Menu

Seeking suggestions/recipes for non-lettuce salads

Greta

Caprese salad is my favorite. It's a bit early for good tomatoes, but sliced fresh tomatoes and sliced fresh mozzarella layered and topped with police oil, balsamic vinegar, and basil.

I love this salad too, but think that the addition of vinegar destroys the delicate balance of flavors. In Italy it is never served with vinegar. Try it without. Also, I use a good, fruity olive oil in place of the police oil. ;)

Ther favorites here that I haven't seen mentioned are lentil salads, beet salad, chickpea salad, and slata mechouia.

• Like 2

I love this salad too, but think that the addition of vinegar destroys the delicate balance of flavors. In Italy it is never served with vinegar. Try it without. Also, I use a good, fruity olive oil in place of the police oil. ;)

Ther favorites here that I haven't seen mentioned are lentil salads, beet salad, chickpea salad, and slata mechouia.

I will try it without the vinegar when the tomatoes are ready! Thanks.

And I fixed the "police" thing. I feel like I was caught with something in my teeth and someone finally let me know! I guess that's appropriate for this thread.

Edited by idnib
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Love the recipes posted so far. Went to a party at Christmas and had to get the recipe for these two that were so good.

Spanish pasta salad:

canned garbanzo beans, roasted red peppers and Spanish chorizo (not Mexican, two different things). I get my chorizo from amazon prime, I am able to find one of the brands imported from Spain that I am familiar with from growing up in Miami. It was dressed with good Spanish olive oil and Spanish sherry vinegar and of course salt an pepper.

Quinoa Greek salad

The quinoa is a recipe from a friend and it is influenced by a Greek salad. Cook the quinoa with salt or bullion and let cool. Add cucumbers, tomato, black olives, red onion and feta. Dress with red wine vinegar and olive oil.

• Like 1

Carrot Salad (Good with Mediterranean/Middle Eastern Lamb dishes) 

1# carrots peeled and shredded

1 C packed cilantro leaves

dressing:
1 piece of ginger (about 1 in. long) peeled and finely grated
2 TBSP white wine vinegar
2 TBSP honey

1/4 C extra virgin olive oil

Mediterranean Chopped Salad (Good with Mediterranean/Middle Eastern Lamb dishes, pitas and hummus, or couscous)

1 cucumber peeled,  seeded,  chopped (put in strainer with salt to taste for 15 min. then press water out of it before adding to the mixing bowl)
3 plum/Roma tomatoes seeded and chopped (put in strainer with salt to taste for 15 min. then press water out of it before adding to the mixing bowl)
1 green bell pepper seeded, chopped

1/4 red onion or 1 shallot, peeled and minced or thinly sliced
1 C pitted Kalamata (Greek) olives
8 pepperocini peppers minced or thinly sliced
juice of 2 lemons
salt and pepper to taste
1 C crumbled feta cheese (optional)

Thai Carrot-Ginger Salad (Good with Thai/Vietnamese marinated meats or fish dishes)

1# carrots shaved with veg. peeler
2 TBSP chopped cilantro

Dressing:
1 clove garlic crushed
1 tsp. peeled, grated ginger

zest 1 lime
juice 2 limes
1 TBSP veg. oil
salt to taste

Basil Cucumber Salad (Good with Vietnamese marinated meats)

2 med. cucumbers peeled, seeded, chopped
at least 2 TBSP basil leaves thinly sliced (we use an entire small package)

Dressing:
3 TBSP rice vinegar
2 tsp. granulated sugar

1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp. ginger peeled, finely grated

1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper (optional)