Menu

Feingold Diet

ReadingMama1214

I used to follow this years ago. My oldest has a mix of issues. Nothing we did was an overall cure, but following feingold and later doing some elimination diet led us to find things that helped take an edge of the issues. My experience is not recent --15 years old. However eary on it became clear that artificial colors were a huge issue. In all those years we've continued avoiding artificial colors and flavors. We also stick to real sugar not high fructose corn syrup.

It didn't change everything, but frequency of problem did reduce. Plus I think the rest of the family did better with junk out of the house.

If you can find it, you might look at the book Is This Your Child too. Good stuff on doing food elimination diets to find problems.

With any diet you have to be disciplined to stick with it for a long time to see change. Healing the gut takes a while. Additionally, gut issues have a strong effect on the nervous system.

We do a modified version of the Feingold Diet. The change was like day and night. We avoid:

Colorings

All artificial colors, including Red 2, Red 3, Red 40, Blue 1, Blue 2, Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Green 3

Annatto (a natural color)

Preservatives and Synthetic Antioxidants

Benzoates: any ingredient ending in benzoate; also benzoic acid

Butylates: BHA, BHT, and TBHQ

Gallates: any ingredient ending in gallate

Nitrates & nitrites: any ingredient ending in nitrate or nitrite

Parabens: any ingredient containing the word paraben

Propionates: any ingredient ending in propionate; also propionic acid

Sorbates: any ingredient ending in sorbate; also sorbic acid

Sulphites: any ingredient ending in sulphite, bisulphite, or metabisulphite; also sulphur dioxide

Note: Low-fat and skim milk contain added vitamin A, which is preserved by BHA. Use whole milk instead.

Flavors and Flavor Enhancers

All artificial flavors and some "natural flavors" (which are often chemically identical to artificial flavors!)

Vanillin (artificial vanilla)

Disodium salts: disodium EDTA, disodium guanylate, disodium inosinate, disodium 5'-ribonucleotides

Glutamates: any ingredient ending in glutamate or diglutamate; also glutamic acid and MSG

Artificial Sweeteners

Aspartame (Nutrasweet, Equal, AminoSweet)

Sucralose (Splenda)

We also try to avoid ingredients which contain processed free glutamic acid (like MSG).

• Like 1

I once babysat a pleasant child who had a horrible melt down after taking the wrong cough syrup. I was shocked at the change in him after one teaspoon of cherry cough syrup. My friend accidentally gave him the wrong cough syrup and his mother had to take off work to come get him. It was a disaster. He went from delightful to jumping up and down yelling at the top of his lungs minutes after the syrup. I am a believer, lol. That was years ago but  I can still picture it.

• Like 1

We've done at varying levels of strictness over the years. It was a huge help, but difficult to stick with when traveling. We have a list of the biggies we avoid, the kids read labels, and we cook at home mostly. But I have relaxed as they've gotten older. Tonight at a 4h meeting for instance, they had dominoes pizza. Overall, it's made all of us more aware of what we eat, and eat healthier. And gave us all good excuses to avoid junk food and candies etc. We've also made cooking our own foods a priority since we can't grab fast food. The kids have always been on board and have always been my best label readers! Dh, not so much.

We do a modified version of the Feingold Diet. The change was like day and night. We avoid:

Colorings

All artificial colors, including Red 2, Red 3, Red 40, Blue 1, Blue 2, Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Green 3

Annatto (a natural color)

Preservatives and Synthetic Antioxidants

Benzoates: any ingredient ending in benzoate; also benzoic acid

Butylates: BHA, BHT, and TBHQ

Gallates: any ingredient ending in gallate

Nitrates & nitrites: any ingredient ending in nitrate or nitrite

Parabens: any ingredient containing the word paraben

Propionates: any ingredient ending in propionate; also propionic acid

Sorbates: any ingredient ending in sorbate; also sorbic acid

Sulphites: any ingredient ending in sulphite, bisulphite, or metabisulphite; also sulphur dioxide

Note: Low-fat and skim milk contain added vitamin A, which is preserved by BHA. Use whole milk instead.

Flavors and Flavor Enhancers

All artificial flavors and some "natural flavors" (which are often chemically identical to artificial flavors!)

Vanillin (artificial vanilla)

Disodium salts: disodium EDTA, disodium guanylate, disodium inosinate, disodium 5'-ribonucleotides

Glutamates: any ingredient ending in glutamate or diglutamate; also glutamic acid and MSG

Artificial Sweeteners

Aspartame (Nutrasweet, Equal, AminoSweet)

Sucralose (Splenda)

We also try to avoid ingredients which contain processed free glutamic acid (like MSG).

This is quite interesting. Do you mind giving examples of things you do eat?

Yep, we did it a while back (6 years ago), and while we weren't the best at getting out salicylates (in oranges, berries), we cut out everything else for a time. My kid's main sensitivity is artificial coloring, but artificial flavors are also an issue (including vanillin, which is often listed as natural).  Knowing what to look for is huge. It hasn't solved all our problems, but it was one piece of the puzzle. We later found out that the same kid is also gluten intolerant (stomach and mood issues). 

Edited by minuway

This is quite interesting. Do you mind giving examples of things you do eat?

Sure! I am lazy and don't like to cook and still manage.  :)

Any plain fruits and veggies, fresh, frozen, or canned (I read labels to avoid preservatives and flavorings)

Any unprocessed meats (chicken, beef, etc.)

Eggs

Rice

Plain pasta

Potatoes

Nuts

Oatmeal and dry cereal (we buy from the regular store and the natural foods store--I read labels)

Most unprocessed cheeses not colored with annatto (for example, string cheese, mozzarella, white American)

Homemade bread machine bread or bread from the natural food store

Tortillas from the natural foods store

Homemade baked goods and desserts

Whole milk and Rice Dream Original rice milk

Plain juices (also good mixed with carbonated water)

Cooking oils and butter

Spices and herbs (I check the labels)

Some processed foods from the natural food store, like Annie's Shells & White Cheddar, Late July Mini Peanut Butter Sandwich Crackers, Ian's Chicken Nuggets, Annie's ketchup, 365 Cinnamon Grahams

Some processed foods from regular grocery stores, like Walker's Shortbread, Lay's potato chips, Fritos, Rhodes Warm N' Serve dinner rolls, some varieties of Oscar Mayer Natural sandwich meat, Wholly Guacamole, some brands of marinara sauce and salsa, Home Run Inn pizza, Smucker's Natural Fruit Spread, Blue Bunny Vanilla Bean ice cream, generic natural peanut butter, some Pepperidge Farm cookies, Tostitos, Snack Factory Pretzel Crisps

Hope this helps. 

ETA: Forgot a few things, including some of my favorites! Beans, Larabars, some KIND bars, Ghirardelli baking chips (chocolate and white), coffee, tea, homemade lemonade, Choceur chocolate bars from Aldi...

ETA: We can eat out at steak houses (baked potatoes, plain veggies, steak), some local Mexican restaurants, some local coffee houses, and Panera. 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1