Menu

Rod and Staff users help me place my child in English

MyLife

We are using Shurley English 1 this year. We like it, but we may change. Looking at the Scope and Sequence of Rod and Staff English, it seems like we could move from Shurley English 1 into Rod and Staff English 3. There would be a couple of gaps in pronouns and dictionary skills though. So. . . 

If you have used both RS 2 and RS 3, does RS 3 review the skills from the previous year? 

Also, can you think of any reasons why it would be a bad idea to skip RS 2?

It won't matter at all.  My first started with 6 (but did Growing with Grammar in  5).  My second started with 5 (just parts of speech work before that).  My 3rd just does Climbing to Good English (started in 4th or 5th with no problem).  I play around with Rod and Staff 2 with my fourth, but really there is nothing more than noun, verb, adjective and things like capitalization rules. 

I have never had any trouble jumping in at around 4th or 5th grade after just learning the basic parts of speech with any of my kids. 

• Like 1

Also agree. My oldest jumped in at #5 and was completely fine. R&S reviews everything that's been previously learned, but adds another layer to it in the next level (from what I've seen so far). This makes it easier to pop into the series midway or to skip books.

• Like 1

We are using Shurley English 1 this year. We like it, but we may change. Looking at the Scope and Sequence of Rod and Staff English, it seems like we could move from Shurley English 1 into Rod and Staff English 3. There would be a couple of gaps in pronouns and dictionary skills though. So. . . 

If you have used both RS 2 and RS 3, does RS 3 review the skills from the previous year? 

Also, can you think of any reasons why it would be a bad idea to skip RS 2?

Every English text reviews grammar (and writing and other English topics) from the previous year. In upper grades it's tough to jump in, but feel free to skip "Preparing to Build." What kind of concepts do you think would be covered for seven-year-old children that wouldn't be covered again multiple times? :-)

• Like 1

I've been using Rod and Staff English series for all my kids. It is a solid program and prepared my students well. Since it is very thorough, there are always plenty of review and reinforcement of concepts. I would't worry about skipping RS 2. 

• Like 1

She should have no problems skipping into gr. 3 R&S. They do so much review. Just a note, R&S usually covers dictionary skills in the last chapter of their books. We have used the series up through gr.9. My kids have all tested very well on the English section of their standardized tests, I know R&S had a part in that. You don't have to do all their practice problems though, it is kind of over kill in some areas. But we have appreciated the extra practice in other areas. The teacher manuals are necessary, very well done, and extremely helpful. Last note, book 5 has seemed to be one of the hardest, be prepared to spend some extra effort in that one. Happy teaching!

• Like 2