Menu

Light geometry to use alongside (2nd pass through) Alg. 1?

My DD12 will do a second year of Algebra 1 next year to solidify things since she is (1) young and (2) not a math-lover (though she is quite good at it). Since she will likely attend a high school that utilizes a rather advanced integrated math sequence (as I understand it, most students enter 9th having completed both Algebra 1 & geometry), I would like her to also have some exposure to geometry in the coming year. What would you recommend for this purpose- sort of a Pre-Geometry year? I've thought of CTC's Understanding Geometry or Math-U-See Geometry. Any opinions on either of these? or suggestions of a different program I haven't mentioned?

For what it's worth, she'll be taking 4 online classes: WHA FoEW, Alg. 1, & Life Science and WTMA French 1. We'll do history at home and utilize local classes for enrichments. Feels like a fairly full plate to me already, so I am concerned about taking on too much.

I just updated the Geometry section of the pinned High School Math thread. I've listed some past pre-geometry threads as well as, with the help of boardies, links to the epic geometry thread and various geometry curriculum.

We loved the Hands On Geometry workbook mentioned in one of those threads but I'm not sure if it is too basic for your 12yo. It gave my son a lot of practice with construction and really helped with his understanding of geometry before he started a formal study a year later.

Good luck!

I don't know how gentle it is (it seems super gentle but I'm not babysitting this one)--we are in a very similar situation --child will prob go to school. We are doing thinkwell geometry alongside Foerster algebra. Because it's self paced online, one can do bits at a time...

Edited by madteaparty

We are using MUS Geometry for a very basic geometry.  Kid has no interest in math and is just checking the box and trying to get enough exposure to get some of the geometry on the ACT.  He is being pushed in other areas and we are making sure he has his algebra solid but for various reasons not important, geometry has slid to a "get 'er done" course.  

He is generally bright but lacks motivation for classes that are not outsourced.  MUS was our choice for him and even half way through I am still waiting for it to get even a bit challenging.That said, I do think he is getting some of the basic concepts and learning.  I definitely would look at MUS for a light exposure to geometry in your case.  

One more in favor of MUS. Both of my kids are doubling up on math this year (Algebra I/Geometry for DD and Geometry/Algebra II for DS) and finding it doable. I'm doing the geometry along with them and I keep thinking it would have been a pretty light year if that's the only math we had done. But I'm also happy with what they've learned -- it is explained well and I think they have a good foundation. 

MEP math (goggle it)

I'd pick out the geometry chapters in levels 8-10 and do them. Each chapter stands alone so you don't need to worry about skipping the other chapters in MEP. It is also free which is a bonus!

edited to say - I've done exactly this for a student that I was mostly working on algebra with.

Edited by Julie of KY