Menu

If you get cold sores, what makes them feel better/heal faster?

Ali in OR

I think my disabled dd is starting to get cold sores--my mom had them, so I recognize what they look like, but this is new for her. I've never had them and I don't really know what would help dd. She has one under her nose that is all cracked and crusty. Does vaseline feel good, or does it need to be able to air out? Dd had one on her lip last month and I was using carmex on it--not sure if that is ok for nose too. I do know enough not to touch the cold sores with my bare hands. What would be helpful? Is there anything I should avoid using? Thanks.

They are evil and really not much helps IMO. I bought a expensive tube of some newish med that isisuppose to shorten the time....but I can't tell it helps much.

I put tea tree oil on mine.....and carmex at other times.....generally two full weeks for them to completely heal. A few days until the pain lessens

• Like 1

I get them in and on my nostrils, too. Beastly virus. I hate it. I do find that Abreeva helps, but it's best if you get ahead of it at the first hint that it's coming, which may be hard for you to tell with your DD. I can tell on myself because there's a stinging there and I know one is coming on.

Ibuprophen also helps with both pain and reducing inflamation. I usually have one day that it hurts quite a lot and the next day I think I might lose my mind, but then it settles down and becomes bearable. Mine usually last about a week. Wash hands fastidiously, especially if it's weeping. Be careful she doesn't spread it to her eyes or genitals.

• Like 1

Be careful she doesn't spread it to her eyes or genitals.

Ugh. We can keep her out of her diaper as she wears a onesie, but keeping her hands out of her eyes is virtually impossible. She's visually impaired and kind of "stims" by pressing in on her eyelids. And I've seen her lightly touch the cold sore.

Abreva, Abreva, Abreva! The only thing that helps me once a cold sore is actually present. And it helps quite fast, too. It's expensive for that little tube, but it only takes a tiny bit. 

If I feel the tingle before it comes on, applying ice (as long and as often as possible) can help prevent or minimize it, and that's what I used to do. Now, however, I just keep Abreva in the house at all times, and go straight to that at the first tingle.

• Like 2

Ugh. We can keep her out of her diaper as she wears a onesie, but keeping her hands out of her eyes is virtually impossible. She's visually impaired and kind of "stims" by pressing in on her eyelids. And I've seen her lightly touch the cold sore.

Hmm. That presents a potential difficulty. I'm not sure how you could help that. I know it is not good to get the virus in one's eyes and it takes readily to mucus membranes. I don't know how/if that could complicate her vision impairments. I might ask her doctor about that if it were me.

• Like 1

You might want to talk to the doctor about oral antiviral meds if you're concerned about her spreading it. Ds had a horrible case last summer that started as cellulitis and then developed HSV1 (the cold sore virus). The outbreak was on his face and close enough to his eye to worry the pediatrician. We have a standing order for an antiviral (valacyclovir) for when he has anything pop up. He's had a sore come up twice since on his face. The meds have helped him a lot.

• Like 1

Acyclovir or valacyclovir oral tablets.   Take a high dose for 5 days on the first outbreak.  Follow up treatments for outbreaks may only need to be 3 days if you catch the outbreak at the beginning. The other nice thing about oral tablets is that they treat 'everywhere' so they also work on new sores that could be forming that haven't erupted yet. The ointment/cream versions of these meds are very expensive (topical versions are often not covered on insurance) and not nearly as effective. Topicals also stop working if they are rubbed or licked off.   PCPs or dentists often write the script so if one of the won't write it based on a phone call, try the other provider.  Acyclovir comes in a liquid if she doesn't swallow pills. 

Abreva OTC helps to keep the virus from damaging new cells so it is great to apply topically. Watch the ingredients if you buy a generic.  There are several products that are in similar packaging that are not the same as Abreva.   IT doesn't make old lesions go away, but is wonderful for keeping the lesions from spreading.

L-lysine in oral tablets or topical form (chapstick formulas are found in dental care aisle in larger stores) help your body rebuild new, healthy tissue.

Keeping the sores covered and moist help some people with the discomfort. Some people like more natural items like coconut oil, but anything helps.  Vaseline, carmex blistex, softer chapsticks....etc.  There are OTC medicated topicals for pain if she is really uncomfortable, but they can taste bad and if she doesn't understand why she is numb she may chew on it and make it worse. 

The absolute best thing is Acyclovir/valacylobvir....hands down.  If you get a script ask the doctor for enough med for this treatment and a refill.  Get therefill filled and keep on hand for a future outbreak.  The earlier it is given during a future outbreak, the better.  

Edited by Tap
  • Like 2

Thanks all. Coconut oil for tonight since we have it around. It at least looks like it feels better! Lots of good info--sounds like maybe I should schedule a visit with her PCP to develop a good strategy for this and future outbreaks. Thanks again.