Menu

Retin A gel or cream?

IfIOnly

I decided to start with an OTC retinoid cream before going to a prescription strength. I had some dryness and a wee bit of flakiness at first, but my skin is fine now and looks great!  I'm ready to move on to a stronger strength. The problem is I'm not sure whether to go with the cream or gel .025%. I've read the gel is harsher even though it's the same strength (for some the .025 gel is harsher than the .05 cream) but also that the cream can break some people out, which has been a real problem for some. I have sensitive but super acne prone skin and my pores clog easily (blackheads for example). I'm afraid the gel will be to harsh but that the cream will break me out. I haven't been able to wear lotion in the past even though I've tried so many kinds because they've all clogged my pores. All of them. But, I've had success with the OTC retinol cream probably because the retinol is keeping the pores clear and balancing the emollient qualities of the lotion, so maybe the cream would be okay. Switching to the gel has been a really good move for those who were getting breakouts from the cream though. It wouldn't be that big of deal to experiment, but the prescription stuff isn't cheap. It may end up being what happens anyway.

Any thoughts or experience? Thank you!

• Like 1

The thing is that even all retinoid creams are not formulated the same. I find some creams drying (and those might work for you because I like a very heavy cream feel on my face, think Nivea or La Mer)--these don't come close but at least don't dry me out. I don't have the US names for these so I agree, ask for samples. I've never used gel.

• Like 1

One recommendation I heard was to start out slow with applying only once or twice and week and then gradually moving your way up as your skin gets used to it.  Most people quit Retin-a because they can't handle all the side effects, but I have heard that the easing into can help.  I am actually trying Differin right now instead of Retin-a because it is over the counter and a little cheaper for me.  I would start with the .025 of Retin-a and see how it goes.  I will warn you that Differin and Retin-a are much stronger than other OTC formulas.  

• Like 1

I have been thinking about starting something (more than soap& water 😀) Which OTC did you use?

I'm using this product recommended on the boards here: http://www.neutrogena.com/product/healthy+skin+anti-wrinkle+cream+-+night.do

There may be stronger OTC products out there, and I don't know how much it's done for my wrinkles. My skin looks great though: glowing, pores are clearer and less noticeable, even skin tone. 

• Like 1

One recommendation I heard was to start out slow with applying only once or twice and week and then gradually moving your way up as your skin gets used to it.  Most people quit Retin-a because they can't handle all the side effects, but I have heard that the easing into can help.  I am actually trying Differin right now instead of Retin-a because it is over the counter and a little cheaper for me.  I would start with the .025 of Retin-a and see how it goes.  I will warn you that Differin and Retin-a are much stronger than other OTC formulas.  

Hm, I haven't heard of Differin. I will look into that. And, yes, I'm going to follow Angie's advice and go very slowly. Thank you!

The thing is that even all retinoid creams are not formulated the same. I find some creams drying (and those might work for you because I like a very heavy cream feel on my face, think Nivea or La Mer)--these don't come close but at least don't dry me out. I don't have the US names for these so I agree, ask for samples. I've never used gel.

I know one company uses mineral oil in there cream. Anytime I've used mineral oil, my skin has looked awful with painful cystic acne. 

I'm not using a derm so can't ask for samples but will be able to research a bit better with your info. Thank you!

I think if you successfully have been using the Neutrogena cream, then you could probably use the retin a cream. I've used both of those products with good success. I have not tried the retin a gel though. I feel like I need something creamier to offset the drying effects of the retin. Plus, I've always hated gel on my face.. it always seems sticky to me! (Fwiw, I have sensitive, acne-prone skin)

• Like 1

I know one company uses mineral oil in there cream. Anytime I've used mineral oil, my skin has looked awful with painful cystic acne.

I'm not using a derm so can't ask for samples but will be able to research a bit better with your info. Thank you!

The euro name for the one I like (prob too oily for you) is Ketrel. The US name for a similar one is Renova (I think).

The one that dried me out and so you might love is Retacnyl.

ETA that these are all prescription. I know nothing about OTC

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

Question, has anyone ever had a "bad batch" of retin A?  I used tretonin .5% several years ago and it was great.  I had some peeling and redness, but then it eased up, etc.  Haven't used it in a really long time.  Just recently asked for a new prescription, same strength.  I used it every other day for about a week, and nothing.  Then I used it every day for TWO WEEKS.  No peeling, not even a bit.  I feel like it's just not working at all. I'm very upset because I can't afford to just get another one.

Question, has anyone ever had a "bad batch" of retin A?  I used tretonin .5% several years ago and it was great.  I had some peeling and redness, but then it eased up, etc.  Haven't used it in a really long time.  Just recently asked for a new prescription, same strength.  I used it every other day for about a week, and nothing.  Then I used it every day for TWO WEEKS.  No peeling, not even a bit.  I feel like it's just not working at all. I'm very upset because I can't afford to just get another one.

Oh, no.  bumping for you

Could you maybe exchange what amount you have left for a different brand? Do you know if it the same brand you took years before? It sounds like product effectiveness can vary, but maybe you did just get a bum batch. 

• Like 1