Menu

A good source to look at home building plans?

mommyoffive

Look up Don Gardner. I love his plans. There is also one called Home Plans dot com, where you can apply filters for the designs you're looking for. I think you can do that at Gardner's, too.

• Like 1

We looked at a ton of stuff, but ended up ordering ours from Coolhouseplans.com.  In fact, this is the plan we bought: http://222.coolhouseplans.com/details.html?pid=chp-11446

Neat, thanks

I think I should get this one just because it has a home school room written in!  

http://222.coolhouseplans.com/details.html?pid=chp-27860

• Like 1

We spent years looking at Don Gardner and William Poole and Stephen Fuller home plans. When it came time to actually build a house, we ended up going to a local architect that worked with many of our local custom home builders. He had a large catalog of custom home plans he had done for builders in our area. We found a plan we liked and he tweaked it to meet our needs perfectly. I highly recommend a local architect over Gardner, etc. It really didn't cost us any more for plans than if we had ordered from Southern Living or Gardner, etc.

We didn't have a general contractor--we did all the sub contracting ourselves, but our impression was that the builders in our area preferred using plans from a local architect than the big name guys. When we started scrutinizing Fuller's and Poole's plans, we found things we didn't like in the plans--like the plumbing layout or the kitchen layout. It was so easy working with the local architect to tweak the plans to get exactly what we needed.

Edited by stephensgirls