels, middle of nowhere, middle of a huge city.  

The kids and DH haven't come up with anything that they really want to do. So, I think I can be persuasive on just about anything.  But, what to use my persuasive powers for...

• Like 1