Menu

Cadillac Escalade....What are your experiences..Good or bad

Ottakee

DH is considering a used Escalade.

Maybe an 05-09 or so. AWD.

He has previously had very good luck with buying used Cadillac DeVille that are 8-10 years old. He said he find that people that own them tend to be older and maintain their vehicles very well and drive responsibly.

Do they only come in 7 passenger models are do some come as 8?

Anything good or bad? Gas mileage? Towing (would be just a lightweight Wave runner trailer)?

I have a 2008 Escalade. We have had no serious problems with it, but I would disagree with your DH's assessment for Escalades. In the past, Cadillacs were more likely to be 60+ age cohort, but Cadillac made successful efforts to change that perception and it isn't true now. The Escalade is the choice SUV for young people who want to exude luxury. Ours was not brand new, but it had been a dealer's car, so it was lightly used and not old.

There is an EXT version that has more cargo space; these are on a very long frame like the Chevy Suburban. We don't have the EXT version and I have to have at least one back seat folded up in order to carry anything meaningful, such as for a Costco run or a weekend trip. The regular cargo space with the seats down is miniscule. I can fit an umbrella, an emergency kit and a lunch box.

I am not sure if there are versions that have a bench seat in the middle or not. Ours has buckets in the middle. The Denali does have a version that has a bench in the center. Our farthest-back row is, TBH, pretty horrible for anyone taller than 5'. There's really no leg room to speak of. Three people can theoretically sit back there, but they will have to point their feet into the aisle space on an angle. It's miserable unless you are very tiny.

Finally, for hauling families and all their attendent gear, it's hard to beat a minivan. The space just makes a lot more sense. We are spoiled by having a van and the Escalade, so I could always choose van if necessary. But the Caddy is absolutely a very comfortable and luxurious ride. The Bose sound system is beautiful. The seats are comfortable (well the buckets are) and the ride is very smooth.

I have owned 4 of them over the years, but, I always bought new. I could not tell you what a used one would be like. I can tell you that I never had any problems. I can also tell you that routine maintenance is cheap. They do take premium gas so figure that into the cost. Most of mine got around 14 mpg. Insurance is relatively inexpensive.

I have owned 4 of them over the years, but, I always bought new. I could not tell you what a used one would be like. I can tell you that I never had any problems. I can also tell you that routine maintenance is cheap. They do take premium gas so figure that into the cost. Most of mine got around 14 mpg. Insurance is relatively inexpensive.

OUCH on the premium gas and MPG.  Dh is a mechanic on the side and can do most repairs.

I have a 2008 Escalade. We have had no serious problems with it, but I would disagree with your DH's assessment for Escalades. In the past, Cadillacs were more likely to be 60+ age cohort, but Cadillac made successful efforts to change that perception and it isn't true now. The Escalade is the choice SUV for young people who want to exude luxury. Ours was not brand new, but it had been a dealer's car, so it was lightly used and not old.

There is an EXT version that has more cargo space; these are on a very long frame like the Chevy Suburban. We don't have the EXT version and I have to have at least one back seat folded up in order to carry anything meaningful, such as for a Costco run or a weekend trip. The regular cargo space with the seats down is miniscule. I can fit an umbrella, an emergency kit and a lunch box.

I am not sure if there are versions that have a bench seat in the middle or not. Ours has buckets in the middle. The Denali does have a version that has a bench in the center. Our farthest-back row is, TBH, pretty horrible for anyone taller than 5'. There's really no leg room to speak of. Three people can theoretically sit back there, but they will have to point their feet into the aisle space on an angle. It's miserable unless you are very tiny.

Finally, for hauling families and all their attendent gear, it's hard to beat a minivan. The space just makes a lot more sense. We are spoiled by having a van and the Escalade, so I could always choose van if necessary. But the Caddy is absolutely a very comfortable and luxurious ride. The Bose sound system is beautiful. The seats are comfortable (well the buckets are) and the ride is very smooth.

LOL I have a good friend who had an Escalade but had to get rid of it because she works in politics and the image consultant said her candidate couldn't ride in it. The image consultant said they are not conservative anymore, lol.

The thing that always surprised me when I drove it was how much it is like driving a truck. A high end truck, but it is still a truck. 

• Like 1

We have some extended family who has one with over 300,000 miles on it who still love it.  They don't drive it everyday, but they use it when there's some snow or they're taking their dogs somewhere or for a more comfortable 4 hour commute to see the nieces and nephews every few weeks.  We have a GMC Yukon with over 100,000 miles on it, which I understand is the same vehicle with a different trim package that we love too.  I'd strongly consider a new one when the current one needs replacing.  I prefer the Yukons slightly because they're a bit less ostentatious.  We have the XL Denali package so I think it's as comfortable as the Escalade but lacks the wood trim.  We have room for 7 with our seating.

• Like 1

OUCH on the premium gas and MPG. Dh is a mechanic on the side and can do most repairs.

Just FYI, I do not buy premium gas. But it is not fuel-efficient in any case.