Menu

Can we talk about grading and High School?

I was using only average test scores for math, to give my son a grade for last semester.  

I realized, that, using this method, I would be really shorting him on his GPA as compared to his schooled counterparts.  The reason I say this, is that looking online at many different syllabuses, most teachers include a homework grade, class participation grade, test grades, and the test grades.

I have decided to use this method with my son from now on with his math, but I wonder what is a fair distribution?

I am thinking:

Tests 60%

Homework: 30%

Class Participation: 5%

Notebook: 5% 

I actually found syllabi onine which count tests for only 50% and homework for 40% ...but that seems overly generous to me, and also not mastery based enough.

What say the HIVE?

I am thinking:

Tests 60%

I actually found syllabi onine which count tests for only 50% and homework for 40% ...but that seems overly generous to me, and also not mastery based enough.

What say the HIVE?

I think consistency is the key.  Just pick a method and stick with it.  I remember driving myself mad over that, trying to find the perfect percentage.  Then you realize that public and private school teachers all have different breakdowns so it isn't really a big deal  :thumbup1:

• Like 3

I give homework equal weight with tests, because I have found that my dd can do work that is classwork/homework perfectly 5 days in a row and then freeze on a test and pull a C. But then if I give a second test with same type of questions, it will be back up to an A. Maybe I'm too soft ☺ï¸.

She did an online class last year that was 70% tests and finals, and 30% everything else, but the teacher also graded on a curve, so she managed an A there too, even though almost none of her tests were true As, just an A on the curve.

I agree with Attolia - be consistent, but don't stress too much about the method.

• Like 1

I was using only average test scores for math, to give my son a grade for last semester.  

I realized, that, using this method, I would be really shorting him on his GPA as compared to his schooled counterparts.  The reason I say this, is that looking online at many different syllabuses, most teachers include a homework grade, class participation grade, test grades, and the test grades.

I have decided to use this method with my son from now on with his math, but I wonder what is a fair distribution?

I am thinking:

Tests 60%

What say the HIVE?

How will you determine "class participation"?

• Like 1

I have different methods for each course.  I can't imagine trying to assign dd a class participation grade for math, but I also teach both of my daughters in two of our co-op classes where class participation is important and 15-20% of their grades.

Some of our classes include quizzes, some have a greater reliance on notebooks.

I'd like to make things simpler, but that doesn't seem any more fair, given the various content and work requirements.

• Like 1

We teach to mastery and long term retention. I see not reason to move on in math if the topic has not been mastered. One comprehensive final determines the grade in math. 

In science, a monthly test. HW and labs are completed to my satisfaction.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 5

I personally just do test averages for Math.  That is what my teachers in high school and college did.  The one thing I do (that many of those teachers did also) is allow for 1/2 points for corrections.  Once I give dd her test back she has one day to correct it and I will give her points back if she can fix her own problems.  This way I can see that she really did learn the material.

• Like 2

I am basing the math grade on tests alone. 60% chapter test average, 40% final. But then, if the grades on any test are low, that would show that the material isn't mastered, and we would have to go back and make sure that happens. I see on many syllabi that kids get another chance to bring up their grade to some extent on any particular test, if they bomb it. So I don't know what's best.

There are different ways of counting homework, too. Some just check off that it is done, and give full points. Some only get full points if they correct their wrong answers in a timely manner. I never thought it was fair to get a homework grade on how one actually answered the problems, because the purpose of homework is for practice and learning, and there shouldn't be the same pressure on it. But I also don't give a grade boost just for doing the homework, because I think they should do the homework as a matter of course, and I know they are doing it because I am here and checking up on them.

I think probably any way of doing it is somewhat artificial, at home or at school, but especially at home. The home school has a class of one, with a parent "tutor" available most of the time. The school has many students per class. If a new teacher plans a course and designs tests and a grading system, and then nearly all of the students end up with a C or below and no one gets an A, she is going to have some explaining to do. Either it is her poor teaching, or the students aren't ready for the material, and/ or the grading system is too harsh for the group of kids she has, so more extra credit and freebies are then built in to the course, the tests are made easier, etc. Either way, who is to say what is more fair from one classroom to another.

I don't worry about pluses and minuses or numbers for grades, though. I do 90-100 is an A, etc. I think that helps a little bit with the subjectivity of it all.

• Like 1