Menu

3 teens killed in home invasion

Scarlett

Re: security systems

I'm all for every variation of electronic monitoring and alerting.  That said, around here, they tend to become like the boy who cried wolf.  Our community fines for more than one false alarm in a certain period of time. (I don't remember the period of time.)  Authorities don't respond with a "normal" sense of urgency because they are false alarms more often than not. And it can be a good 20 minute drive from the barracks to my house. (Fire adds volunteers' commute from their houses to the firehouse.)

We can't even use basic motion detector lights outside because of our wildlife, and that does frustrate me.  

That's interesting because I think that laws quoted for the State would seem not agree with that:  ....

Yes, in OK the person might not be charged for shooting an intruder who dropped their weapon, or shooting an intruder in the back for that matter.  In my circumstances if I were in that situation, if an intruder moved an inch, I'd pull the trigger, whether they had a visible weapon or not.  The very fact that they had a weapon in my home is reason enough.  

The main difference I see in the typical state laws in the US vs UK is the cases of drunk teens (individually in separate incidents) breaking into houses to sleep, getting shot, and the homeowner not charged.  I'm assuming they would be charged in the UK.  

There are plenty of cases of  US homeowners getting charged when there is evidence they expected a break in and were planning to shoot an intruder (after repeated break ins where the homeowner suspects the culprit typically).  The case mentioned above of someone who went out to get a gun and shot through a shower curtain, without calling the police first, and not in his own home.  Also a recent case of someone who shot two men assaulting his girlfriend in the yard, after the police suspected gang ties and the victim/shooter couple were uncooperative.   

So yes, many of these state laws allow a person to shoot an intruder and assume they are protected by law, in a way that is not assumed in UK common law.  

I haven't read all the posts, but I'm surprised. 

This statement from above stands out to me    "The Legislature hereby recognizes that the citizens of the State of Oklahoma have a right to expect absolute safety within their own homes or places of business."

I expect this too. This is my house. You are not allowed to enter it UNLESS I invite you in. In any other circumstance (not assuming police responding to someone screaming in the house or evidence of a fire), you are breaking the law. You are already a criminal by your very presence in my house. I don't have a lot of sympathy for you. You show up with masks and weapons? I have even less regard for you, and your very appearance is threatening. 

• Like 3