Menu

2nd Grade- Is this enough?

socody

I'm working on my 2nd graders schedule for next year. Somehow it doesn't look like "enough", although I know, I know, it's just 2nd grade. What gaps do I need to fill?

Reading- Probably just a Spectrum Reading Comprehension workbook or something-- he is already reading fairly well

Grammar- First Language Lessons 2

Spelling- All About Spelling 2

Handwriting- don't know, probably just copywork from other subjects?

Math- Math Lessons for a Living Education + XTra Math online

Science- chemistry plan I've pieced together to do with older sister

History- US History from The Story of the World

Geography- state studies & map tracing

My oldest is currently in second.

In addition to your list, he also does:

- Literature...assigned novels, some of which go along with history

- Writing...WWE

- Problem solving...Beast Academy, Singapore Word Problems, Hands on Equations, etc which are in addition to his regular math

- Art

- Typing

- Spanish

Wendy

I might add some non handwriting writing - even if it is just a gentle narration/diction worked into science or history a couple times a week. Other than that it looks pretty much like what we've done for 2nd and I feel like we've had a really good, solid year. Mr. Inquisitive is, as his nickname suggests, very inquisitive so I like to leave him lots of time to read books or explore various science/history/other subject topics beyond the scope of our formal schoolwork.

The only major thing I see missing is composition and literature. Neither need to be complicated at this age. Since you are already using FLL you might consider adding in WWE which is the WTP's composition program for early elementary. For literature, I would just read good books out loud, assigning him some books as he is able to read more.

The other thing to consider is the arts, that doesn't have to be formal of course and outside & active time, again those don't have to be any set curriculum.

I should have mentioned read-alouds. We always do those with history plus other subjects as they show interest. I'm not really interested in a formal writing program right now but he will do copywork & narration from history & science. We will also add in some composers & artists informally plus piano. He also does taekwando. So I guess I really do have the basics covered, just seems light to me?

• Like 2

I should have mentioned read-alouds. We always do those with history plus other subjects as they show interest. I'm not really interested in a formal writing program right now but he will do copywork & narration from history & science. We will also add in some composers & artists informally plus piano. He also does taekwando. So I guess I really do have the basics covered, just seems light to me?

Yep, that is everything. 2nd grade is supposed to be light. They need plenty of time to play and explore and imagine and build!

• Like 2