Menu

FAFSA's Data Retrieval Tool was hacked

8filltheheart

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/06/us/politics/internal-revenue-service-breach-taxpayer-data.html?_r=0

WASHINGTON — The Internal Revenue Service said on Thursday that the personal data of as many as 100,000 taxpayers could have been compromised through a scheme in which hackers posed as students using an online tool to apply for financial aid....

The possibility of an attack became known in early March after the I.R.S. shut down its Data Retrieval Tool, which families used to import tax information to Fafsa, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, on the Education Department’s website. The shutdown, at the height of financial aid application season, caused outrage among parents and students trying to fill out the complicated Fafsa forms.

Be careful with responding to letters and emails about this. After the big OPM hack a few years back the agency sent out emails and letters, but there were also phishing emails because scammers knew enough to create realistic looking announcement that collected more personal info.

It is a vicious circle.

I'm appalled that the IRS knew this was an issue but didn't tell anyone or shut down the system. Yes it would have been disruptive, but so is having your tax return fraudulently submitted.

• Like 2

I'm disappointed in how little press this is getting.  THIS thread is on the first page of results for "FAFSA hacked".  

That's probably b/c the search adjusts to your internet activity or searches.  I often get a welltrained mind result b/c I use google to search these forums.

I saw the FAFSA thing yesterday on NBC so it is getting some press.

• Like 1

That's probably b/c the search adjusts to your internet activity or searches.  I often get a welltrained mind result b/c I use google to search these forums.

I saw the FAFSA thing yesterday on NBC so it is getting some press.

Good point.

I had expected it to show up on the CNN main page, but didn't see it.  Washington Post did run a piece on it too.