Menu

Thought on Algebra choices for next year

My 13 year old has never had a great time with math.  It's been slow going but she's finally starting to make progress. This year we are using Derek Owens Pre-Algebra. I like it. It's been good for her. That said, there are things about it that worry me going forward so I'm trying to decide if I want to continue with Derek Owens or use something else. 

Most of the problem with DO is the setup. My daughter has a maximum threshold of math before she collapses and can't function. Some days DO has a LOT of videos at one time. I have to spread them out over more days than would typically be done. This wouldn't matter except that the problem sets and homework assume you have watched all of the videos so I can't just say 'ok do the first two videos and then the first 5 problems' etc. So we end up having to stretch out the problems too. This year we have been able to stay reasonably on schedule because many of the concepts are not new to hear but Algebra will be different and I worry that it will take us a decade to finish. The other thing is that I still wonder if videos are really the best way for her to learn. She fills in the notebook with notes (I like that it's setup that way) and she says that helps, but in reality she's someone who learns from reading. 

Originally when I was looking for pre-algebra I was looking for something to bridge the gap until I could get to Fresh Approach Algebra which looks to have clear, readable explanations and a uncluttered layout. (nothing I've used with my other children would be good for this one so I'm back to square one). Fresh Approach would take away the video component and is more traditionally laid out as far as read a lesson, do problems - in which the pacing would be easier to control. But DO has been reasonably successful so I'm afraid to jump.

Thoughts on either of this program? Any other DO users have scheduling issues? BTW - we are doing the 'I grade it myself' option with DO. 

Not familiar with Fresh Approach, but if you would like to continue with video lessons but ones that you can do at home and completely control the pace, here are other options:

Teaching Textbooks -- Algebra 1 through Pre-Calc

Videotext -- Algebra level (Algebra 1 + Algebra 2), and Geometry level (Geometry + Trig + Pre-Calc)

Math Relief -- Algebra 1, Algebra 2, Geometry, Trigonometry

Math-U-See -- Algebra 1 through Calculus

Chalkdust -- Algebra 1 through Calculus

Bob Jones Distance Learning -- Algebra 1 through Pre-Calc

Alpha-Omega Switched on Schoolhouse or Monarch -- Algebra 1 through Pre-Calc/Trig

Saxon, supplemented with:

Teaching Tape Technology (Algebra 1 through Advanced Math/Calculus)

- Mastering Algebra with Art Reed DVDs (Algebra 1 through Advanced Math)

- DIVE CDs (Algebra 1 through Advanced Math, Algebra 3, Calculus)

Another option is an interactive text:

Kinetic Books -- Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2 and Pre-Calculus

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

My dd is using DO pre algebra this year. A few times we split the videos over a second day. I didnt worry about any practice problems the first day. Then she would do practice and homework with the last few videos the second day. Or save the homework page for the third day right before she started the next lesson's videos. Sometimes the last homework of the week got done on the weekend.

Fwiw, my dd is not mathy, but I think she's understanding as well as she ever has. She could probably use a little more review (has a C average right now), but I think we'll probably stick with DO for algebra 1.

I've read that DO has a half-price deal that gives you access to the videos and you do the grading yourself. I think they prove you an answer key - surely that was part if it... The details are getting fuzzy because we are a few years out still. One poster commented, though, that DO wanted you to finish in 12 months. Perhaps that would be an option that lets you stick with what is working, but perhaps slew the pace slightly.

Do you already have A Fresh Approach? Are you planning on having her do it herself with you just to help when she gets stuck?

I don't see the negative to trying a different option. You can always go back to DO if AFA doesn't work.

DO (physics) didn't work for us for many reasons - one of which is my DD needs more review & I had to build it in very deliberately once we figured that out. It made everything take longer & DD does better with live class accountability. We made it through & the material was great - just not a good fit for us.

• Like 1

I've read that DO has a half-price deal that gives you access to the videos and you do the grading yourself. I think they prove you an answer key - surely that was part if it... The details are getting fuzzy because we are a few years out still. One poster commented, though, that DO wanted you to finish in 12 months. Perhaps that would be an option that lets you stick with what is working, but perhaps slew the pace slightly.

I just wanted to comment on this part, for others who may be reading . . . we're on our fourth DO class here (3 math classes and physical science). The 12-month limit might apply to the special circumstances where DO allows you to pay half-price and you do the grading yourself, but I have never seen this 12-month limit applied to the regular, DO-graded classes.

The regular, DO-graded classes do have a maximum of 9 monthly payments however . . . you only pay for 9 months at the most, even if it takes your student longer to finish the class.

Edited by TarynB

Thanks everyone. We are currently doing the DO pre-algebra with the 'I grade it' option so I can pace it however I want. What I worry about with doing that is that if I had to slow-pace the Algebra because of the large number of videos we would never finish it within the year and we can't take multiple years per math credit. 

But I'm in the same situation as Another Lynn, she's understanding well, so it may still be our best option. I asked her and she said she wasn't sure so we are going to check things out when the homeschool convention comes around. I know she'd prefer I just teach her rather than the videos, which I'm capable of, but sometimes I think the videos help. 

And  thanks for info on potential limits. I didn't know there were any so I'm going to check on that and see if I have a time limit here. We are pretty much on schedule with Pre-Algebra but I should check anyway. 

• Like 1

If you think A Fresh Approach might work for her, Derek Owens does have review videos for algebra that cover most of the topics: https://www.youtube.com/user/derekowens/playlists?sort=dd&view=50&shelf_id=4

These would be much shorter than his regular lectures.

If you still think Derek Owens is your best bet, consider having her watch a few videos first thing in the morning, then actually do her math time later in the afternoon, splitting things up.

We like the MWB videos, but dd only watches maybe 1 every couple of weeks and the occasional solution if she gets stuck. I watch them all, though. There's never more than 20 minutes a day for the lesson, usually much less. She mostly reads the directions and works the sample exercises with me.

Edited by elladarcy
  • Like 2