Menu

Please tell me about Patty Paper Geometry

swimmermom3

DD the Elder recently started this, thanks to Sue in St. Pete. :001_smile:

It's simply brilliant. It can be used as a standalone middle school geometry course or as a supplement to traditional (US) high school geometry. Most of the constructions are done by folding, using no other tools than a pencil and straightedge. There are two paths through the book: Guided Investigations, which take the student through the problems step-by-step; and Open Investigations, each of which poses a problem and perhaps give a hint or two on how to begin. Most problems end with the formulation of a "Patty Paper Conjecture," which sums up the student's discovery, and each chapter ends with a set of review and application exercises. I give DD the Elder the Open Investigation sheets but read the guided pages myself so I can give the smallest hint possible, if necessary.

Edited by nmoira
atrocious grammar

It's simply brilliant. It can be used as a standalone middle school geometry course or as a supplement to traditional (US) high school geometry. Most of the constructions are done by folding, using no other tools than a pencil and straightedge. There are two paths through the book: Guided Investigations, which takes the student through the problems step-by-step; and Open Investigations, each of which pose a problem and perhaps give a hint or two on how to begin. Most problems end with the formulation of a "Patty Paper Conjecture," which sums up the students' discovery, and each chapter ends with a set of review and application exercises. I give DD the Elder the Open Investigation sheets but read the guided pages myself so I can give the smallest hint possible, if necessary.

I got the idea from Sue as well but thought I had seen it in someone else's sig that I looked at frequently.:D We are moving away from Saxon next year which has a fair amount of geometry built in. This looked like a cool supplement. Is the one book in the link all I need besides the papers?

I got the idea from Sue as well but thought I had seen it in someone else's sig that I looked at frequently.:D We are moving away from Saxon next year which has a fair amount of geometry built in. This looked like a cool supplement. Is the one book in the link all I need besides the papers?
:tongue_smilie:

Yes. Avoid Johnson-Rose patty paper, as it has holes punched in it.

I just bought this thanks to Moira the Budget Buster. :)

I will say that you don't need the student book. It looks to be a supplement for extra students in the class but does not have all the guided investigations just the open ones.

Secondly, after some confusion about isbn numbers, amazon does have the teacher book not the student workbook.

I just bought this thanks to Moira the Budget Buster. :)
Hey, I didn't start the thread. :D

Secondly, after some confusion about isbn numbers, amazon does have the teacher book not the student workbook.
Yes, here is the link.

It's simply brilliant. It can be used as a standalone middle school geometry course or as a supplement to traditional (US) high school geometry. Most of the constructions are done by folding, using no other tools than a pencil and straightedge. .

Is there any part that is useful to a younger child? I think I mean: does it start at the very beginning, or does it assume a certain level of knowledge (e.g. already being able to manipulate degrees, and understanding 360, 180, 90 degrees with a working knowledge)?

TIA

Is there any part that is useful to a younger child? I think I mean: does it start at the very beginning, or does it assume a certain level of knowledge (e.g. already being able to manipulate degrees, and understanding 360, 180, 90 degrees with a working knowledge)?

TIA

It assumes the student would know the basics (e.g. the sum of the measurement of the internal angles of a triangle is 180 degrees, a straight line measure 180 degrees, etc.), but it's more about relationships and developing visual/intuitive (not formal written) proofs. I wouldn't be inclined to use it as is prior to about 5th grade because it's ideally discovery based and there are a number of logical steps to solving some of the problems. However, it's not terribly expensive and is certainly something a parent could go through quickly and pick out concepts here and there to illustrate concepts. The papers themselves are a great tool.

However, it's not terribly expensive and is certainly something a parent could go through quickly and pick out concepts here and there to illustrate concepts. The papers themselves are a great tool.

Thanks! Also, my son likes to look at the "big kid books" on the shelf and dream about getting there.

Ok, fine!:glare:

Do I need the student book?

Is there any place to get slightly less patty paper? I can't imagine using 1000 sheets. Anyone want to split a box? (like 5 ways)

I have 1/2 a box I will send you for postage. PM me your address.

You do not need the student book. It is not complete. It only has the open investigations, none of the guided investigations, and not the exercises either, if I remember correctly.

Also, most papers are 5.5.x5.5". One is 6x6". Does the book require the more common, slightly smaller one??
The smaller is fine... the 6" is better if they're going to double as practice origami paper.

Thanks Sue and Moira for the info and to everyone else for clarifying what needs to be ordered and providing the links. I am excited to find this resource as it should help solve a couple of current problems or at least make the process of solving them more fun.

Now that Sue has helped me finish shopping for Foersters, I just have to place this order and I think I am done for next year.:tongue_smilie:

To a certain few of you on this thread, and you know who you are:

Yesterday, I found myself thoroughly involved in a thread, not paying attention to who was posting on it. As I was contemplating the purchase, I suddenly realized who was there. I jumped up and closed the computer. My poor dd was startled and asked me if everything was okay. "Uh, it will be...as soon as I ...go clean the bathroom...yeah, that's it. Why don't you start that 10 page paper on my computer, NOW!" maybe Shawna is on to something with that ignore list.:D

I knew there was a reason I had been avoiding the WTM forum ----

Okay, this looks fun. DD did TT Geometry this past year and we're taking a math break for 9th and doing Consumer math, the last chpt of TT Geometry and reviewing Alg before picking back up w/ Alg II in 10th. So, could this program be used as a fun refresher for a student who has completed Geometry --maybe she could even explain it to her 6th grade db???

Oh, you guys are killing me! In a good way, of course. ;)

I now have this on my amazon wish list. I will either buy it next year, the year after that, from one of you when you are finished with it, or it will show up on my doorstep when my dad sees it and orders it for me. I don't even have to look at it to know that I should get it. All my favorite girls are here. :lol:

However, I will let you all decide about LToW... I will not go to that site. No way, no how.

Edited by radiobrain

few pennies

:smilielol5:

OK I just ordered it. Should I go add it to my list on the "How Many Math Programs Do You Own?" thread? :tongue_smilie:

Jackie

Yes. It's getting outta hand over here. I'm assuming my children will finally be sufficiently educated after this very last purchase. :tongue_smilie:

Well, all that has arrived, so far, is the paper, and kiddo has already folded it in various ways and numbered the "divisions" each fold makes. So, for our current fraction study, the patty papers are doing very well. And yes we will go through 1000. I've found 3 cut into animals already.

My book has arrived, and I think DS is going to love doing this. I've been thinking about doing a non-textbooky version of Geometry after we finish Algebra (or maybe even concurrently), and I just saw this on the HS board:

I still prefer Cliff's Notes little yellow book for $10. Essential Geometry, no muss, no fuss. Summer course, then get on with Trig in PreCalc.

So I'm thinking hmmmmm..... what about some very basic essential/fundamental geometry book (Cliff's Dummies, etc), plus Patty Paper Geometry, Compass Constructions, Muggins' Geometry: The Beauty of Numbers, and a few other fun hands-on things, plus some cool TTC courses like The Shape of Nature and Mathematics of the Visual World?

Jackie

We have paper, but no book yet.

Jackie, I have 3 geometry texts here and my dd still prefers the Dummies book when she has a question. It's straightforward for sure.

Well that's Geometry sorted out, then! I recently bought Basic Math and PreAlgebra for Dummies as a possible text for my newest student (DH's 80 yo uncle), and I was surprised by how clear and straightforward and usable it was.

I like this plan. I think DS is going to LOVE this plan. :thumbup1:

Jackie

My book has arrived, and I think DS is going to love doing this. I've been thinking about doing a non-textbooky version of Geometry after we finish Algebra (or maybe even concurrently), and I just saw this on the HS board:

So I'm thinking hmmmmm..... what about some very basic essential/fundamental geometry book (Cliff's Dummies, etc), plus Patty Paper Geometry, Compass Constructions, Muggins' Geometry: The Beauty of Numbers, and a few other fun hands-on things, plus some cool TTC courses like The Shape of Nature and Mathematics of the Visual World?

Jackie

I know I am going to be sorry but Jackie,can you link for Compass Constructions and the Muggins' book? Thank you, I think.:tongue_smilie:

I know I am going to be sorry but Jackie,can you link for Compass Constructions and the Muggins' book? Thank you, I think.:tongue_smilie:

Compass Constructions is OOP I think; I bought mine around a year ago during a clearance sale at Prufrock Press. They have a new version called Hands On Geometry, but it's shorter and appears to be missing the later chapters with the more advanced constructions. The new book is listed for grades 4-6, whereas the one I have is listed for grades 5-8. :confused:

I'm also thinking the Zome Geometry book could be very very cool!

Beware the Muggins Math site — the "usual suspects" are drooling over the stuff there, and MariannNOVA and I have ordered from them already! :lol:

Jackie

The best thing about Patty Paper Geometry (to my mind) is just how impressive it will look on a child's homeschool transcripts :D

Next stop. Hamburger University :tongue_smilie:

I joke. I'm intrigued.

Bill

:lol:

After you check out Patty Paper Geo, you need to head over to the Muggins Math site. Asta has been holding out on us!

Jackie

The best thing about Patty Paper Geometry (to my mind) is just how impressive it will look on a child's homeschool transcripts :D

Next stop. Hamburger University :tongue_smilie:

I joke. I'm intrigued.

Bill

Hey! :seeya: I thought you got banned. Must have just been a time out. I didn't read that entire thread. It must have been a doozy. Welcome back.

Okay...you've got me. I ordered it:)

Now to say thank you, to what I thought I did NOT need.

I swore I did not need MCT... Thanks Marinova.

I was NOT going to use BJU 7......Thanks OhElizabeth

Hands on Equations thanks go to..... OhElizabeth also.

Patty Paper thanks to the OP for starting the thread and Sue in St. Pete for closing the deal;)

Ok, I saw this a few weeks ago over at CBD and didn't realize how critical it was to my dc's education (nor exactly what to do with it). I guess I'll have to order it today.

It does look like a great way to sneak in math over the summer.

Does this mean I need to purchase BJU 7? ;) And thanks fro sharing the Muggins site. I think.

Laura

Ok, I saw this a few weeks ago over at CBD and didn't realize how critical it was to my dc's education (nor exactly what to do with it). I guess I'll have to order it today.

It does look like a great way to sneak in math over the summer.

Does this mean I need to purchase BJU 7? ;) And thanks fro sharing the Muggins site. I think.

Laura

Oh it's very critical. Trust us.:tongue_smilie:

Laura

Can I just say the BJU 7 (New Edition) is laid out so well. The support in the TM is wonderful, I am very excited to use it. :)

Now I have everything, and I like what I see.

I have used the patty papers in math class every day, and we aren't really doing geometry! It is handy to just make folds and demonstrate doubling. In the middle of spelling I folded one diagonally and asked him why "this shape would would start with tri". It was faster than drawing one out.

After only a few pages of reading I happily point of the beginning vocabulary of geometry at any teachable moment. The PP makes good paper airplanes, and the lines back from the nose...well pretend they go on and on, and you have a RAY, etc.

You can also use good colored pencils and draw on the PP and tape them up in a sunny window for a stained glass effect.

What a pleasant surprise!

• 8 months later...
So, IOW, the 6" origami paper (colored) works just fine? I like the colors much better! ;)
Not, because it's not transparent. You need to be able to trace and layer.