Menu

Help for planning SAT re-takes, ACT, etc.

Tiramisu

Dd took the SAT in February and I was going to have her take them again in June and October. Meanwhile I was going to have her try the ACT.

Her guidance counselor for some reason wasn't keen on the ACT and encouraged her to take the SAT at least once more before trying the ACT. She has the responsibility of getting us fee waivers and she has been very helpful. But the timing is tough for what she suggests because then we couldn't schedule an ACT before getting the new scores in the SAT, which wouldn't be until June for the May SAT.

I'm just waffling about what to do.

But there is only one goal, which is: increase the math score to maximize scholarships. I'm looking at some tutoring now for that.

Would there be any practical benefit to taking the May and June SAT? Someone in the SAT tutoring world recommended both May and June tests to me. ??

Then I was going to do a last one in October, but now there's an August test date.

I'm just confused.

My oldest made a big jump between the second test and third so I planned three tests. Is taking the SAT four times over the top?

What's the best plan for dates for the SAT?

And how should the ACT fit in?

Have you tried the official books for both - the ones with real released exams, rather than the ones where other companies have tried to create mock exams. Maybe have her try a few of those and see which one she is doing better with? I would think you could narrow down her stronger exam using that and then focus on prepping for that one.  

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 1

Tomorrow is the late registration deadline for the April ACT, so you're probably looking at June. I would register her for the May SAT and the June ACT, and see how she does on each. Then you can can target your prep over the summer to the test where she does best and register for either the August SAT or the September ACT. Or do both, if it seems she is doing reasonably well on both.

One thing to consider is that some of the schools we looked at wanted either the SAT + 2 subject tests *or* the ACT so, depending on the schools your DD is interested in, there may be an advantage in taking the ACT if you don't want to do subject tests.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 2

Have you tried the official books for both - the ones with real released exams, rather than the ones where other companies have tried to create mock exams. Maybe have her try a few of those and see which one she is doing better with? I would think you could narrow down her stronger exam using that and then focus on prepping for that one.  

There are 7 full released exams on the Khan website in both online and pdf formats for free.

• Like 2

If I could get a free ACT and have her take it under real test conditions, that could be very helpful.

https://www.act.org/content/dam/act/unsecured/documents/Preparing-for-the-ACT.pdf

When done under real test conditions, it has been a close match for my kids. Both were exhausted by the 4th section which is science. My oldest had a near perfect for math after algebra 2 which bumps the composite score up.

This webpage has links to older practice tests. Only writing has change so the old practice tests are still useful.

http://blog.prepscholar.com/printable-act-practice-tests-5-free

ETA:

For SAT we took the June dates because my kids academics end by mid May (final exams for outsourced classes) most of the time. So they had about a fortnight to recharge and prep before test day.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

https://www.act.org/content/dam/act/unsecured/documents/Preparing-for-the-ACT.pdf

When done under real test conditions, it has been a close match for my kids. Both were exhausted by the 4th section which is science. My oldest had a near perfect for math after algebra 2 which bumps the composite score up.

This webpage has links to older practice tests. Only writing has change so the old practice tests are still useful.

http://blog.prepscholar.com/printable-act-practice-tests-5-free

ETA:

For SAT we took the June dates because my kids academics end by mid May most of the time. So they had about a fortnight to recharge and prep before test day.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I am bumping for any other ideas/recommendations.

We are in NC and they give all Juniors the ACT for free at all public high schools.  My son just got his ACT results back and they aren't stellar.  They are fairly average.  

He would like to take a class and retake it, probably studying over the summer and retaking in September.

It looks like his scores are "good enough" to get into a decent/non-flagship school, but he would like to raise the scores if possible.

We are also wondering if he should take the SAT.  In NC the ACT seems to be king, but we are most likely moving back to CA next summer and he really has his mind set on a CA school.  The schools he is looking at take either, but seem to prefer the SAT.  Not sure it really matters if he takes the SAT if his scores are good on the ACT though, and don't want to waste our time or energy unnecessarily.

Edited by DawnM