Menu

south carolina beaches (Hunting Island and Hilton Head)...

bettyandbob

Oh wow i didn't realize we just missed Hurricane Matthew when we went camping at Hunting island last fall. We went in October. Anyways the website says all the hunting park is closed except for the nature center and some of the pier. Says a lot of the ocean side campsites were taken out and renovations on them won't be done till December 2017 so I assume the beach itself was hit hard.

Hunting Park is closed. My in-laws live close and say that it was hit rather hard. The bathrooms were destroyed, campsites were washed aways, etc...Hilton Head was put back together rather quickly. A cousin was excited with all the over-time he got cleaning up golf courses. 

Honestly, I would call the state and find out if there are plans to re-open it this summer. There is some updated information on the Friends of Hunting Island page, but I'm not sure how recent it is. 

We go to Hilton Head Island every year. I have never been to Hunting Island before, so I can't compare the two. I think if you decide to go to HHI, you will enjoy yourselves as long as you don't expect it to be like Hunting Island. It is a great place to relax and has a lot of things for families to do. Plus, beach time!