Menu

Friends with kids who are older than yours

Cara4497

Game night. Uno is popular in our family right now. The 5 year old could be on a team with someone if the game is too difficult for her to handle.

Movie night, geared more toward the 5 year old.

Bowling, trampoline place, swimming.

It's going to depend on the older girls a little bit but you can figure things out.

• Like 1

My kids are older now and there's very little that could span 5 years at that age. Mine would rather stay home (and I'm assuming there are siblings older than 10 at home). At best I think maybe a movie, or something outside with mom oversight. My kids are not babysitting fruitlessly so expecting them to watch someone else's kids wouldn't work long time.

Edited by FriedClams
  • Like 1

It depends on the children and their interests and personalities. Physical activities such as swimming, skating, hiking, wall climbing, etc. I could see the 10 and 5 year old boys doing computer games together; the girls could join if they were into that, too. Something to do with animals might be a bridge if that was a common interest and there was access to it (e.g., riding, wildlife sanctuary). 

I am the mom with the older kids in my circle, and it can be strangely isolating!  I get forgotten since we have aged out of things like play group, etc.  So my advice is to just remember to invite her along.  Maybe her 10 year old will be bored or she won't want to go, but you can always err on the side of inviting.  

Things my older kids enjoy:  Going to the park. Big games like baseball or kickball or soccer that can be played with several families of all ages. Hiking. Bike rides. Going to the pool or lake. Meeting up at the library. Checking out interesting things around town - museum, nature center, ice cream shop, movie, animal sanctuary, river walk, art, etc. Hanging out - I can always bring electronics for the older ones if we will be hanging out with friends with just little ones.  Even the Chick-Fil-A play place is still fun for my ds.

Things my older kids don't enjoy: an expectation that they will be the babysitter or entertainer for younger kids all the time. They are happy to do it some times, but not allllllll the time.  

• Like 2

Is it necessary that the kids be involved when you get together with the parents? Can you meet the mom for coffee while your dh watches your child and your friend's dh watches her kids?

Do you have a babysitter who can watch your son while you and your dh go out to dinner with the other couple?

• Like 2

Is it necessary that the kids be involved when you get together with the parents? Can you meet the mom for coffee while your dh watches your child and your friend's dh watches her kids?

Do you have a babysitter who can watch your son while you and your dh go out to dinner with the other couple?

This is a good point!  I really love going for a walk or run with a friend - something about walking and talking!  Love it!!  It's more fun without kids...  I even walk with a friend at 5 am sometimes so we can see each other and chat and walk without interruption.  (I'm not sure if the 4:45am wake up is actually worth it, though)

• Like 2