Menu

Shopping for used clothes online

Just Kate

I'm working on revamping my wardrobe and I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck with any of the consignment websites (like thread up...I'm assuming there are more)? If so, I'd like to hear about your experience.

I wish I lived in an area with local higher-end consignment shops, but I don't. Hoping online shopping may be an option.

• Like 1

I love ThredUp. It's super easy to use, and I have gotten several nice things from there. Just remember to be prompt sending the things back that you do not love.

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk

Yes, ThredUp (I was on my iPhone when I first posted and autocorrect kept changing it!). I haven't consignment shopped much, so I am unsure about sizing. Since the clothes are used (and have been washed and dried), I am concerned that the clothes may have shrunk a little and not fit correctly. Have you run into this? Are the clothes always in good condition?

Thanks a bunch!

• Like 1

Yes, ThredUp (I was on my iPhone when I first posted and autocorrect kept changing it!). I haven't consignment shopped much, so I am unsure about sizing. Since the clothes are used (and have been washed and dried), I am concerned that the clothes may have shrunk a little and not fit correctly. Have you run into this? Are the clothes always in good condition?

Thanks a bunch!

As far as shrinkage, I'd rather buy used clothes that have already gone through the laundry!  When you try on something brand new, you have to consider whether the garment will shrink in the wash or not, and try to allow for that.  But when you're buying used, any shrinkage would've already happened and the fit is true.

Everything I've gotten (and it's been quite a bit, really - 4 girls and my own self) has been in great shape.  They actually have a lot of new with tags items, too.  And if I wasn't happy with the condition, I would totally send it back.  I send a lot of thing back as it is - we'll order several pairs of jeans for my skinny kid and hope one fits.  I always opt for the store credit when returning, that way shipping is free.  I know that I'll order from them again and use my credit, so it's an easy choice for me.

• Like 1

I've used eBay and Tradesy.

I buy brands that I'm already familiar with, and usually when the seller has enough photos to tell the condition, and includes measurements. 

Tradesy does have free returns and many eBay sellers take returns though you'll probably have to pay return shipping unless it's not as described.

I've never used any of the online consignment shops--good luck!

Thanks a bunch!

They tell you the condition of the items in the description and don't accept items that are more than gently used. Some items are NWT or NWOT.

ETA: I think I have seen some sportswear that's in a more worn condition there, but that's indicated on the description.

Edited by GalaxyGal

I love ThredUp, and have found the clothes to be in excellent condition.  I just order a bunch (like, 8 pairs of jeans if I am looking for 1 or 2), try them on, and promptly send back what I don't like and what doesn't fit.  It can be tough to know sizes for new brands, but there is never a problem returning things.  Just be sure to order enough so that you end up with a few things to keep.