Menu

Bean recipes!

mom31257

I need to make beans for a taco bar this week. This will be feeding needy families at a reading program in our local library, so kids will make up a big portion of the crowd. Personally, My family loves black beans better than pinto, but which do you think kids will like better? 

Please share your favorite recipe you think kids will enjoy, too.

Thanks!

I know a lot of people that prefer pinto over black beans.

Either variety are good slow cooked with a can of diced chilis and diced onions.  I usually throw in cumin, a little garlic, and plenty of salt.  I have heard over the years to never season or add salt until the end, but I've never had any issues adding it at the beginning, and they taste bland to me if I don't.

Don't know where you live, but I'd go for what looks most "normal" to kids of your area, or would seem least "odd tasting" to kids. So, I'm guessing either pintos or refried beans.

Cans of refried beans would be super easy and would allow the tacos be be made as tosadas if people prefer that -- or as a side dish. But if people don't typically eat refried beans in your area, then that may seem "weird" to kids.

For more of a ranchero style -- get a ham hock, and toss it in a big pot with 1-2 chopped onions, diced garlic, pinto beans and double the amount of water to beans, and spices such as cumin and chili powder to taste. The Santa Cruz chili powder variety is lovely -- wonderful flavor but not strongly spicy for those who don't like too much heat. Slow cook over low heat all day. Stir from time to time and add more water as needed to prevent beans from going dry, but not so much as to be soupy. About an hour before finishing cooking, season with salt (waiting on the salt helps prevent the beans from toughening.)

Pull out the ham hock, shred off any meat, dice it up and stir into the beans. Top with shredded sharp cheddar cheese and optional minced cilantro, and put in fresh-cooked flour tortillas -- yum!

There's a good chance the kids may completely by-pass side dishes such as Mexican rice or beans, and just eat more tacos...

Edited by Lori D.

We prefer black beans too, but I think more kids prefer pinto.  I agree that canned is easiest, but if you're in the mood to make your own, we've used this recipe:

One bag dry pinto beans (after rinsed and drained)

One jar salsa

One large whole white onion, cut into quarters

One teaspoon cumin

Two-four garlic cloves (you can mince ahead of time, or mash them after they're cooked)

Put everything into a slow cooker.  Cover with water.  (So it's just covered.)  Turn it on high and cook away.  Sometimes if everything seems close to done earlier than I want, I turn it down to low.  If it needs a touch more water as it's cooking, add a bit.  I usually put it together in the morning and let it cook most of the day.

After beans are nice and soft, along with onions and garlic cloves, mash it all together.  You can add salt and pepper if you like.  (Actually, the recipe might call for adding some salt earlier too, but I can't remember.)

Edited by J-rap

None of  my kids will eat pinto at all.  Black beans they will eat if I put them on their plate but none of them would choose them if they could avoid it. I think a lot of kids will probably just skip the beans.  Personally I think refried are disgusting.  I'd vote for a pot of black beans (dried) cooked with spices.

We prefer black beans too, but I think more kids prefer pinto. I agree that canned is easiest, but if you're in the mood to make your own, we've used this recipe:

One bag dry pinto beans (after rinsed and drained)

One jar salsa

One large whole white onion, cut into quarters

One teaspoon cumin

Two-four garlic cloves (you can mince ahead of time, or mash them after they're cooked)

Put everything into a slow cooker. Cover with water. (So it's just covered.) Turn it on high and cook away. Sometimes if everything seems close to done earlier than I want, I turn it down to low. If it needs a touch more water as it's cooking, add a bit. I usually put it together in the morning and let it cook most of the day.

After beans are nice and soft, along with onions and garlic cloves, mash it all together. You can add salt and pepper if you like. (Actually, the recipe might call for adding some salt earlier too, but I can't remember.)

Do you soak the beans overnight first? I cook pintos and black beans in the crockpot, but soak them overnight just out of habit. Maybe I do or have to???

Do you soak the beans overnight first? I cook pintos and black beans in the crockpot, but soak them overnight just out of habit. Maybe I do or have to???

Funny, but I can't remember if I do or not!  I have so many bean recipes, and for some of them I do that.  I'm not home right now or I'd double check my recipe.  HOWEVER, I just looked up several refried bean slow cooker recipes online, and in none of them are they soaked first.  So I'm pretty I don't soak them.  Good question though!

• Like 1

We do a "fast soak" -- put the beans and water in a heavy pot, bring to a boil, turn the water off, put the lid on and let sit for 2 hours. Pour off the water and rinse (which also helps reduce the "gas-i-ness" of beans), and then put back in the big kettle pot with fresh water, add the onions, ham hock, seasonings etc., and then slow simmer on the stove all day. I've never crock-potted beans, but think that would work very well for even heating. :)

• Like 1