Menu

Casper mattress?

Grantmom

Anyone heard of or tried the Casper mattress?  We need a new mattress and would like to get something without flame retardants and other nasty chemicals.  This seems like a really good in-between option, and less expensive than the ultra pricey organic mattresses.  My only concern is not being able to sit on it before buying it, since it is all online.

Have not heard of Casper but we just got a Saatva, organic cotton and no whiff of chemicals and all that off gassing you get with so many others.

I was also concerned about not seeing the mattress since Saatva is online but it turned out it's the best mattress I have owned in a while.

Sitting on it does not really tell us much either since we get used to it after we sleep on it for several nights. Once someone had pointed this out to me, I just took the plunge and, so far, have not regretted it.

• Like 2

The Chris Loves Julia blog talks about them a bit, if you search their archives. They have both a Casper and a Leesa, and they prefer the Leesa. Everything I've heard says the Leesa is a bit softer and less foamy than the Casper, so that will probably be our next mattress.

• Like 1

I had not heard of that one!  It looks similar in model, except the Casper is just one size fits all.  It looks like with the Saatva, you can choose your comfort level.  Which one did you get? 

We bought Luxury Firm. I am happy with it. Supposedly good for side sleepers. I had back trouble and it's heaps better.

• Like 1

I will be checking all of the above out. :)

We have White Lotus organic - no flame retardants, really nothing but wool and cotton. Time to replace them, though.

This is exactly what we have now, and why I am so hesitant about ordering another mattress online.  It is very dense and gives me back pain if I sleep on it for more than a night or two.  I thought firm mattresses were supposed to help with back pain, but this one does not work well for me.  

This is exactly what we have now, and why I am so hesitant about ordering another mattress online. It is very dense and gives me back pain if I sleep on it for more than a night or two. I thought firm mattresses were supposed to help with back pain, but this one does not work well for me.

Yes! Same here. We not so fondly call it our rock.

We have a king and two twins, and have had them for several years. They are all very dense and ... rock-like. :(

I'm sorry you're having the same issue.

• Like 1

We need a new mattress too. The one we have is really firm and it causes both DH and I to have back pain.

We both have Casper pillows and really like them, so we are considering the Casper mattress. Casper has started to sell their mattresses in West Elm stores, so if you have one near you, you can check it out.  Here's a list of locations: https://casper.com/west-elm

Also, Casper seems to have a really good return policy. You have 100 days to try out your mattress, and if you end up not liking it, they'll come pick it up for free and give you a full refund. 

I've also considered the Leesa mattress, but I haven't done enough research online yet for comparison.

Good luck!

• Like 1

We just bought Brooklyn Bedding's #BestMattressEver. We got a medium firm Queen. We've had it for about 2 weeks and I feel it is a little too firm for me...I would prefer it a little softer. I talked to the company through chat and they said they would send a gel memory foam topper to soften it if we weren't happy after 30 days. So I will probably ask for that. I really want to like this one...from what I've read it uses good quality materials...latex and high density foam. If we don't like the memory foam topper, we might try a softer latex topper. 

My son bought a Leesa and is happy with it. He said it did feel pretty firm at first, but he's used to it now and likes it. 

If we end up sending our Brooklyn Bedding mattress back, I think I will try another latex mattress, maybe through SleepEz. You pick each layer and pretty much build your own. It is more expensive, though. 

Good luck with your mattress search. The amount of choices is overwhelming! 

• Like 1

I don't know if you are interested in memory foam, but we bought a Loom and Leaf a little less than a year ago and are happy with it.  We got the firm and I hardly ever remember waking with a sore morning back anymore.  (I had back surgery a year and a half ago)  If it was just me, I would have gotten the less firm one, but this one is fine with a mattress pad.  If I remember correctly, they do have a great return policy. 

• Like 1

Yes! Same here. We not so fondly call it our rock.

We have a king and two twins, and have had them for several years. They are all very dense and ... rock-like. :(

I'm sorry you're having the same issue.

Oh, well good to know it's not just me!  I even was good about flipping them, but it didn't help.

My main concern is that I want a more non-toxic option, so no flame retardants, etc., and the Casper seemed like the easiest and cheapest choice.  I hadn't heard of the Saatva and the Leesa, so now, I have too many options again!  I do appreciate the Casper return policy.  I will have to look up what the return policy is on the others.

Thanks for sharing, everyone!  

• Like 1

The Saatva and the Loom and Leaf appear to be sister brands, with the Saatva being a coil mattress and the Loom and Leaf all memory foam.  How do I know which we prefer?  They seem pretty similar in price, and both eco-friendly and made in the USA.  I just want to make a decision and order one!

The Chris Loves Julia blog talks about them a bit, if you search their archives. They have both a Casper and a Leesa, and they prefer the Leesa. Everything I've heard says the Leesa is a bit softer and less foamy than the Casper, so that will probably be our next mattress.

I can't tell if the Leesa is eco-friendly.  It doesn't seem to say anything about that on their website.

Oh, well good to know it's not just me! I even was good about flipping them, but it didn't help.

My main concern is that I want a more non-toxic option, so no flame retardants, etc., and the Casper seemed like the easiest and cheapest choice. I hadn't heard of the Saatva and the Leesa, so now, I have too many options again! I do appreciate the Casper return policy. I will have to look up what the return policy is on the others.

Thanks for sharing, everyone!

Keep us posted on what you find?

We need non-outgassing inasmuch as that's possible, for health reasons. No flame retardants, no VOCs.

No foam or latex either.

We were good with flipping ours, too, but very disappointed now. :(

• Like 1

We recently bought a Saatva too, it's been about a month and we are very pleased with it.

I found a comparison website when I was trying to learn more about the Casper mattress, based on our preferences the Saatva was recommended. I just deleted the link so I don't remember what website I used.

• Like 2

Keep us posted on what you find?

We need non-outgassing inasmuch as that's possible, for health reasons. No flame retardants, no VOCs.

No foam or latex either.

We were good with flipping ours, too, but very disappointed now. :(

Both the Saatva and the Casper have foam.  Gosh, you might be stuck with the cotton/wool you have now.  Would it help if you covered it with some kind of cover?

I think I am leaning towards the Saatva after reading the reviews here and other places online now.  

Both the Saatva and the Casper have foam. Gosh, you might be stuck with the cotton/wool you have now. Would it help if you covered it with some kind of cover?

I think I am leaning towards the Saatva after reading the reviews here and other places online now.

Ugh. My back is unhappy. :(

We might try some of the White Lotus mattress toppers.

The Saatva and the Loom and Leaf appear to be sister brands, with the Saatva being a coil mattress and the Loom and Leaf all memory foam.  How do I know which we prefer?  They seem pretty similar in price, and both eco-friendly and made in the USA.  I just want to make a decision and order one!

We faced the same issue. In the end we were too chicken to try an all foam mattress since we've never had one before so we opted for the hybrid Saatva with some foam and coils.

I really prayed that I made the right decision for us. It's not like buying a pair of Jeans since they cost quite a bit. So far, I am happy.

It is such a personal decision since everyone has different needs.

Ugh. My back is unhappy. :(

We might try some of the White Lotus mattress toppers.

That's always a horrible feeling. Do you know if you would do better on a softer mattress or is it the age of your current mattress that is causing problems?

I have a congenital back issue plus our mattress was so misshapen by the time we discarded it, I knew I had to do something. I was almost embarrassed when they picked it up after delivering the new one.

That's always a horrible feeling. Do you know if you would do better on a softer mattress or is it the age of your current mattress that is causing problems?

I have a congenital back issue plus our mattress was so misshapen by the time we discarded it, I knew I had to do something. I was almost embarrassed when they picked it up after delivering the new one.

I think it's the mattress.  The White Lotus mattresses are like wool and cotton - and are almost like a futon.  They are beautifully handmade, and we loved ours for the first few years.  We've flipped and rotated it fairly often, but I think it's just compressed.  Sleeping on various other mattresses (hotels, guest rooms, etc) - I seem to feel better re: hips and lower back, so I *think* it's the mattress.

Going to do some research, and see if there are other options.  This thread has given me some new leads, so that's exciting!

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Have not heard of Casper but we just got a Saatva, organic cotton and no whiff of chemicals and all that off gassing you get with so many others.

I was also concerned about not seeing the mattress since Saatva is online but it turned out it's the best mattress I have owned in a while.

Sitting on it does not really tell us much either since we get used to it after we sleep on it for several nights. Once someone had pointed this out to me, I just took the plunge and, so far, have not regretted it.

We also have a Saatva, and I love it!  Their customer service is really amazing too.  

• Like 1