Menu

Tax return, have you filed yours yet?

mommyoffive

Our refund was deposited today.

We are doing some car maintenance and I am getting a laptop for my accounting work.

We are holding onto the rest for possibly moving later this year. Our son has been offered a spot at a fantastic high school and we want to move closer to the school to keep his commute manageable.

Congratulations! I have a hunch about the high school, and that's awesome.

Wait... they want us to do this again this year?  Didn't we just do it last year?  Wasn't that sufficient?  (sigh)

Since hubby is self-employed, we almost always pay in, though not just in April, 'cause it's quarterly.  In April we find out if he paid enough or not - a year end summary.

Then we still do our two college students taxes for them - paying in for them if needed.  They get the refund if there is one.   Those are usually small amounts either way.

And no, hubby hasn't really started yet other than gathering all receipts.  There's no rush for us.  He's the one who does our taxes and he loves Tax Act for software - esp due to our businesses (his and the pony farm).  If he didn't want to do them, we'd use a CPA, but I trust him and he wants to.  It saves us money over a CPA, so no complaints.  Tax Act allows us to do our boys for free with the paid package we get.

I just yesterday dropped off what I hope is the last paper needed. The whole college thing was totally new to us, so it's been a learning experience.

We'll owe, just hoping it's not as much since we changed our withholding last summer.

Edited by MooCow

I'm waiting until the deadline.

We usually wait until the day before the deadline to pay.  I can't bring myself to wait until the very last minute because I worry that something will come up and we'll forget or somehow miss it, but I see no need to pay as soon as we figure out how much.  I like to pretend we get to keep it for just a tad bit longer.

Mine are done but not filed. Usually, I have them filed earlier to get out refund or because we owed so little.

This year we're paying through the nose. I'm waiting until the deadline. And we're probably setting up a payment plan. Yeah.

I usually advise people to file electronically now so you can set up a payment plan as early as possible to minimize the penalties and interest.

Better yet, its cheaper to borrow the money from a bank if you can and pay on time.

When I file for people who will owe this year, I just set it so they will mail the check on April 18th or, if they prefer, the funds can be debited that day. That way they have their return for FAFSA and such now.

Edited by LucyStoner

Our van decided it needed repairs. Thankfully my brother's husband is super handy and can help us do the work. Because otherwise, bye bye refund.

Awww, I'm sorry. It's so nice to have a handy family member. 

It's day #3 without hot water here - the electrician is coming back for the third time trying to figure out why the new unit isn't getting power. Ugh! 

Awww, I'm sorry. It's so nice to have a handy family member.

It's day #3 without hot water here - the electrician is coming back for the third time trying to figure out why the new unit isn't getting power. Ugh!

Yes, my BIL is the best sort of IL to have. Handy and generous with his time. I'm using some of that refund money to get him a nice bottle of whisky or something and we will treat for dinner that night. We still come out $1000 ahead!

• Like 1

FAFSA now uses last year's tax returns, not the current year. (2017-18 school year uses 2015 earnings data, not 2016.) It's a very recent change.

I just noticed that today when I did two FAFSAs.

Several people I did returns for needed their return for private school stuff though- the schools wanted their returns 2/1 which considering most people get their W2s right at the end of January is a bit demanding.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1